All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2011, 01:22 PM
Cult Rookie

Default I believe......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydn View Post
Sorry mate but I'm just gutted about the picture quality and can't believe it's gone out like that, looks terrible, I'll be amazed if no one else agrees
I agree.

I don't have any audio issues, but the image (on an even BR scale) is horrible. I had to play around with my picture settings to improve it. I have eight other ARROW blurays and this is the worst in regards to feature image. All the digital noise is distracting, and i'm watching this on a 32" LCD screen so i can imagine its more annoying on larger screens.

When it comes to technical knowledge about transfers, i'm a little less than average so i can't give you more detailed comments about this transfer outside digital noise and a few other terms.

"I may not know much about art, but i know what i like" Is that how it went?

Looking forward to MANIC COP

peace
Old 11th July 2011, 01:27 PM
Cult Rookie

oh....

It took me 10mins into the film to forget all about the dodgy transfer
Old 11th July 2011, 07:33 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinncent View Post
Name one Italian giallo movie dubbed to english that IS in sync!
I was commenting on a scene involving Franciosa and Nicolodi. he asks her for a drink and she is seen mouthing as if to reply but her voice is not heard until some time later
I know all about Italian dubbed to English!
Old 11th July 2011, 10:14 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You done a bit of dubbing then?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th July 2011, 10:23 PM
Ex-member

Default Tenebrae – Technically Speaking

you know what i mean and Arrow ****ed up
just read the review of Tenebre by Troy Howarth on avmaniacs and he seems to be right
Old 11th July 2011, 10:26 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

No,I was asking a serious question.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th July 2011, 10:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hummmmm... out-of-synch vs. permanent subs.

That´s easy!
Old 11th July 2011, 10:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Arrow...

Wild Side...

Last edited by springjack; 12th July 2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11th July 2011, 10:54 PM
Ex-member

Default Tenebrae – Technically Speaking

watching as many foreign films as I have and no doubt everyone on this site, the dubbing can be ok and acceptable, but with Argento films I watch them in Eng as preferred, NIKITA, ICHI THE KILLER, etc. alwayd subs. but the Yanks are among the worst for dubs to suit their crap translation
are you getting out of the '****ed up by Arrow again' statement?
they are being prone to these mistakes
i count 4 of my faves being ruined to an extent
and i won't buy these editions - Blue Underground are better
Old 12th July 2011, 03:53 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

A couple of days ago, I said that I would comment on the technical aspects of Arrow's Tenebrae release. (Note: I am an amateur when it comes to technical jargon – but I’ve watched a huge number of films. I am no high definition freak – but I enjoy good AV quality.) I use the KISS method – keep things short and simple. Here you are.

TENEBRAE

PQ: 7.5 out of 10 points. There are quite a few visual merits of this Arrow release. Sharpness and contrast are not perfect, but nothing to worry about either - it's not a movie from 2011. The colours look great – natural skin tones, no colour casts. The biggest pro of this release: its brightness. Luciano Tovoli, the film’s cinematographer, once stated that Argento wanted Tenebrae to look very clean and bright (see booklet for more info) – maybe Dario wanted a contrast to the film’s title? However, that’s what you get: a bright picture, but still with a natural look. I sometimes change the settings of my TV in order to improve the picture - this was not necessary with this release. So why only 7.5 out of 10? Well – call it “strange looking grain” or “digital noise”, but that’s what you’ll have to deal with throughout the movie. It does not look like real film grain, but more like the consequences of some digital treatment. It’s quite obvious for the first thirty minutes – afterwards, it’s getting a lot better; some of the last shots (I especially remember the rainy scene at the end in the car) look really great.
/// The picture quality of this release is definitely not perfect - but it’s not in the least as bad as some reviewers make us believe. I was not overwhelmed, but quite satisfied with the picture. ///

AQ: 7.5 out of 10 points. The dialogues are clear, although there are some slight variations of loudness. Soundtrack and sound effects are powerful and well-balanced. So why only 7.5 out of 10? First, there are two very (and I’d like to stress that: very) short moments of asynchronicity – nothing to whine about, but nothing do deny either. Second, the score by members of Goblin sounds powerful – but it’s also a little bit rough from time to time, forcing the speakers to sound a bit tinny. I also took into account that some members here complained about having some trouble with their rear speakers.
/// Again, the sound is not perfect – but it is more than adequate. I also liked the fact that the movie is presented in its faithful original Mono mix. ///

Extras: 9 out of 10 points. As usual, the extras are very nice. I especially liked the interview with Daria Nicolodi. It’s always a pleasure to see and hear her pulling Dario’s leg without humiliating him. The Goblin extra’s a little gem - but see and listen for yourself. As for the packaging: the usual Arrow treatment. 4 nice sleeves, slip case, booklet, and poster.
/// Great as usual – nothing to complain about. I would have loved to hear more from Luciano Tovoli, though. ///

It is a nice package after all. Yes, there are some issues with the picture – but it is worth every penny all the same. Recommended.

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!