Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1950's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree167Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2012, 07:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
IMO the picture looks great, I would definitely say it's the best I've seen it look and the extras make it a worthy purchase.
I'm happy with it too.I'll be sticking to the 1.37:1 aspect ratio for future screenings.It looks perfect to me though I'm no expert on framing & aspect ratios & I can't comment on the BR as I have a player but no HD TV yet.Dracula will hopefully be an improvement over the old Warner dvd at 1.85:1 in the Hammer boxset I own.That looked far too cramped.Don't think that will be released full frame though as that's probably more suited to a 1.66:1 aspect ratio.
Old 21st October 2012, 07:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
I'm happy with it too.I'll be sticking to the 1.37:1 aspect ratio for future screenings.It looks perfect to me though I'm no expert on framing & aspect ratios.
No, me neither. I must say that I can't get enough of these Hammer BD/DVD sets and I'm looking forward to the next lot being announced, Dracula (1958) being the one I'm looking forward to the most
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st October 2012, 07:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
No, me neither. I must say that I can't get enough of these Hammer BD/DVD sets and I'm looking forward to the next lot being announced, Dracula (1958) being the one I'm looking forward to the most
There's certainly no technical equipment in shot in the full frame version boom mikes & whatever was around in the good old days.The shot of Lee suspended on the hook looks particularly more effective & grisly.Matted it looks like he could be hung from a chandelier or anything.Don't know how good old Pete got him up there in the first place though.Must have hired the european equiverlants of Burke & Hare to help !.
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:05 PM
Active Cultist

Just finished watching this. Great film, I've no complaints re the BD quality though I'm no expert on the film. The colour in this film is striking, Hammer certainly went to town on their first (or one of em) colour projects.

I watched the academy ratio version.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Rik likes this.
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by it'smebilly View Post
Just finished watching this. Great film, I've no complaints re the BD quality though I'm no expert on the film. The colour in this film is striking, Hammer certainly went to town on their first (or one of em) colour projects.

I watched the academy ratio version.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
With it being their first film made in Eastmancolor, they made damn sure everyone knew about it, even going so far as to paint berries red in the foreground of the shot just before Lee is shot in the face, or Robert Urquhart's bright red smoking jacket and the different coloured liquids in the lab
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th October 2012, 10:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

watched this last night and can't see what people are moaning about it looks fantastic for a movie of its age and the extras are worth the price alone, life with sir was great, what a wonderful man peter must of been, not embarrassed to say i had a tear in my eye watching it
Old 25th October 2012, 04:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
life with sir was great, what a wonderful man peter must of been, not embarrassed to say i had a tear in my eye watching it
Me too, such heart warming words from his former secretary and close friend, like I said above, it really did bring back the memories of how upset I was when he died
Old 25th October 2012, 07:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Me too, such heart warming words from his former secretary and close friend, like I said above, it really did bring back the memories of how upset I was when he died
I watched the montage of clips shown as a tribute after HAMMER-THE STUDIO THAT DRIPPED BLOOD,the saturday night it was announced he died.That bought a tear to my eye as his films have bought me so much joy since I was a lad.His portrayal of Grimsdyke as he reads the cruel Valentines in TFTC always brings a lump to my throat.Especially as you realise he was still deeply grieving over the death of his beloved wife.
Old 25th October 2012, 07:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Spot on Mark.
One of the most satisfying revenge tales ever shown.
mark meakin likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th October 2012, 09:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm glad Alan Bryce (in latest Dark Side issue) said he is disappointed with the PQ with this release... At least I'm not the only one in the world!! I was close to getting my contact lenses checked

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Like this? Share it using the links below!