Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: BEST JASON?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
BEST JASON?

Like Tree347Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2011, 01:38 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Or, at least, that's what I was told. But it's not the first time Axel ships pre-orders before the release date.
Old 29th September 2011, 01:46 AM
Cultist

It's absolutely ridiculous the Friday The 13th films are getting yet another release in which the sequels are all cut.

It seems Paramount have no respect for horror fans or their customers.

The F13 movies have had release after release.

Surely paramount know that this is the kind of thing with a cult following and that fans want uncut releases.

If the first can be released uncut, why can't the rest?

Here's a question:

Do you think this is just one last go at getting money out of fans, using the current edits, before the inevitable uncut, definitive editions in a few years?

by that, I mean do you think companies have a plan:

Release bog standard editions.

Then special editions.

Then ultimate editions.

Then, finally, definitive editions. (using a strategy to make money out of the same film 4 or 5 times)
Old 29th September 2011, 01:50 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobral View Post
Or, at least, that's what I was told. But it's not the first time Axel ships pre-orders before the release date.
I hadn't heard of Axel until you mentioned them.

How long have they been about?
Old 29th September 2011, 01:52 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Don't know exactly, but some years, for sure.
I've been ordering from them since 2007.
Old 29th September 2011, 05:46 AM
Cultist

---
Old 29th September 2011, 07:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
It's absolutely ridiculous the Friday The 13th films are getting yet another release in which the sequels are all cut.

It seems Paramount have no respect for horror fans or their customers.

The F13 movies have had release after release.

Surely paramount know that this is the kind of thing with a cult following and that fans want uncut releases.

Here's a question:

Do you think this is just one last go at getting money out of fans, using the current edits, before the inevitable uncut, definitive editions in a few years?

by that, I mean do you think companies have a plan:

Release bog standard editions.

Then special editions.

Then ultimate editions.

Then, finally, definitive editions. (using a strategy to make money out of the same film 4 or 5 times)

I agree! I've been holding off buying the boxsets, for years. I only bought Pt 6 cheap, recently, after reading this thread and wanting to have a 25th anniversary viewing.
Old 29th September 2011, 10:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post

While I agree with your sentiments, releasing Part 1 uncut wasn't that hard to do, as the material has always been available since it's release, in different prints/versions.
(It was never cut in the UK, at least when I saw it on video as a kid. )

But since Paramount re-released My Bloody Valentine on DVD, with the option to view the film with the lower quality cut scenes put back in, they could at least do something similar for the few Friday films where the cut footage is available, albeit in bad shape, work prints.
Old 29th September 2011, 11:48 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
While I agree with your sentiments, releasing Part 1 uncut wasn't that hard to do, as the material has always been available since it's release, in different prints/versions.
(It was never cut in the UK, at least when I saw it on video as a kid. )

But since Paramount re-released My Bloody Valentine on DVD, with the option to view the film with the lower quality cut scenes put back in, they could at least do something similar for the few Friday films where the cut footage is available, albeit in bad shape, work prints.
Paramount didn't issue the uncut, restored My Bloody Valentine, Lionsgate did after licensing the title from Paramount. Paramount have always known the uncut footage existed, the producer has had it stored away and it was offered to Paramount for their initial DVD release, but they turned it down. This is partly (or probably mostly) because Paramount had a ridiculous policy of not releasing anything unrated, it goes against their ethics for some reason.

As for the Friday the 13th films, I'm inclined to believe that Paramount don't have the cut footage for the sequels. When they were putting together the last boxset they actually put out a call asking if anyone had any of the cut footage. So I think they've tried. But, the cynic in me says that Paramount will one day 'discover' the lost footage. Then again, they did bury the cut footage from Event Horizon in a salt mine, so that's one lot of cut footage we're never likely to ever see. If that's what happens to a relatively big-budget movie, then God only knows where the cut F13 footage is and what shape it's in! Footage does exist, albeit in poor shape, as evidenced by recent releases from Paramount where some cut footage turned up as extras.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Part IV is the best one for me, it's got everything you would want from a slasher film.

I've got all of them in individual releases, but I'm tempted to pick up the HD releases. Does anyone have these, and are they any good? I know they're cut (2 & 3 anyway), but I'd like to see the rest of the series (in whatever form) get a HD release.

Also, I assume the uncut versions actually exist, which is how people know about them? Were the MPAA trims made before cinema distribution? Is there a chance they exist on a dodgy bootleg?
Old 29th September 2011, 12:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I have the US blu rays of 1 and 2. Haven't watched 2 yet but the PQ on 1 is excellent. It really brings camp crystal lake to life.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Like this? Share it using the links below!