Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2011, 10:41 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBo View Post
Review and comparison between the faulty and corrected BD.

The Beyond

I had to post this here, since the review thread isn`t open. Also, shouldn`t the review sthread be opened again?
Thanks for that, everyone can really see the big difference! The review is still critical of the quality, but I'm just happy to have the proper atmosphere back. I think it looks quite good now. I'd say maybe a bit too dark, but then I'd just sound hard to please.
Old 26th April 2011, 11:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

that review confirms what people inc me have not been happy with
the EE and DNR

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 26th April 2011, 11:19 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
that review confirms what people inc me have not been happy with
the EE and DNR
True. Though if just comparing the original and replacement discs, we've got:

+Fixed intro
+Higher bitrate
+Better contrast

And the third was unexpected, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

That said, it does also illustrate how lacking the first pressing was!
Old 27th April 2011, 07:32 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBo View Post
Review and comparison between the faulty and corrected BD.

The Beyond

I had to post this here, since the review thread isn`t open. Also, shouldn`t the review thread be opened again?
Good point -- the review thread is now open. Do you want me to move this post there?
Old 27th April 2011, 12:30 PM
Cultist

I don`t think you need to do that, since someone else posted it there.
Old 27th April 2011, 05:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

What's this I've read about repeated footage during the eye gouging scene (some kind of digital error or somesuch) that's (still) present in this edition? I haven't watched the first pressing, so I can't say I know for certain what Vincent Pereira is referring to at AV Maniacs, but he's watched the new pressing and said it's still there (while also praising the improved quality overall, btw).

3/24/11: The audio falls out of sync several times on both the mono and 5.1 English tracks (I haven't check the Italian track). It tends to "correct" itself before too long, but it still falls out at various points, and sometimes the audio is too late/too early at scene cuts, etc. Look at the scene where *SPOILER!*Martha finds Joe the Plumber's body*END SPOILER!* for one of the worst examples, plus there's the editing error with repeated frames when *SPOILER!*Joe the plumber gets his eyes gouged out*END SPOILER!*.

3/28/11: SPOILER!The audio sync error occurs when Martha finds the body. The music for the scene starts as well as Martha yelling "Joe!" before the previous scene of Liza and Emily entering Emily's house ends, and the music cues and sound of Joe puking chunks and blood is all out of sync.END SPOILER!

4/23/11: One thing to note is that bright/daytime scenes aren't particularly affected by the change in black levels on the new Blu-ray, so that one specific "controversial" scene that so many folks have pointed out in criticizing the brightness of the first encode- Joe the Plumber coming up out of the bathtub- looks pretty much the same here as it does on the "incorrect" Blu-ray. The real big difference is in dark scenes. On the new encode, blacks look REALLY BLACK, whereas on the first encode they have that flat milky greyish-brown look.

The overall impression is a much greater sense of depth on the new encode compared to the original. Unfortunately, it does still have the audio sync issues in a couple of scenes, and that bit of repeated footage during the eye-gouging hasn't been fixed, but on the whole I do find this re-encoded version of THE BEYOND to be very good and much improved over the first pressing. It is still flawed in those areas I have mentioned, but overall this is a very satisfying way to view THE BEYOND IMO and it definitely blows previous DVD versions away. It's not 100% perfect but it's pretty damned good to say the least and I applaud Arrow for being so diligent with their replacement program.

http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/show...988#post885988
Old 7th May 2011, 06:44 PM
Cultist in Training

How is the DNR and EE on this disc? Did Arrow do it again? Since I had this on VHS and DVD, BD is the last Version I'm gonna buy so I'd like a pure and as-grainy-as-fulci-made-it picture. Should I wait or pick this one up?
Old 7th May 2011, 06:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Sadly there IS some DNR added, even on the corrected disc
Old 7th May 2011, 07:35 PM
Cultist in Training

What a pity. I'll never understand why they are actually spending money to loose money. I mean, somebody has to to this every time without realizing that most people don't want it, if there's not too much grain, at least. How can you sit on front of your PC and think, wow that's way to sharp and detailled, let's make it a lil worse! But it still looks way better than the DVDs, though.
Old 7th May 2011, 07:40 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydK View Post
What a pity. I'll never understand why they are actually spending money to loose money.
True, I find it hard to fathom.
I'll just have to avoid the current crop of arrow releases until they learn their lesson. If I wanted a soft image I'd upscale a DVD.

Like this? Share it using the links below!