LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2011, 10:55 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Terra Firma are thinking of selling Odeon so I don't think they're buying anything at the moment. Vue are converting to digital this year though so you could give them a nudge and see if they want it?
I'm not quite sure how to feel about that as, on one hand, digital projection gives you a stunning image with amazing clarity but, on the other, there is something quite special and almost romantic about film so you don't mind the odd scratch and 'cigarette burn'. I suppose the change is inevitable as it is so much cheaper and easier to send a movie down a fibre-optic cable to a hard drive somewhere than have it printed onto film and have that shipped around the country.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:02 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm not quite sure how to feel about that as, on one hand, digital projection gives you a stunning image with amazing clarity but, on the other, there is something quite special and almost romantic about film so you don't mind the odd scratch and 'cigarette burn'. I suppose the change is inevitable as it is so much cheaper and easier to send a movie down a fibre-optic cable to a hard drive somewhere than have it printed onto film and have that shipped around the country.
And making prints costs a fortune so digital does have potential benefits in that direction in terms of making films more widely available - in theory.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:20 AM
Cult Rookie

To go further off topic, I wonder how long the cinema has a viable future? All the ones near me seem to show nothing but 3D kids films these days and in the US they are starting to show cinema films by ppv mere weeks after their release. This has led to a boycott by some US cinema chains of certain studios.

US cinemas threaten not to show films in video-on-demand dispute | Media | guardian.co.uk

I like the image quality digital projection offers, but as more and more are 3D these days, the public isnt really having much chance to see it. And, although I like it, I do prefer the old fashioned way.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

I actually like digital projections.
My cineplex uses 2K Sony Projectors and OMG does it looks stunning!!

It is much cheaper so thats a good thing for us movie fans
also with digital prints it means studios are using security methods such as Geo Encryption which is trying to stop piracy or stop cinemas showing movies early. I had to research geo encryption and its very interesting. Wont bore you with tech talk tho ha ha

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 21st April 2011, 11:33 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
To go further off topic, I wonder how long the cinema has a viable future? All the ones near me seem to show nothing but 3D kids films these days and in the US they are starting to show cinema films by ppv mere weeks after their release. This has led to a boycott by some US cinema chains of certain studios.

US cinemas threaten not to show films in video-on-demand dispute | Media | guardian.co.uk

I like the image quality digital projection offers, but as more and more are 3D these days, the public isnt really having much chance to see it. And, although I like it, I do prefer the old fashioned way.
There is some real power shifting going on but I think cinema is overall in a strong position by virtue of the size and power of a cinema screening vs even an amazing home set up - what keeps me out of the cinema more and more is people there don't seem to be there to see a film! It's like a social club/feeding frenzy/trough war.

Anyway now I've taken this so off topic I'm going to spank myself and go sit in a cinema of texting teenagers - I figure this could make a good thread elsewhere though if anyone fancies it.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:46 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I suppose the change is inevitable as it is so much cheaper and easier to send a movie down a fibre-optic cable to a hard drive somewhere than have it printed onto film and have that shipped around the country.
We get some of our films delivered via our satellite link. The rest come on portable hard drives, no fibre optic method of delivery as yet - I think it's to do with security issues and low delivery speeds.

ETA: Maybe this OT section of the thread could be split off and made into a new 'Digital Cinema' thread?
Old 21st April 2011, 05:57 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
There is some real power shifting going on but I think cinema is overall in a strong position by virtue of the size and power of a cinema screening vs even an amazing home set up - what keeps me out of the cinema more and more is people there don't seem to be there to see a film! It's like a social club/feeding frenzy/trough war.

Anyway now I've taken this so off topic I'm going to spank myself and go sit in a cinema of texting teenagers - I figure this could make a good thread elsewhere though if anyone fancies it.
Agree there, it's too risky to go to the cinema as the crowd you see it with can ruin it.

To stop it further drifting off topic, I'll say again how much I appreciate the audio options on The Beyond. Not enough companies offer the original mono mix and, even though I use the 5.1 mix, I'll use the mono as well, depending on the mood. There's something about mono that keeps a film like The Beyond nice and intimate.
Old 21st April 2011, 05:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

I find all mono or stereo mixes to be less loud then surround mixes so always use that even though I do not have a surround sound system.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 21st April 2011, 08:11 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I like the old mono mixes.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th April 2011, 10:04 PM
Cultist

Review and comparison between the faulty and corrected BD.

The Beyond

I had to post this here, since the review thread isn`t open. Also, shouldn`t the review thread be opened again?

Last edited by LoBo; 27th April 2011 at 12:09 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!