All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2011, 10:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
God, it's getting some awful (and often uninformed) reviews on Amazon. Ha, someone even refers to Arrow as "the British Vipco" !?!

Actually, reading reviews on Amazon is largely counter-productive to be honest due to how hideously uninformed they are. "They should have told Storora to shove it and sold a better version! I bought my Beyond BD in mid-June and still got the B&W version! Who cares about the extras - they've been filmed on an old vhs camera! That awful new artwork for some of these films has been an embarrassment!" * Points not even worth addressing on account of how ridiculous they are.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think Arrow are perfect. I was very surprised that The Beyond error wasn't picked up prior to release and while I think some of the transfers and PQ could be improved I have no real qualms and am glad to have largely excellent looking versions of old films that are freely available in the UK (and The Beyond error was rectified in such an well done way anyway) so y'know, really can't complain.

* some of these quotes are paraphrased. Some are sadly verbatim
Some of the arguments that break out on Amazon over the Arrow releases are hilarious - It's just the same people over and over disagreeing with each other.
Old 30th June 2011, 07:04 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Some of the arguments that break out on Amazon over the Arrow releases are hilarious - It's just the same people over and over disagreeing with each other.
What makes me laugh is the (often negative) reviews that appear way before a title is actually released.
Old 30th June 2011, 08:37 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
What makes me laugh is the (often negative) reviews that appear way before a title is actually released.
There is of course the gushingly positive reviews that appear pre-release too - and that's just a bad, pal.
Old 30th June 2011, 09:29 AM
Cultist

Well I watched it last night and the... whatever it was, really irritated me. It wasn't bad at all during the darker sections, but unfortunately the first half of the film is entirely bright. It was so distracting.
Old 30th June 2011, 11:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Just received this so will attempt to watch at weekend and give my thoughts.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 30th June 2011, 12:16 PM
Ex-member

Default Tenebrae – Technically Speaking

Well according to dvd.compare the French blu ray is of better quality to the Arrow bd
But once again there is a fault with an Arrow blu ray, this time with the audio
An out of sych problem on the Eng track between a conversation with Franciosa and Nicolodi
I was hoping that my favourite horror would be PERFECT!
BUT NO..........
Old 30th June 2011, 12:20 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
There is of course the gushingly positive reviews that appear pre-release too - and that's just a bad, pal.
Touche - and I completely agree.

I don't understand the mentality behind pre-release reviews, whether postive or negative. Unless you have a screener copy (although I doubt whether you'd be reviewing it on Amazon if you did), then it's hard to comment on something you haven't seen yet!

To be honest, I do see more negative pre-release reviews and comments for Arrow titles than I do sickly sweet positives. Whether it's rival companies, or people with a serious chip on their shoulder, like Pete said, it's amusing reading some of the frankly juvenile and pompous comments that are left as people bicker with each other in a never-ending circle.

As for the Amazon reviews themselves, I pay absolutely zero attention to them. If I'm undecided on the quality of a title I'll look to DVD Beaver, or another online review site.
Old 30th June 2011, 12:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm in the middle of watching this now and whilst the grain does look... strange, I'm pleased with the detail even if the grain is a little rough to look at. As for the sync problems I dunno as I'm watching the italian mono track

EDIT:

Having watched it all now. I soon got used to the picture and overall I'm pretty satisfied with it. The detail could have been a little stronger in places, and some was perhaps obscured by the wierd grain, but in many instances was very good.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Last edited by oaxaca; 30th June 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 30th June 2011, 12:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Touche - and I completely agree.

I don't understand the mentality behind pre-release reviews, whether postive or negative. Unless you have a screener copy (although I doubt whether you'd be reviewing it on Amazon if you did), then it's hard to comment on something you haven't seen yet!

To be honest, I do see more negative pre-release reviews and comments for Arrow titles than I do sickly sweet positives. Whether it's rival companies, or people with a serious chip on their shoulder, like Pete said, it's amusing reading some of the frankly juvenile and pompous comments that are left as people bicker with each other in a never-ending circle.

As for the Amazon reviews themselves, I pay absolutely zero attention to them. If I'm undecided on the quality of a title I'll look to DVD Beaver, or another online review site.

I suppose that those writing pre-release reviews are either driven by passion or hatred. There are those that love certain films and I suppose they like seeing their name affiliated with them somehow, if only writing a review on Amazon. There are those of course who will seize every opportunity to have a dig, for whatever reason.

There are plenty from both camps online, but I do believe that there's definitely more of a leaning towards the negative in many of the places I find myself, not least the message boards on IMDb which is probably the worst example I can think of. It never ceases to amaze me how many person-specific threads on IMDb are started because someone wants to know a celebrities religion, sexuality or whether or not they smoke. It's hilarious! If you're a gay Jew with a liking for cigars or a Muslim lesbian with a 20-a-day habit, your name will be mud over there. The interest in these things is beyond obsessive and if I were one of the people that was the subject of such discussions I'd be more than a little unhinged
Old 30th June 2011, 04:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I suppose that those writing pre-release reviews are either driven by passion or hatred. There are those that love certain films and I suppose they like seeing their name affiliated with them somehow, if only writing a review on Amazon. There are those of course who will seize every opportunity to have a dig, for whatever reason.

There are plenty from both camps online, but I do believe that there's definitely more of a leaning towards the negative in many of the places I find myself, not least the message boards on IMDb which is probably the worst example I can think of. It never ceases to amaze me how many person-specific threads on IMDb are started because someone wants to know a celebrities religion, sexuality or whether or not they smoke. It's hilarious! If you're a gay Jew with a liking for cigars or a Muslim lesbian with a 20-a-day habit, your name will be mud over there. The interest in these things is beyond obsessive and if I were one of the people that was the subject of such discussions I'd be more than a little unhinged
I've never ventured onto the IMDB message boards, but have heard numerous times, and from various people, that they are awful.

Like this? Share it using the links below!