Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th May 2011, 07:55 PM
Cultist in Training

I'd say their releases are almost perfect. Everybody who buys Blu and compares releases would buy them, worldwide. I met the Arrow Video guy once, he seems nice and loves those movies, maybe someone should tell him a hands-off approach might be the way to go. Maybe he only has a 32 inch screen at home and thinks this looks better :-).
Old 7th May 2011, 10:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Finally got myself a new PS3 and decided to put The Beyond on first as I've been waiting so long to see it. I was completely blown away with how good the picture quality was. Was really, really nice. It could well be Arrow Videos best transfer yet. Fantastic release!

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 8th May 2011, 08:06 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimonH View Post
True, I find it hard to fathom.
I'll just have to avoid the current crop of arrow releases until they learn their lesson. If I wanted a soft image I'd upscale a DVD.
Funny statement. Very funny indeed. As if a good Blu-ray release was all about DNR not being present. We're back to the topic of rational thinking, I guess.

As it's Sunday: why do you see the DNR in your Arrow Blu-ray, but do not notice your own blurred vision?

Greetings!
Old 8th May 2011, 09:46 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Funny statement. Very funny indeed. As if a good Blu-ray release was all about DNR not being present. We're back to the topic of rational thinking, I guess.

As it's Sunday: why do you see the DNR in your Arrow Blu-ray, but do not notice your own blurred vision?

Greetings!
To be fair, it is a big point. Just look at some of the terrible blu's out there with DNR applied, Patton and Predator being 2 of the worst examples. Grain gooooood, DNR baaaaaaad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trench likes this.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:14 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
To be fair, it is a big point. Just look at some of the terrible blu's out there with DNR applied, Patton and Predator being 2 of the worst examples. Grain gooooood, DNR baaaaaaad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe - I haven't seen those two so I cannot be the judge.

I just wanted to imply that it may be an exaggerated reaction to skip a Blu-ray buy because the disc company used a little bit of DNR - and that's what Arrow did. I'm fine with that as long as it's not changing the original effect of the movie's photography.

But I know what you wanna say (I've already read your signature once in a while ): when there's film grain in the original negative (because it was shot in times where HD cams were not known - and those days were not necessarily the bad days in terms of movie photography, if you ask me ), it should have that grainy look in the Blu-ray release, too. And if you wanna know what I think about that opinion of yours:

Greetings!
Old 8th May 2011, 11:03 PM
Cult Rookie

I'm skipping all the Arrow releases now as well, and have sold on the ones I did have. I don't care how good the extras are, The Beyond is unwatchable in some scenes due to how smeary it all looks and that makes me feel ripped off. It's a crying shame because some of it looks great.

Other companies seem to know how to treat these releases - I had no problems with Inferno until I saw just how much better the Blue Underground version was - so I'm content to wait until someone else releases it.
Old 8th May 2011, 11:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

It is still a great package but I am a hater of DNR
I just hope Arrow learnt a lesson with DNR on this and Deep Red
No more EE or DNR please
Just leave the image as it is

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 9th May 2011, 05:35 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watching the replacement disc right now. I'm pretty impressed and super glad that Arrow fixed this up. I'm actually quite surprised at how good this looks much of the time. I first saw THE BEYOND when Rolling Thunder and Grindhouse Releasing put it out theatrically in the 90's then since many times via the AB disc, this release does take it to another level (though I will say I cannot recall what the theatrical print looked like).. I haven't watched the entire movie on the original blu-ray, but what I did see has been vastly improved upon (the increase in file and bit rate size has definitely benefitted the transfer). Thank you, Fran and Co.! Please, please, PLEASE don't let this kind of thing happen again -- I'm really hoping this has been a lesson learned (actually I'm sure it was). Still not a fan of the DNR, but overall I'm very happy with what I'm seeing. Thanks!
Old 9th May 2011, 08:28 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I did not think the DNR in the Beyond was that bad - if anyone wants to see some seriously bad-looking DNR, check out the screencaps for Dementia 13, and The Terror.

Edit:

Quote:
Other companies seem to know how to treat these releases - I had no problems with Inferno until I saw just how much better the Blue Underground version was - so I'm content to wait until someone else releases it.
That is a debateable example - although the PQ was slightly better on the BU, I thought they dropped the ball on the sound; it had a muted quality unlike Arrow's which was vibrant and dynamic.

Last edited by Nemesis; 9th May 2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 9th May 2011, 09:42 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
That is a debateable example - although the PQ was slightly better on the BU, I thought they dropped the ball on the sound; it had a muted quality unlike Arrow's which was vibrant and dynamic.
I agree. The sound of Inferno was really fantastic; but I think that Arrow's release had a stunning picture quality, too.

As for the Blue Underground releases: I own some of them but I have to be blunt - they never overwhelmed me. The picture quality, the sound, the extras - they always seem to do a good job, but there was not a single outstanding release that you would have expected from the utterances of some members here. So please folks, back to the famous topic called - yes, proportionality. It is very easy to dash Arrow's releases and to speak highly of Blue Underground's - especially if you decide to leave out all rational pros and cons.

Add: I have to admit - the extras on BU's Maniac were fantastic; exceptions prove the rule.

As for the topic. "I do not like this company's releases and they are cr*ppy and that's why I don't buy them anymore. I buy XYZ's editions, they are far better....blablabla...blubb blubb..." We all heard that before, we all know what to think about such remarks - and I don't like to comment on that anymore as I already said what had to be said some pages ago and as my language might turn out too nasty...

As for Arrow: I am looking forward to the release of Tenebrae - if the extras are as good as those of The Beyond:

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!