Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2009, 11:28 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
Yeah, their Bruce Lee collection is a beautiful thing! even grabbed Game of Death 2, which is a shocking film, but given a great release!
For me it's the exclusive bonus material that makes HKL's Bruce Lee output so worth having.
No problems with the disc presentation, audio and video quality but it's the extras that do it for me!

I love GOD 2! Awful attempt at convincing us the real little dragon is in attendance but typically great Yuen Woo Ping fights, a much better second half when Kim Tai Chung gets to strut his stuff as Bobby Lo and a brilliant final reel showdown inside Hwang Jang Lee's drugs den.

Just don't mention 'the-man-in-the-lion-suit' scene!
Old 21st September 2009, 11:30 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Yeah, I kept hold of my collection for nostalgic reasons - still got a few of their VHS releases from early 2000 before I had a DVD player! lol. Infact, when I had my DVD player on xmas 2000 I had Body Weapon and Blacksheep Affair with it! Happy days!

Spent pretty much all my money on those DVDs! Back then they would be going for £19.99 a DVD!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 21st September 2009, 11:51 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Yeah, I kept hold of my collection for nostalgic reasons Happy days! Spent pretty much all my money on those DVDs! Back then they would be going for £19.99 a DVD!
Yeah, those HKL DVDs cost me a small fortune too on many occasions and at one time HMV was charging about £5-7 for their 2-disc Platinum editions! Never happens now, though!

Actually, whenever i see HKL's Jackie Chan: My Story/My Stunts release it always holds a certain memory for me. I was watching this title on 9/11!
Old 21st September 2009, 11:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've seen HMV charge well over £20 for HK Legends. Cex normally have them for around £2 - £10.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 21st September 2009, 12:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I came across "Hand Of Death " at my local Poundland the other day. The extras are not in the same league as a lot of the older HKL titles, but it does have a Bey Logan commentary track. I was disappointed that I already had it so couldn't take advantage of my find.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 21st September 2009, 12:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Dragon Dynasty have set up shop here in the UK now, so we should start to get some classic HK back on the shelves!

When the hell is Yuen Biao's On The Run going to get a damn DVD release?! I still have my Made In Hong Kong VHS of this bad boy! Such a great movie.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 21st September 2009, 12:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
When the hell is Yuen Biao's On The Run going to get a damn DVD release?! I still have my Made In Hong Kong VHS of this bad boy! Such a great movie.

I have an old HK release of that one which is long out of print. I noticed recently there is a VCD version now available from Fortune Star as part of thier Joy Sales Legendary Collection. With any luck a DVD may follow.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 21st September 2009, 12:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Yeah, I regret not getting that when I hadt he chance! It contains two versions of the film doesn't it?

When are the Prison on Fire movies going to see some love in the UK too? Bah!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 22nd September 2009, 02:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Dragon Dynasty have set up shop here in the UK now, so we should start to get some classic HK back on the shelves!

Theres 2 Different DVDreleases of this movie one is done by DELTAMAC and this is one is OOPand the other is by MEGASTAR(stay away from the MEGASTAR Realese as its cut )Unfortunately both the DVD and 2 VCD releases are all OOP

Last edited by Gigantor; 22nd September 2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:00 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Quote:
Sounds great and i've already bought the initial (and so far the only) two titles in the range.
The only thing that worries me is that the first time Momentum issued some Shaw Brothers classics on DVD they truly messed up with lazy non-anamorphic editions featuring minimal extras.

Right now at present there has been no further U.K. Dragon Dynasty DVDs and it makes me think that maybe The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin and King Boxer didn't sell too well. So personally i'm not sure if anymore releases will follow.

Of course, this is all pure speculation on my part and i could be totally wrong.

Like this? Share it using the links below!