Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2011, 06:15 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I think the article is referring to the UK market, so any film was released on Blu-ray just in the US don't count. It's sad to think we're not getting the media book release of A Clockwork Orange and numerous other BDs that will only be available in the US. Why isn't The Illusionist being released on Blu-ray in the UK? I don't know.
It is odd, but most of us have been importing DVD ever since we heard the phrase 'region 1', so its not that big a deal. There's a stack of Blurays and DVDs' that are US only, we just import and moan about it
Old 12th May 2011, 06:41 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
It is odd, but most of us have been importing DVD ever since we heard the phrase 'region 1', so its not that big a deal. There's a stack of Blurays and DVDs' that are US only, we just import and moan about it
People who are Internet savvy and know the right sites and/or have a multi region player do, but I bet there are plenty of people who have never imported a DVD or BD in their life.
plasterface likes this.
Old 12th May 2011, 07:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default blu

Quote:
People who are Internet savvy and know the right sites and/or have a multi region player do, but I bet there are plenty of people who have never imported a DVD or BD in their life.
well said why should i have to fork out for a hd tv with a blu ray player or a multi region dvd player, i am saddened many argento fans that have loyally purchased arrow's argento dvd releases be robbed of a title. every time a film is mentioned here its "oh i already own the region 1 version " or " blu ray please", I will keep buying dvds till the format dies, anyone with a blu ray player can still watch a dvd i am sorry if the low resolution hurts their eyes. it'd be nice of arrow to release a dvd of this title some where down the line. dvd aint dead its undead and its still hungry.
Kyle and platostotal like this.
Old 12th May 2011, 07:25 PM
Cult Rookie

I'm beginning to think the non-release of this in DVD is more to do with Arrow cutting its losses and trying to make Bird pay for itself more than anything else.
Old 12th May 2011, 07:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default dvd

Quote:
I'm beginning to think the non-release of this in DVD is more to do with Arrow cutting its losses and trying to make Bird pay for itself more than anything else.
i am sorry will have to disagree on that one
Old 12th May 2011, 07:38 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The decision to make Bird a Blu-ray only release was taken well before the aspect ratio was known and was to do with sales of DVDs when a Blu-ray was available being very low.
Old 12th May 2011, 08:13 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The lack of a dvd is ironic for me since it's the only release I'm picking up purely for the extras and so I'd be more than happy with standard definition.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:09 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
The decision to make Bird a Blu-ray only release was taken well before the aspect ratio was known and was to do with sales of DVDs when a Blu-ray was available being very low.
Really? Despite there being a DVD release date on Amazon at one time? Sorry, rumbled.

Quote:
Not sure what the point is there. There's plenty of people who have never bought a DVD before, or a bluray, I'm sure. If you want to see, say, Enter the Void on bluray, you have to go to a little bit of effort which isnt that difficult to do in the long run. Bloody hell, I once went to London from South Wales just to buy a Bauhaus 12" (oh, and Maiden Japan) from Shades and you moan cos you can't pick up something on yer way around the supermarket! Kids today!

The 'right sites' include Amazon, ffs. I get 99% of my imports from the UK site - its hardly clandestine.

Last edited by KRW; 12th May 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 6th June 2011, 09:19 PM
Cult Rookie

Will Arrow ever release this on DVD? Be heartbroke if they don't!!!
Old 12th June 2011, 09:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

My two TBWTCP BR copies came yesterday from HMV and despite the cropped aspect ratio controversy this release looks like another winner from Arrow. At least in terms of packaging and extras! The U.S. BU edition may well have the edge but this new U.K. HD incarnation is still pretty decent imo.

Like this? Share it using the links below!