All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2010, 02:51 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
That I honestly don't know but I'll let you know as time goes on. You need to be looking at spending an easy £16k to make a hi-def master from original elements and that's a huge cost to bear when you have a release that might only sell a couple of thousand units so any clever ways to reduce costs to make releases happen are important.
Good grief, I never knew Blu-ray was such an expensive process! This makes it even more commendable when niche labels release stuff like this. Must be a bit of a gamble!
Old 30th January 2010, 03:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Good grief, I never knew Blu-ray was such an expensive process! This makes it even more commendable when niche labels release stuff like this. Must be a bit of a gamble!
MGM have discontinued their Bond releases on BD for this reason.

Let's hope it does not kill the format prematurely because I'm really warming to Blu Ray. Hopefully enough folks will get behind this "City" release to encourage future Italian horror on the format (I know I keep saying this but, believe me, we're really busting our guts making the UK City of the Living Dead something special).
Old 30th January 2010, 06:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Will Arrow/BU be using the same master for the upcoming DVD release that was used on the original ABUS release/BU re-release? Sorry if this is a stupid question I don't know much about masters, transfers, etc.
Old 30th January 2010, 06:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post

Let's hope it does not kill the format prematurely because I'm really warming to Blu Ray. Hopefully enough folks will get behind this "City" release to encourage future Italian horror on the format (I know I keep saying this but, believe me, we're really busting our guts making the UK City of the Living Dead something special).
Hopefully the format won't be killed prematurely Calum.
The price of players are falling rapidly.

Whe you watch films like DAWN OF THE DEAD and THE LIVING DEAD AT THE MANCHESTER MORGUE on Blu Ray-it's what watching films are all about.

I'm sure Arrow's CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD will be imported all over Europe and will become one of their biggest selling title to date.
Especially given the fact that it won't be an HMV exclusive.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th January 2010, 09:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:

Let's hope authoring costs come down in price. It would be self-defeating if the mastering costs are what kill the format. However, it does explain why the studios are pushing the big titles out on the format first - the guaranteed sellers. Surprised that MGM have discontinued the Bond releases, I felt sure these would be huge sellers.

Like Reaps says, hardware prices are falling and more and more people are embracing the format. For me, it's the ultimate way to enjoy movies - with the odd exception, everything I've seen on the format so far has looked breathtaking. I really hope the format takes off, it's what watching movies is all about.

And I'm really excited about the COTLD Blu-ray, it's my favourite Fulci (after Zombie) and I can't wait to see it in HD and the extra features sound stunning!
Old 30th January 2010, 09:50 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Surprised that MGM have discontinued the Bond releases, I felt sure these would be huge sellers.
I agree - that's hugely surprising and discouraging news.
Old 31st January 2010, 10:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
I know I keep saying this but, believe me, we're really busting our guts making the UK City of the Living Dead something special.
And i'm sure you're aware most (if not all) of us here appreciate the effort and are simply dying to get our greasy and grisly mitts on a copy!

All good things come to he (and she!) who waits!
Old 31st January 2010, 12:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
And i'm sure you're aware most (if not all) of us here appreciate the effort and are simply dying to get our greasy and grisly mitts on a copy!

All good things come to he (and she!) who waits!
Thanks!

And just in case anyone hasn't checked out the thread on this very forum - City of the Living Dead stars Catriona MacColl and Giovanni Lombardo Radice will be at both the GFT in Glasgow (March 13th - Beyond/ City double bill) and the Jekyll and Hyde Edinburgh (March 14th) so if you're in Scotland please come meet these two legends!
Old 31st January 2010, 05:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
This is true but the quality on the UK VIPCO disc is very poor and it is, of course, totally bare bones (much like the UK Zombie Flesh Eaters). I imagine the Beyond Terror one is much the same (they are just using the old VIPCO masters aren't they?)

It is nice that we are finally seeing Fulci being done "properly" in the UK and with a proper amount of love and care. City of the Living Dead is shaping up to be my fave release of 2010 (I admit I am biased but it's still Fulci on Blu Ray!)
I couldn't agree more Calum, I was'nt recommending the BT release .

As for VIPCO's version, I aint seen it since I bought it in 2000/2001 . I only bought it as I collect VIPCO , plus it was the only option for me at that time, and I always buy UK films to support the UK market., and still do to this day.

Admititly, COTLD is'nt my favourite Fulci, but i'll be picking it up come release to support companies who do go all out for us UK fans and hope it leads to more future proper releases of cult films here, that , and well its Fulci on BluRay, here in the UK, its a must buy.

Never thought i'd a seen the day. Fulci , Uncut & on BluRay,.... Kudous to ARROW.

Last edited by vipco; 31st January 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 31st January 2010, 05:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
I couldn't agree more and the only decent ZFE DVD we have on British shores is ABUK's Box Of The Banned variant with a small but better-than-nothing selection of extras.

Can't wait for both the Arrow and BU City releases and it's undeniable i'm having copies of each edition. Both on DVD and BR.

It looks like it may well be time to send my old grain infested ABUS version packing!
Stonevision and Dead of Night were the only companies to release ZFE here in the UK as stand alone discs.(both cut)
VIPCO only released it on VHS. (cut)
ABUK and Cornerstone released it as well , but as part of a boxset .
No UK releases , including the AB release (which was taken from the US print and titled Zombie on screen and ZFE on the disc) were imo any good.

I'd love to see ZFE get a full uncut stand alone release buy a company who would give it the treatment it deserves, ie ARROW .

Like this? Share it using the links below!