Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:52 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I forgot about Laid to Rest, Peter - enjoyable, but I didn't rate the ending much - it was very anti-climatic IMO.
Old 23rd December 2009, 09:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Am quite suprised at some of the movies people are saying are best of 09.

Each to thier own I guess

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 24th December 2009, 03:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Am quite suprised at some of the movies people are saying are best of 09.

Each to thier own I guess
Yes so am i
Thought drag me to hell was utter pants had a few dead funny bits i pissed my sides laughing but as a whole nah
Old 18th January 2010, 05:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Here are my picks for the better Horror movies from 2009.So in no particular order

HANGER
THIRST
TRICK R TREAT
DEADGIRL
ZOMBIELAND
Old 18th January 2010, 07:23 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Yes so am i
Thought drag me to hell was utter pants had a few dead funny bits i pissed my sides laughing but as a whole nah
I didn't think a lot of Drag Me to Hell either gag - couldn't stand the characters (it was hard to care about any of them), plus I feel they over-egged the CGI a bit... the only thing I have to say for it is that the ending was a somewhat refreshing change from the usual Hollywood horror garbage.
Old 18th January 2010, 09:07 PM
Active Cultist

I think 'Let the Right One' in was my fave of 2009.

More Swedish Art Film but the ending swimming pool scene was outstanding.

The 'Embodiment of Evil' comes a very close second. Coffin Joe!!!

I enjoyed the Japanese sillyness of 'Machine Girl' & 'Tokyo Gore Police'.

I thought Martyrs started well but the second half spoiled the good first.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:03 PM
Active Cultist

Let The Right One In is a fantastic film - yeah, it's not the most punishing horror ever, but it's full of little sinister ideas, and the atmosphere is tremendous. I think the swimming pool scene is an instant classic.

I like Antichrist a heck of a lot - a kind of extreme hybrid of The Brood and Don't Look Now. There's that grim bit near the end that made me wince like I haven't in many a year.

Drag Me To Hell I like a lot. It's not hardcore horror, and seems a little less inspired and manic than, say, Evil Dead 2, but it's a tight, classy flick imo.

Martyrs I have mixed feelings about: the horror is quite brilliantly executed, and the thing felt fairly fresh, but the second half goes on a bit and I wasn't convinced by the film's higher 'theological/philosophical' ambitions. But certain of its images I can't get out of my head! I might spin it again to see how it holds up.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:40 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Martyrs was probably mine but there was precious little to choose from really.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Strange View Post
Let The Right One In is a fantastic film - yeah, it's not the most punishing horror ever, but it's full of little sinister ideas, and the atmosphere is tremendous. I think the swimming pool scene is an instant classic.

I like Antichrist a heck of a lot - a kind of extreme hybrid of The Brood and Don't Look Now. There's that grim bit near the end that made me wince like I haven't in many a year.

Drag Me To Hell I like a lot. It's not hardcore horror, and seems a little less inspired and manic than, say, Evil Dead 2, but it's a tight, classy flick imo.

Martyrs I have mixed feelings about: the horror is quite brilliantly executed, and the thing felt fairly fresh, but the second half goes on a bit and I wasn't convinced by the film's higher 'theological/philosophical' ambitions. But certain of its images I can't get out of my head! I might spin it again to see how it holds up.
I agree on what you said about Martyrs, the 2nd half lets the whole movie down IMO and so I dont rate it high enough to be a top of 2009 list.

LTROI is a instant classic, I dont know what the hell Matt Reeves is thinking by making "Let Me In". Its going to end up horrible but will just watch to see how bad it is

Drag me to hell was awesome, it was a nice lil cheesy horror comedy that you can just relax to and put ur mind to sleep Not meant to be taken seriously at all.

Am undecided on antichrist, still not sure if I like it. Im sure I dont hate it though which I guess is something at least.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 19th January 2010, 01:38 PM
Cultist in Training

Best horror, by far, that I saw in 2009 was Martyrs.

Like this? Share it using the links below!