Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2010, 08:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Date was change on Amazon to October 25...
Old 18th September 2010, 12:52 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playzocker View Post
I believe Arrow are doing the best they can - since they even upgraded VAMP to a BD now, I hope that most of the future releases will hit BD as well.
The advances in technology are just fascinating at times, It's amazing what can be achieved. I'd like to see a really rough looking 16mm print, from years ago, be totally restored to the quality of something like AVATAR......Maybe I'm asking just a little too much there...
My understanding of this whole process is lacking, but I can't see how a film that was made years ago, on ancient equipment, be made to look like it was made with the latest HD technology? Anyway, like I said just before, it's stunning what can be achieved in film at times...Some examples would be good here, if there's some in mind , that is?
Old 18th September 2010, 01:04 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Yeah, every time I watch that movie, I wanna punch him in the face. Most annoying voice EVER!
But that´s just the charm of it all I guess
I'm glad there are people out there that feel the same, thats for sure. lol. Yeah, the dubbing is shockingly bad in THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY in places. It play's a part in my fondness for some of these films as well though. when ever this film comes to mind, one of the first things I think of, is the dubbing of Bob. One of my favourite Fulci films this too...
The movie always played out like a feature length dream sequence to me. it's an oddly captivating film for sure. Some of the going's on in this film, are truly strange. But's that's kind of why I like It, I guess....
Old 18th September 2010, 12:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney32 View Post
I'd like to see a really rough looking 16mm print, from years ago, be totally restored to the quality of something like AVATAR......Maybe I'm asking just a little too much there...
Nope, you don't. You're asking WAY too much.

I don't hink taht 16mm material can achieve more than what they got out of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Maybe a little more in a couple of years but definitley not way more.
Old 18th September 2010, 12:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Best 16mm to BD transfer I´ve seen is Anchor Bay´s "Evil Dead". Even blows the great "Texas Chainsaw" Blu-ray out of the water when it comes to fine details etc.
Old 18th September 2010, 01:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

You're right - I just forgot about that. ED really looks good and WAY better than ED2. I'm gonna stick with my opinion, the HD transfer of ED2 blows chunks!
Old 18th September 2010, 08:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playzocker View Post
Nope, you don't. You're asking WAY too much.

I don't hink taht 16mm material can achieve more than what they got out of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Maybe a little more in a couple of years but definitley not way more.
They made CHAINSAW look pretty didn't they? I noticed that.....
You have pretty much answered the question that I've been trying to get someone to post here. Which is, What's the point of releasing old, 16mm horror classics on HD/Blue-Ray, if it is impossible to remaster them, to the quality of today's Blue-Ray tech?
This is why I mentioned AVATAR, to use as the most extreme example possible. If they are never going to be able to get half these movies to the quality of films made today, then whats the point of releasing them in HD in the first place? For example, if you already own say, Bill Lustig's MANIC, then why bother buy it on Blue-Ray, if it isn't going to look much better? That's all I'm getting at to be honest...
And for the record, Having supreme knowledge of the movie re-mastering/ HD process, etc, isn't exactly at the top of my wish list, to be honest...
I understand what your telling me though. That they can, maybe make some of these old movies look a little better, but not in a way that's gonna blow you away...
But isn't "looking old", part of why we like these cult films anyway? the nostalgia of them etc...Remember the GRINDHOUSE double feature a fews years back? New movies, but made to look old and worn out...(PLANET TERROR/ DEATH PROOF.)
Old 18th September 2010, 09:50 PM
Cult Rookie

Ive already heard about the new Maniac Blu-Ray. From what ive been told the new transfer will blow everyone away when they see it. Supposedly it looks just as good,if not better then it did theatrically. I myself cannot wait till October.
Old 19th September 2010, 12:58 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick Or Treat View Post
Ive already heard about the new Maniac Blu-Ray. From what ive been told the new transfer will blow everyone away when they see it. Supposedly it looks just as good,if not better then it did theatrically. I myself cannot wait till October.
MANIAC:
The commentary track with the director and friends, is extremely entertaining. Their memories of star Joe Spinell was often really funny.
I like the story of the "Clam" on this, and the "S.A.G" story too...
Seemed like a lot of fun to me. Documentary THE JOE SPINELL STORY, that featured on the old Anchor Bay dvd, is well worth checking out. Interesting, entertaining, and moving, for sure...
Old 19th September 2010, 04:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney32 View Post
They made CHAINSAW look pretty didn't they? I noticed that.....
You have pretty much answered the question that I've been trying to get someone to post here. Which is, What's the point of releasing old, 16mm horror classics on HD/Blue-Ray, if it is impossible to remaster them, to the quality of today's Blue-Ray tech?
Well, for me the point is simple: The capabilities of a DVD are limited - and believe me, when you're watching a movie on a big TV or (like I) over an HD projector, there is nothing more disgusting than compression artefacts dancing around the friggin image. Apart from that, delinearation etc. of a DVD also is to be considered subpar.

With a Blu-ray, those problems are mostly gone. Of course, a transfer like CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD is soft and doesn't offer many details, lurking a few classes under AVATAR and stuff alike. But still, the transfer does look better than on a DVD. And basically, that's what I expect from a Blu-ray release of titles like that. The 16mm material doesn't deliver the crisp imagery we're used to, but it still delivers much more than you can fit on a DVD.

Like this? Share it using the links below!