Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2010, 08:30 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Apples and oranges, though, Bruno. The colors are still well represented in the bd of VC. It is darker, but it looks accurate. The caps (yes, I know they're only caps) of BoB show the colors drained away from past versions many of us are used to. VC looks great, in fact. I'm sure the Arrow bd is highly detailed and still looks excellent -- but the colors are drained away from it.
But let's not forget that this authenticity vs detail argument applies to other companies as well as Arrow. For instance, on AVS forums check out The Leopard screencaps comparison between Criterion/BFI and the Pathe restoration - a lot of people are praising the new Pathe disc (over Criterion no less!) for the fact that it looks like it was filmed yesterday. Although more impressive, the colours look boosted and Burt Lancaster looks like the Cuprinol kid in one screenshot.

Now the Criterion and BFI look seriously faded and less detailed, but have they been subjected to manipulation? Probably not. But look at what the majority of people are going for there.

DVD/Blu companies are in a tough position - it all depends upon the quality of the materials and trying to strike a balance between hands-off and touching up restoration. They cannot always win with some people.
Old 20th December 2010, 08:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Where are all these comparisons?
Old 20th December 2010, 08:54 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Do you mean screeshots for ABOB? - see DVD Beaver. Myreviewer.com also had some shots from the blu.

If you mean screenshots for The Leopard - AVS forums' blu-ray section; the thread is a couple of pages in.
Old 20th December 2010, 11:13 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Do you mean screeshots for ABOB? - see DVD Beaver. Myreviewer.com also had some shots from the blu.

If you mean screenshots for The Leopard - AVS forums' blu-ray section; the thread is a couple of pages in.
Sorry rather, where are people disputing the Blu?
Old 20th December 2010, 12:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

They've been disputing the blu a few pages back on this thread, relying on the DVD beaver caps as a basis for comparison and contrast - Beaver compares the Arrow, the AB and the Raro editions.
Old 20th December 2010, 12:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I looked at the screenshots.

The blu's quality is better in almost every way. But, yes I see the difference in colour, the blu really dims the colours!!

But I've never seen BOB, so i'll still go for the Blu as obviously it is the best way to see the film.
Old 20th December 2010, 06:01 PM
Blogs Moderator

BAY OF BLOOD IS OUT NOW

Read the latest reviews on the CULT LABS BLOG
Old 20th December 2010, 06:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

My BOB DVD arrived today!

Sumptuous package as always Arrow! AND the Hokushin Blood Bath cover fits perfect in the window!

Will check the movie out later ... see how it compares to the US R1 version I had. Had a quick look on my PC and looks fine to me. Will chuck it on my big telly later and come back with my view.
Old 20th December 2010, 07:14 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Apples and oranges, though, Bruno. The colors are still well represented in the bd of VC. It is darker, but it looks accurate. The caps (yes, I know they're only caps) of BoB show the colors drained away from past versions many of us are used to. VC looks great, in fact. I'm sure the Arrow bd is highly detailed and still looks excellent -- but the colors are drained away from it.
If you look closely Ben,you'll also notice the colors are a bit different (check the shirts).
Anyway I just wanted to illustrate that various editions of a film on dvd/bd can have a different look to them.
And it's really not a phenomenon exclusive to Arrow dvd/bd's.
I'll get back to you on the colors of Bay.

I watched Bay (on bd) last night and will post my thoughts soon.

Last edited by bdc; 20th December 2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 20th December 2010, 08:32 PM
Active Cultist

Well I don't really care cos my copy of it arrived today and i'm gonna watch it tonight. It was actually given as a christmas present, but what the hell.

Like this? Share it using the links below!