Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2014, 06:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't seen He's Just Not That into You, but I've seen The Love Guru, which is truly abysmal and has almost single-handedly destroyed Mike Myers' career.
I think you're right there Nosferatu.

The only films he's been in since The Love Guru in 2008 have been Inglorious Basterds (as Ed Fenech - See what QT did there ) and 2010's Shrek Forever After.
Old 29th March 2014, 07:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I haven't seen He's Just Not That into You, but I've seen The Love Guru, which is truly abysmal and has almost single-handedly destroyed Mike Myers' career.
The Love Guru really is terrible. But at least it's kind of meant to be stupid.
Now He's Just Not That Into You is just painful. Characters just randomly aimlessly behaving in the most preposterous ways for no apparent reason. I went to the cinema with thr missus to watch it and went to the loo numerous time just for something to do. Found myself walking around the lobby reading leaflets. Terrible film.
Old 29th March 2014, 07:36 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The only films he's been in since The Love Guru in 2008 have been Inglorious Basterds (as Ed Fenech - See what QT did there ) and 2010's Shrek Forever After.
Case closed. The prosecution rests. QED. The film really is that bad!
Old 29th March 2014, 07:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
The Love Guru really is terrible. But at least it's kind of meant to be stupid.
It's meant to be funny, but it is very stupid, racist and deeply offensive!

This is from the Guardian on February 27, 2009:

A Hindu leader – Rajan Zed, who had condemned The Love Guru for patronising his religion – has invited Myers to attend a Hindu temple, pay obeisance, express some remorse and, maybe, just maybe, he might be forgiven. "Although Myers's temple visit would not undo the damage done to the community," said Zed, "it might help heal the wounds."
Old 29th March 2014, 07:49 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This is part of John Patterson's 2008 Guardian review:

If you're easily offended, then the movie's interminable torrent of dick jokes, diarrhoea explosions, gay panic (is there something you'd like to tell us, Mike?), and serial midget humiliations will furnish endless grist for your mill of outrage. But even a high tolerance for this kind of thing can't prevent the onset of profound boredom as Mini-Me actor Verne Troyer takes his millionth hockey puck to the plums, Myers launches a Bollywood-style staging of Dolly Parton's 9 To 5, and characters show up bearing names like Guru Tugginmypudha. We are regaled with Jessica Alba playing her 18th honey-sculpted bimbo in as many movies, plus Ben Kingsley shaming himself as the aforementioned onanistically-monickered guru.
Old 29th March 2014, 08:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

So cool
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 29th March 2014, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
This is part of John Patterson's 2008 Guardian review:

If you're easily offended, then the movie's interminable torrent of dick jokes, diarrhoea explosions, gay panic (is there something you'd like to tell us, Mike?), and serial midget humiliations will furnish endless grist for your mill of outrage. But even a high tolerance for this kind of thing can't prevent the onset of profound boredom as Mini-Me actor Verne Troyer takes his millionth hockey puck to the plums, Myers launches a Bollywood-style staging of Dolly Parton's 9 To 5, and characters show up bearing names like Guru Tugginmypudha. We are regaled with Jessica Alba playing her 18th honey-sculpted bimbo in as many movies, plus Ben Kingsley shaming himself as the aforementioned onanistically-monickered guru.
This sounds quite good to me.
Old 29th March 2014, 10:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
This sounds quite good to me.
You better stay behind that wall!
Old 29th March 2014, 10:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sorority House Massacre (1986)

Sleazy eighties slasher with occasional flashes of artistic style and cinematographic flair making the film seem a step above the traditional slasher fayre.

Unfortunately this is counterbalanced by a slightly tepid screenplay which takes an age to develop its central theme and begin dispatching the girls of the sorority house. It's only then that we realize Sorority House Massacre bares more than a passing resemblance to Carpenter's Halloween, though utilizing very little of that film's suspense or scares.

I didn't dislike it at all, in fact i quite enjoyed it, but would only recommend it to slasher completists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sorority 1.jpg (97.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 29th March 2014, 10:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

First day of Fantasy Filmfest Nights in Hamburg today was a blast.

In Fear - I really liked this British film which made brilliant use of the sound track to create moments of real tension. Recommended (this played at Fright Fest last summer so I guess many of you may already have seen it).

Rigor Mortis - WTF. Recommended.

Enemy - WTF squared. Recommended.

Dead Snow 2 - sublime comedy splatterfest which is pure entertainment and easily surpasses the already great Dead Snow. Please go and see this movie. Its part of the all-nighter at Imagine in 2 weeks. I already have a ticket and I will be counting down the days till then.

I skipped The Sacrament as I already saw it last month in Glasgow. I will also have a lie in tomorrow as Wolf Creek 2 is first up and while I really liked it at Glasgow I will miss it in favour of sleep.

More tomorrow and more detailed coverage on my Diary thread in due course.

Like this? Share it using the links below!