Old 19th March 2015, 11:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

White God (2014)

6/10.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 19th March 2015, 11:29 PM
Cult Addict

Been watching the Horror channel alot since it descended from the heavens upon the unsuspecting public.
Been hoping it would materialise upon Freeview eventually.

So far a mixed bag, but whatever way you look at it it's a big money saver if you're into dodgy horror.

2001 maniacs

Found this entertaining,i like the H.G.lewis original for the cheesy gore but if you're honest it's only half a good film, scenes drag and unless you've got a big tolerance for hillbilly tunes and bad acting it goes on half an hour too long.
This loses the kitsch naive charm but retains it's cheesy low budget sensibilities and dodgy B movie performances while upping the gore.
Retains it's tongue in cheek feel and dodgy hillbilly music, so for me was a decent remake that kept some of the spirit of the original.

7/10 because i was entertained.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 19th March 2015, 11:33 PM
Cult Addict

I'm still waiting for the other Nosferatu to take the bait, with my red rag to a bull review of the Exorcist.
Has anybody ever seen Nos and Mark Kermode in the same room?
Just out of interest.

Old 20th March 2015, 12:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Been watching the Horror channel alot since it descended from the heavens upon the unsuspecting public.
Been hoping it would materialise upon Freeview eventually.

So far a mixed bag, but whatever way you look at it it's a big money saver if you're into dodgy horror.

2001 maniacs

Found this entertaining,i like the H.G.lewis original for the cheesy gore but if you're honest it's only half a good film, scenes drag and unless you've got a big tolerance for hillbilly tunes and bad acting it goes on half an hour too long.
This loses the kitsch naive charm but retains it's cheesy low budget sensibilities and dodgy B movie performances while upping the gore.
Retains it's tongue in cheek feel and dodgy hillbilly music, so for me was a decent remake that kept some of the spirit of the original.

7/10 because i was entertained.
The only problem with the Horror Channel I have is that it so pixelated on a HD TV.
Old 20th March 2015, 12:08 AM
Cult Addict

I'm low tech, so it's all good to me.
This sums up technology to me, if everythings at different levels whats the point.
You tube must be like nails on a blackboard then.

Old 20th March 2015, 01:21 AM
Cult Addict

More from the Horror channel.

The Langoliers

Erm, mixed feelings about this.
Started watching because i felt i should watch it once and had nothing better to do.
The story premise was interesting in a Twilight Zone way, this got me hooked, some of the performances were ok in a TV movie kinda way, Dean Stockwell is always worth watching.
Watched both eps back to back, god did it drag, was about 4 hours long, might have been good at around 2 hours tops.
On the plus side the woman in the green top was kinda sexy.
The main problem with it was nothing really happened, people transported through a rip in time to a place where nothing happens, some creatures appear that don't actually do anything to affect the main characters hardly.The whole thing is a character piece, but when the actings not that great it sort of self destructs
Stephen King turns up again for no reason apart from the paycheck.
All a bit meh really.

5/10

Old 20th March 2015, 01:55 AM
Cult Addict

And another H.C viewing.

Dark night of the scarecrow.

From what i gather this was originally a TV movie, if so it's one of the greats.
Has a really great atmosphere, Durant from Dark man is a mentally challenged guy who is falsely accused of killing a girl who didn't really die,and is murdered while disguised as a scarecrow... talk about having a bad day.
The scene when he get's killed is pretty haunting and powerful.
The four guys responsible get let off, so it is up to karma to sort it all out.
I had seen this when i was a kid and didn't rate it much. watching again i appreciated the creepy atmosphere, decent performances and sense of impending doom a lot more.
Hardly any blood but i found it effective, only wished there was more scarecrow action because the actual costume is creepy.Loved the final scene with the little girl.
Recommended if you're looking for atmosphere over blood.
8/10

Old 20th March 2015, 08:13 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I'm still waiting for the other Nosferatu to take the bait, with my red rag to a bull review of the Exorcist.
Has anybody ever seen Nos and Mark Kermode in the same room?
Just out of interest.
I'm pretty sure my opinion about The Exorcist is well known and, although you're entitled to your opinion, you're wrong!
Old 20th March 2015, 09:52 AM
Cult Addict

Admittedly i have to give The Exorcist another go, like Friedkins other considered classic French Connection i fell asleep the first twice i sat to watch The Exorcist, unlike The French Connection (which i thoroughly enjoyed) on the third try i still wasn't impressed. The narrative just seemed to be all over the shop. Regans mother worry and attempts to get help didn't seem to synch with Regan's actual behaviour. It felt as if Friedkin was rushing to get to the shocks and falling over himself on the way.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th March 2015, 10:21 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Personally, I think not only is The Exorcist one of the best horror films of all time, it's one of the great American films period. Watching The Exorcist on the big screen is one of the best theatrical experiences I've had.

Like this? Share it using the links below!