Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2009, 10:43 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I don't think anyone is taking it personally - I think I just need to buy everyone a Blu-ray player and then we'll all be happy!
Old 20th September 2009, 10:44 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Goody. I can put it next to my Betamax.
Old 21st September 2009, 02:15 AM
Cult Acolyte

Yeah, and I can store mine in the cabinet next to my V2000.
Old 21st September 2009, 07:28 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'll just have a new slim PS3 please Almar
Old 21st September 2009, 09:17 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I can see this is going to be an expensive thread!
Old 21st September 2009, 10:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funktion View Post
Splatterdragon73, I hope your comments regarding the "DVD bashing" weren't for me.
Most definitely not, my friend!

I was talking about former DVD fans in general and certainly no one specific.
Old 21st September 2009, 10:53 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
£17.99 for the Arrow BluRay package is giving it away.
I definetly will be getting this.
The BBFC have relaxed, maybe its time for us collectors to relax, and wait and give the UK companies a chance before looking to the US with certain titles .
They can only get better if we support them.
I have no problem with Dawn's Blu-Ray price tag either.

I also agree about the BBFC.
Fair enough the cuts and rejections still go on but i would much rather have the current censors than when the much maligned James Ferman ruled the roost with his rod of iron. The way he went on once a film was cut or banned it mostly stayed that way. Generally no leeway whatsoever!

At least the snipping staff at Soho Square nowadays are prepared to revisit and reassess those old terror titles many of us know and love with the view to granting them an unexpurgated release.
And before anybody starts chanting "Sell out! Sell out!" i'm not kissing BBFC butt i'm simply saying be grateful for small mercies.

I also tend to see what horror DVDs are heading our way intact in the U.K. these days before buying the equivalent stateside product. Good point, Vipco.
Old 21st September 2009, 10:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I also agree. Who ever would have thought we'd have uncut versions of Caligula, Flavia, Last House on the Left and Night Train Murders on uk shelves?

That never would have happened a few years ago.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 21st September 2009, 11:10 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Too true and it feels great to finally be able to walk into your local DVD stockist and buy many titles once only available cut to bits or in the worst cases unavailable altogether! Needless to say where the former is concerned that includes Dawn!
Old 21st September 2009, 12:26 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
I always find it strange when people say this.Not one of the dvd's i've ever played upscaled in my blu-ray player has ever looked as good as a blu-ray disc (and yes I have it set correctly).I just dont see much difference than if I play it in my dvd player

Some films upscale better than others, plus in the case of Hostel , the HD wasn't great so when I upscaled the SDVD it was pretty close.
But your correct Stevoj, a upcoming DVD will never be BluRay Quality.

I use PS3, which is updated every couple of months to keep the BluRay and Upscaling Tech fresh and comparable with todays latest Sony Tech , and Sony have promised to do so for a 10 year period from PS3's launch.
I have options now on my PS3 for film that I never had wheh I first got it . The Upscaling ability now is more noticeable than this time last year.
It was v1.01 its now v3.01.

I recon 50% show a difference of VARYING degree when upscaled , though its no way near BluRay , but its still a nice bonus for BluRay owners over DVD owners when it comes to a double format package release.

Last edited by vipco; 21st September 2009 at 04:07 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!