Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: What is the Best of Romero's Original Dead Trilogy?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What is the Best of Romero's Original Dead Trilogy?

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2011, 10:08 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default What's the best of Romero's original zombie trilogy?

So this week, Arrowdrome have released the brilliant DVD box set containing Night Of The Living Dead, Dawn Of The Dead and Day Of The Dead. But if you had to pick one, only one, that you liked the most, which one would it be?
wayfarer likes this.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's Dawn of the Dead... and I sometimes resent that film for relegating Night of the Living Dead to second or third status - I think NOTLD is one of the great masterworks of American Cinema - for me it's up there with Grapes of Wrath and Citizen Kane - everytime I see it I'm astonished by what Romero accomplished on a shoestring bugdet, the various subtexts hidden underneath the surface and the sheer balls for a regional film maker to cast a Black man as the hero... Amazing film.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:30 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Night Of The Living Dead. One of the best American films ever and the ultimate zombie scenario - much imitated subsequently - an a horror film that reset the agenda of horror films as surely as Psycho did 8 years before.. Its power and sense of panic and confusion remain. As wonderful as the other two are (and they are both excellent films not far behind Night Of The Living Dead) it is the first that is burnt into my mind and that appears in my all-time top 15/ 20 or so.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:56 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Night Of The Living Dead. One of the best American films ever and the ultimate zombie scenario - much imitated subsequently - an a horror film that reset the agenda of horror films as surely as Psycho did 8 years before.. Its power and sense of panic and confusion remain. As wonderful as the other two are (and they are both excellent films not far behind Night Of The Living Dead) it is the first that is burnt into my mind and that appears in my all-time top 15/ 20 or so.
I originally wanted to write something by myself - but you did the job for me!

Greetings!

PS: The only thing that I could add is that, in my opinion, Day is a pretty mediocre and overrated movie (although it has very strong moments!).
Old 4th October 2011, 11:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

has to be Dawn (the argento print ) dont get me wrong i have the much love for NOTLD....btw i take it that the print of Night isnt as cut as the Optimum one i have....
Old 4th October 2011, 11:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Night, because it pretty much changed my life.

Dawn is my favourite though.

I (kind of) explained my love for NOTLD here ----> Mav's Horror Ramble: Night of the Living Dead
Old 4th October 2011, 11:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

DAY OF THE DEAD - one of the best American horror films ever.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 4th October 2011, 11:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'll add (And don't kill me) that DOTD is hugely overrated.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 4th October 2011, 12:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Night, because it pretty much changed my life.

Dawn is my favourite though.

I (kind of) explained my love for NOTLD here ----> Mav's Horror Ramble: Night of the Living Dead
Fantastic stuff Mav...great post. The only thing worse than seeing a BBFC-cut DOTD was the colorized NOTLD, which was my first encounter with the film. Later on I got the Tartan b/w tape and it was a revelation...
Old 4th October 2011, 12:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Fantastic stuff Mav...great post. The only thing worse than seeing a BBFC-cut DOTD was the colorized NOTLD, which was my first encounter with the film. Later on I got the Tartan b/w tape and it was a revelation...
Cheers man, the first version of NOTLD I owned was this one -

and it was awful! Everybody had yellow skin and it was all a bit weird. The Tartan VHS was also my first legit copy, replacing the well worn version I'd taped of Channel 4, and then taped again using my parents VCR to cut out all the adverts whilst they were at work!

Like this? Share it using the links below!