Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2011, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Fascinating article on The Keep:

RADIATOR HEAVEN: Michael Mann Blogathon: The Keep
Old 29th April 2011, 06:19 PM
Cult Rookie

not sure how old i was when i first saw The Keep (very young tho) and it scared the living crap outta me and would love to see a Arrow release of the definitive version of this movie
Old 18th June 2011, 07:25 AM
Cult Addict

The whole refusal to release the film backs up all the complaints I have with paramount and their loathing of the horror genre in general.

One thing I would ask, has all the footage been accounted for? Obviously some extra stuff is available, its uploaded to youtube but is all of it?

I ask remembering the event horizon debacle, where paul anderson went looking for the cut footage (the film was butchered after test screenings) and discovered it in an eastern european salt mine corroded beyond repair. I hope thats not the same fate that has befallen all the missing footage from the keep.
Old 18th June 2011, 10:16 AM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The whole refusal to release the film backs up all the complaints I have with paramount and their loathing of the horror genre in general.

One thing I would ask, has all the footage been accounted for? Obviously some extra stuff is available, its uploaded to youtube but is all of it?

I ask remembering the event horizon debacle, where paul anderson went looking for the cut footage (the film was butchered after test screenings) and discovered it in an eastern european salt mine corroded beyond repair. I hope thats not the same fate that has befallen all the missing footage from the keep.
Don't hold your breath, hell I'd rather do business with the Mafia than some jumped-up Hollywood execs, they'd dump their own mothers in that salt mine if it got them a bonus, scumbags
Old 18th June 2011, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post

I do not think that there appears to be any accounting of total footage. Apart from Youtube, various TV screenings and releases on video in different territories show differing scenes and endings. Mann reputedly said that the original footage approached the 3 hour mark. The death of SFX wizard Wally Veevers during filming also left some SFX work incomplete...
Sadly the situation would appear to be a case of how long is a piece of string?
Old 18th June 2011, 11:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I can't imagine any amount of restored footage doing much for the film, personally, but I would be interested to give it (yet) another chance if it were restored and released.
Old 24th June 2011, 01:22 AM
Cultist in Training

Default tangerine dream

this is a phenomenal film and deserves some kind of digital releases at some point in the future. i only hope the powers that be can get their heads together and agree to give it the release treatment it deserves! the 30th anniversary is in 2013 so you never know!
Old 20th July 2011, 08:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

With the recent news that MOC/Eureka have done a deal with Universal to release titles such as Touch Of Evil and Silent Running what chance of Paramount doing a deal with Arrow to give us all a Special Edition to remember of The Keep on BD?

Old 20th July 2011, 08:31 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

If only mate!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th July 2011, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
If only mate!
Could you imagine something similar to the massive LE version of Battle Royale? One BD with the Theatrical Version, another BD with a restored Director's Cut, loads of extras and booklets, plus even the involvement to some degree of Michael Mann himself.

Aye if only!

Like this? Share it using the links below!