All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2011, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
Yep, that and the fact I don't see the point on double dipping on films that I already have on good quality DVDs.I'll only buy films I truly love on BD, DVD will suffice for all others, that includes new films I have yet to see.As much as I love films, I refuse to keep buying the same movie over and over again.I simply don't have the money to do it!
Me too dude, I hate double dipping unless it is for my fav films.
My point is buying a DVD over a Bluray is just crazy!
Old 19th April 2011, 02:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

It's not that crazy as DVD is still a brilliant, cheap format.
Old 19th April 2011, 02:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
It's not that crazy as DVD is still a brilliant, cheap format.
I give-up

I honestly don't see how a Blu cannot be preferred to a DVD.
Old 19th April 2011, 02:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

It's not that I prefer DVD to Blu-ray, it's just it makes more economic sense to me at the moment.New, legitimate DVD releases are hardly bootleg quality you know.
Old 19th April 2011, 02:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
It's not that I prefer DVD to Blu-ray, it's just it makes more economic sense to me at the moment.New, legitimate DVD releases are hardly bootleg quality you know.
Ok so my guess it is about cash was correct. Why pay 25 when you can pay 20? Ok gotcha!

I feel that way sometimes but I know I'll still kick myself for going DVD. When I switched to Blu I was blown away by the difference. I feel i'm going backwards with dvds now.
Old 19th April 2011, 03:27 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by broonage View Post
When I switched to Blu I was blown away by the difference. I feel i'm going backwards with dvds now.
Any example Blu-ray's? I own only a few of them, so I'm no expert. But from the few I got I often see differences in favour of Blu-ray; but I could not say that I was really "blown away" by any specific release compared to a DVD edition. I can see the difference with movies that have been shot with HD cams and therefore are perfectly suitable for a 1080p-release (e.g. Resident Evil Afterlife or Piranha 3D); with other releases I just think that the difference between DVD and Blu-ray sometimes is marginal at best - think of the Rambo Blu-rays.

I would like you to name a few discs that are really outstanding, as I am interested in the subject.

Greetings!

PS: My own opinion is that the predecessor format decides whether the new format is considered a great improvement over the old one - just compare the huge jump from VHS to DVD to the much smaller from DVD to Blu-Ray.
Old 19th April 2011, 05:18 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
What size and type of monitor do you watch them on? On my 42" HDTV DVDs really show their imperfections. Soft picture, mosquito noise etc. I'd much prefer to watch a BD. And as people over time switch to larger HDTV's they'll also notice the drop in quality and BD will gradually grow in popularity.

All the arguments being used against BD are like reading people's reactions to DVD when it first came out and said that VHS was good enough. We all know how that turned out.

At some point, when the studios want to give BD a big push, they'll simply stop manufacturing DVDs and force the market. Mark my words, that day isn't far off. The studios are being forced to sell their films at rock bottom prices on DVD at the moment and they won't do that for much longer, trust me. DVD will be a thing of the past before long. The turning point, I believe, will be when BD burners become a de facto standard in PCs.
Old 20th April 2011, 08:44 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Chaps we have a couple of pages here now on the merits of BD vs DVD which is a fine debate but worth carrying on properly in another thread as there's not a lot of Cemetery here anymore! If someone within the debate wishes to do the honours and post the link here that would be cool thank you.

I do realise it's pretty my fault it's turned this way as well!
Old 20th April 2011, 08:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Chaps we have a couple of pages here now on the merits of BD vs DVD which is a fine debate but worth carrying on properly in another thread as there's not a lot of Cemetery here anymore!
There is now!:

radnor_street_cemetery_1_470x353.jpg Cemetery5.jpg Cemetery.jpg cemetery-1.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. Back to topic....
Old 20th April 2011, 09:00 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
There is now!:

Attachment 8538 Attachment 8539 Attachment 8540 Attachment 8541

Sorry, couldn't resist. Back to topic....
The first two look proper scary - not so convinced by the other two...

Like this? Share it using the links below!