All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th December 2010, 07:33 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Finally got around to watching the BD tonight. Well done Arrow on another top notch disc. To me, the film looked really good and tbh, I really didn't find much wrong with the colours in the film, and that was even after looking at the Italian version. Hmmmm, wondering if I my colourblindness was a factor at all? Anyway, it's easy to see where slashers that followed took their ideas from ( yes I'm talking to you Friday The 13th Part 2!). Digging into the extras now. And damn, I love that ending!
Oh yes, for anyone having trouble finding it, the Tim Lucas commentary is in the set up menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalky
Old 26th December 2010, 08:49 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Another review:
10,000 Bullets ยป Bay of Blood
Old 26th December 2010, 03:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I got this today and I think it looks lovely, best I've ever seen it.
Old 26th December 2010, 08:39 PM
Cult Rookie

everything that should be red is orange. fact
Old 26th December 2010, 08:49 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by royayers View Post
everything that should be red is orange. fact
I don't think the colours are as bad as everyone is making out. Most people seem to be happy with the release. As others have said, what would Arrow have to gain from altering the colors? It's obviously the way the master was that was given to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26th December 2010, 08:54 PM
Cult Rookie

Agreed... though there's no guarantee the masters they were given were 100%. Not Arrow's fault, just poor QC on whoever did the color timing for the restoration.

The Shriek Show DVD for MAN FROM DEEP RIVER had a guy going to bed and turning down his lamp in the boat, despite the whole scene taking place broad daylight. I couldn't figure it out, but finally realized it was a day-for-night shot that nobody color-timed properly.
Old 26th December 2010, 10:51 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I don't think the colours are as bad as everyone is making out. Most people seem to be happy with the release. As others have said, what would Arrow have to gain from altering the colors? It's obviously the way the master was that was given to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never thought Arrow themselves altered the colors. I figured that the licensing company did it to make the film look more "realistic." While the companies that pick up these titles may be concerned with the fans' experience and the filmmakers' intentions, the rights holders are more concerned with exploiting their back-catalog in the HD medium (which includes more than BluRay/DVD, including various mobile formats that might better compress with less complex images) to the perceived notion of an audience that won't be fully satisfied with how a film looks unless you could go back in time and shoot it with HD cameras and a color scheme patterned after THE MATRIX.
Old 26th December 2010, 11:30 PM
Cultist in Training

When the first screenshots were posted, I noticed issues with the color immediately. That said, I popped the BD in quickly last night just to sample a few key scenes and overall I was still very pleased. True, it's probably 'not' accurate to the director's original intentions, but it's more than acceptable. A fine release all round. Recommended.
Old 3rd January 2011, 01:18 PM
Cultist

Agreed.The details in the picture are sharp especially when compaired to the Italian version which looks overexposed - way too much light - the downside appears to be the richness of the colours which is a shame.

As for the whoever commented of reds appearing orange maybe you should take a look at your tv settings because they don't look orange on mine - just a duller red.

So that aside is it worth getting compared to any of the other releases of this film ?

I'd say so - it's not perfect but it is damn close.
Old 4th January 2011, 05:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drees5761 View Post
The audio for the dialog on the Blu seems very low so had trouble hearing what was being said.
I had the same issue . I generally keep my sound up at 20 when watching a film (including previous Arrow Blus), but to be able to actually make out what was being said I had to turn it up to 35, and even then it sounded a little muffled. Very strange indeed, and only seemed to affect the film itself.

Like this? Share it using the links below!