LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2022, 08:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Death Walks on High Heels (1971)

You'll find more red herrings here than in a North Sea trawler net as director Luciano Ercoli teams up for the first time with star Nieves Navarro.

Navarro, billed here as Susan Scott, plays an exotic dancer who believes her boyfriend may be plotting to kill her for some stolen diamonds. Scared she runs off with a doctor (Frank Wolff) to England, or at least a coastal part of Italy pretending to be England. However it soon becomes apparent that she is still being stalked at her seaside English retreat.

As much a bizarre love triangle between Scott, Wolfe and boyfriend Simon Andreau as anything, Ercoli's film twists and turns in the greatest giallo traditions with the excellent Scott at the centre carrying the film beautifully whilst decked out in outrageous seventies chic trying valiantly to escape the clutches of a voice boxed, blue eyed razor slashing madman.

I watched this again for the first time in years to see if i should upgrade my dvd to Blu-ray but the answer is no. The NoShame dvd looks stunning as it is.
So, despite my last sentence quoted above i watched this on Blu-ray last night after buying the limited edition Luciano Ercoli box set a while ago.

Great film, so twisty turny from the mid point on. The kind of Giallo where you can watch it a few months apart and still find new things to entertain or in this case bamboozle you.
Old 18th August 2022, 08:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bohemian Rhapsody. 2018.

I'm not one for biography movies but finally got round to watching this and feel kinda bad for leaving it till now to watch this epic film. Rami Malek plays a excellent role of our beloved Freddie, even with the other band mates the actors portraying them is brilliant and even Mike Myers never over done anything he shouldn't. Even hearing their music being played you can't help but sing along.

MV5BMTA2NDc3Njg5NDVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDc1NDcxNTUz._V1_.jpg
Old 18th August 2022, 10:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dick Tracy. 1990.

Detective Tracy takes on gangster Big Boy Caprice who is trying to unite with other gangsters to take over and run the city.

Haven't seen this since the early 90s on VHS and almost forgot it had existed, with Warren Beatty taking on the role of the comic book character and director who seemed to be a fan and knew how to create the comic characters and and bright and low colours in the background for "The City".

Al Pacino plays the public enemy number one of Tracy and tries his best to pin him with the crimes but can't seem to get him off the streets, Paul Sorvino and James Caan who passed away recently have small roles and even under heavy make-up aren't really recognizable until they start talking as well as many other good actors, but we can all recognise Dustin Hoffman. Never been a fan of Madonna as a actress but in this she is actually decent and do a couple of songs and able to bring some laughs with her character.

Dick_tracy1_7832.jpg
Old 19th August 2022, 12:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Submerged. 2005.

Mercenary Chris Cody is released from prison and aided by his old team to stop terrorists taking over a nuclear submarine.

I'm gonna do a drinking game called Never have I ever...here we go never have I ever been confused by a Seagal movie, what I thought that this film would be like is a team chasing after the bad guys, stopping them being crazy and save the day. You get about 20 minutes on a submarine and that's it, the rest of film is the good guys on land trying to find one bad guy.

Some of the actors must have thought this would be great but were dead wrong, no wonder this went straight to DVD, and may have hurt their careers slightly. Gary Daniels has said his fight scene with the big man was longer and decently choreographed but Seagal edited it and cut it down so it looked like he got his ass handed to him quickly. Anthony Hickox who has directed a fair bit before this film was probably over ruled in decision making and had to follow certain procedures to make someone look good. This film can be easily avoidable IMHO.

MV5BMjM2MjAyMDUzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTMxNjAwNzE@._V1_.jpg
Old 19th August 2022, 07:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Teen Wolf. 1985.

Average teen Scott Howard finds out that his family is a descendant of half human-half wolf hybrid that helps him gain popularity but also has it's problems.

Michael J. Fox stars as the teen Scott who seems shy and quiet until the beast in him comes out that seems to take over his life. James Hampton plays the father figure Harold who tries to be the sympathetic single parent who hoped the wolf transformation would skip the generation that leads to a comical moment in the bathroom/hallway.

Yeah it's full of 80s cheesiness but that's what we love about these old childhood films, I don't think anyone else could have pulled off the role the way Fox did. Filmed before Back To The Future and released after the film, there is some noticeable similarities with the set pieces with the same houses used in both films. Still entertaining and a lot better than the sequel.

Teen_Wolf.jpg
Old 19th August 2022, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bullitt. 1968

Tough cop Frank Bullitt goes after a kingpin who killed a witness in police protection.

Steve McQueen in one of his better roles (aside from The Magnificent Seven), the film may be outdated by today's standard but still has a impressive car chase round San Francisco with Steve doing most of his own driving stunts and no big car pile up or cars flipping over. Director Peter Yates definitely took the time to build up the characters in this with and nobody seems to over act anyone from start right up to the end with a good foot chase.

Bullitt_poster.jpg
Old 19th August 2022, 11:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deep Star Six. 1989.

A team of Navy personnel stationed at the bottom of the sea, uncover a cavern below and release a prehistoric creature.

Released the same year as Leviathan and James Cameron's more popular underwater feature The Abyss, this is often pushed aside and left on the back burner. This one has assortment of actors that most of us will recognise from the late 80s-early 90s films and T.V. and produced and directed by Sean S. Cunningham, even Kane Hodder is able to pop up as the stunt co-ordinator. Mark Shostrom was given the creature design by Chris Walas and changed a few bits and done a decent job given it was probably a bit of a budget to work with. For a Friday Night horror/sci-fi flick this was decent.

mv5botm4njeyndgtmzvkoc00zmezlwjinjgtytyyyze5ymm5otizl2ltywdlxkeyxkfqcgdeqxvyntayodkwoq__v1_sy100.jpg
Old 20th August 2022, 12:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Killer Image. 1992.

After his brother's death, Max comes across a photograph that may have been the cause of his death and a political cover up of a Senator.

Another movie not seen since the VHS era and certainly not fast paced as I remembered it, M. Emmet Walsh plays the State Senator who was caught in a compromised situation and gets assassin little brother Michael Ironside to do the "silence The witness and get the evidence destroyed" deal. Unfortunately the witness has a brother John Pyper-Ferguson who finds the photo and starts a cat and mouse game.

This is one of those low grade B movies that has it's moments of slow pace to being almost dull but with Michael Ironside mind games this is what made it watchable and just see what the outcome would be.

Killer_Image-729020708-mmed.jpg
Old 20th August 2022, 03:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ricochet. 1991.

A young rookie cop Nick Styles stops Earl Blake during a botched drug deal and he is sent away to prison. Years later Styles is now a Assistant D.A. while Blake plans to escape and seek revenge on Styles.

A young Denzel Washington plays the rookie cop who basically strips down to his "Tidy Whidies" at a carnival to reassure the bad guy he has no weapons and seems to be hailed a hero for his recklessness. John Lithgow plays the psychotic Blake who tries his best to turn Styles life upside down and make him suffer.

What starts as a good opening to a film that has it's moments of being slow then goes back on track with a cat mouse game then the tables are turned the mouse starts chasing the cat that was decently executed even with the slow revenge plan. Kevin Pollack plays the loyal cop partner who believes Styles innocence along the way as nobody else will. This was a decent action thriller by Russell Mulcahy.

MV5BMTY1NzY5OTYzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjUxMDAzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Have a great weekend all
Old 20th August 2022, 04:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Ricochet. 1991.

A young rookie cop Nick Styles stops Earl Blake during a botched drug deal and he is sent away to prison. Years later Styles is now a Assistant D.A. while Blake plans to escape and seek revenge on Styles.

A young Denzel Washington plays the rookie cop who basically strips down to his "Tidy Whidies" at a carnival to reassure the bad guy he has no weapons and seems to be hailed a hero for his recklessness. John Lithgow plays the psychotic Blake who tries his best to turn Styles life upside down and make him suffer.

What starts as a good opening to a film that has it's moments of being slow then goes back on track with a cat mouse game then the tables are turned the mouse starts chasing the cat that was decently executed even with the slow revenge plan. Kevin Pollack plays the loyal cop partner who believes Styles innocence along the way as nobody else will. This was a decent action thriller by Russell Mulcahy.

Attachment 241751

Have a great weekend all
I love this trashy film. Absurdly sleazy and demented (you can smell the old sweat), and filmed with bravado by Russell Mulcahy.

Like this? Share it using the links below!