All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2011, 08:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
HA HA HA, Thought some of their cases smelled odd.
Speaking of cases - I just hate those Warner eco cases - next time, they'll send the bare discs in an envelope, I guess.

Greetings!
Old 20th July 2011, 09:21 PM
Cult Rookie

I've just finished my copy of Tenebrae on Blu-ray, and I must say that the "haze" isn't as bad as the reviews have made it out to be. In fact, this looks much better than my Anchor Bay disc. I was a little bummed that I couldn't watch the extras that were included.
Old 20th July 2011, 09:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrong299 View Post
I've just finished my copy of Tenebrae on Blu-ray, and I must say that the "haze" isn't as bad as the reviews have made it out to be. In fact, this looks much better than my Anchor Bay disc. I was a little bummed that I couldn't watch the extras that were included.
Isn´t as bad as the reviews made it if you only watch this version...

Just check the other version...
http://www.landofwhimsy.com/archives...w-tenebrae-bd/
Old 22nd July 2011, 07:07 PM
Cult Rookie

Default I'm happy with the transfer

First of all, I'm not an Arrow fanboy and I only buy import releases not available in the States. Overall, the transfer is average with some nice HD pop and it blows away my Anchor Bay DVD. I like the intro scene when he rides his bike to the airport and meets his driver. Another scene that looks amazing is when Peter and the jail bait plumber are bent over inspecting the kitchen sink pipes. The downside, there are issues with the dancing, sandstorm grain. Particularly, the scene in the morgue where the white walls are out of control and the beach scene. Another issue is the crackling sound during the Louma crane scene. During this scene i grab my remote and switch to the Italian track which sounds amazing.

Anyways, I'm quite happy with the picture on my 46" Samsung LED/LCD. Typically, for all old catalog releases from Arrow and Blue Underground I'll set the picture mode to 'movie' and I always have sharpness set to 0. Let me state, that at 3 feet the picture is unbearable due to the grain or noise, however at 10 ft away it blends in beautifully most of the time.

I was considering the French Wildside release because of all the glowing recommendations, however the FORCED subtitles and special features in french are a no sale. Also, the Arrow package is incredible and was under $20 shipped.
The Arrow blu is fine until Anchor Bay releases a domestic release. I've already watched Tenebrae in glorious HD 5 times which I feel was a good investment.

Keep up the good work from a loyal USA fan. By the way, the only Arrow releases I own are The Beyond and Phenomena which look amazing. I will continue to support Arrow and I plan to buy The Funhouse Blu and I'm crossing my fingers for Dellamorte Dellamore on Blu.

Any news on a future Arrow Dellamorte Dellamore release? I would consider the Italian blu but the 25GB disc size and price is holding me back.

It's also a shame that in the UK there is no official Wicker Man ('73) release.
Old 22nd July 2011, 07:16 PM
Ex-member

Default Tenebrae – Technically Speaking

It would be great if Blue Underground released the long version of TENEBRE as well and judging by other blu rays from them, they would do a better job than Arrow
Old 22nd July 2011, 07:20 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Speaking of cases - I just hate those Warner eco cases - next time, they'll send the bare discs in an envelope, I guess.

Greetings!
Me too! They're too flimsy. More risk of the paper insert with the artwork being damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andes View Post
I was considering the French Wildside release because of all the glowing recommendations, however the FORCED subtitles and special features in french are a no sale.
Don´t know why write FORCED with CAPS LOCK...
The damn subtitles are so little.

It´s better to have great picture quality with small forces subtitles than an averace picture quality with optional subtitles.

Quote:
First of all, I'm not an Arrow fanboy and I only buy import releases not available in the States.
Quote:
Keep up the good work from a loyal USA fan.
So... no fanboy, but a loyal fan... contradition!!!

Quote:
It's also a shame that in the UK there is no official Wicker Man ('73) release.
So far the best version of the original Wicker Man is the UK one...

The Wicker Man (2 DVD + CD Collector's Edition): Amazon.co.uk: The Wicker Man: Film & TV
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:15 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I wouldn't buy a dvd or BD with forced subtitles even if it was the only version available.

Old 22nd July 2011, 11:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Don´t know why write FORCED with CAPS LOCK...
The damn subtitles are so little.

It´s better to have great picture quality with small forces subtitles than an averace picture quality with optional subtitles.

So... no fanboy, but a loyal fan... contradition!!!

So far the best version of the original Wicker Man is the UK one...

The Wicker Man (2 DVD + CD Collector's Edition): Amazon.co.uk: The Wicker Man: Film & TV
Nothing wrong with writing forced in capitals. And if he's contradicting himself then so what?

You seem to be awfully determined to make people buy the french edition, can't you just accept that people do actually like the Arrow version?
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:29 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I wouldn't buy a dvd or BD with forced subtitles even if it was the only version available.

So you would rather live with a crappy VHS than an awesome DVD/BD version of a movie with forced subs then?

Well....okey then

The subs are tiny, and you get much, MUCH better picture quality. If that isn´t important to you, then why did you get a BD player at all?

Last edited by Steel76; 23rd July 2011 at 12:44 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!