Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2012, 09:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I love Rick's artwork and pretty much 9 times out of 10 display it rather than a classic artwork - however I'd really appreciate something without the tits and ass, I know this is exploitation cinema and that's what is in the film, but sometimes it doesn't fit right (Inferno...) and I'd prefer a striking 'horror' cover instead!

There is that saying though 'you can't please all of the people all of the time'
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 9th June 2012, 12:05 PM
Cult Rookie

sorry posted this twice and cant find the delete option.

Last edited by piotimike; 9th June 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 9th June 2012, 12:06 PM
Cult Rookie

fair play but the old vhs artwork wasn’t exactly great was it ? it's a tricky thing with art work though like music it all comes down to taste. Its just my feeling that the new batch of releases are going to very slowly look become more and more like every thing else out there.
there has undoubtedly been a change in the way the sleeves are being presented (demons) the content was great but it just didn’t look arrow enough for me and I feel the same way about the new ones class of nukem high is just a montage of images. It has no real theme to it another thing I liked about meltons work almost every sleeve worked as a representation of the film you were buying.
so when it came down to the TnA (with the exception of a couple of occasions) it is pretty much a dose what it says on the tin situation.
any way love he’s work or hate it I think as arrow continue and time go's by and the sleeves get inevitably blander and blander we'll all be looking back with a grimace wishing for Rick Meltons return.
And what is it every one has against the TnA any how ? Cant understand it myself.
Old 10th June 2012, 08:27 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
That's not a 'Rick' as there are no boobs on it.
It's really upsetting that everyone here thinks I'm incapable of putting together a nice serious Zombie Flesh Eater cover without a huge pair of tits in it. Just to prove I can, yesterday I knocked up one with an average sized pair of tits in it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CULT LABS ZFE.jpg (97.5 KB, 63 views)
Old 10th June 2012, 08:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I usually don't like your work but that painting looks good.

I'm just a little confused. You have named the file "CULT LABS ZFE.jpg". You're not serious about making a ZFE cover looking like that are you?
Old 10th June 2012, 08:06 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnToZero View Post

I'm just a little confused. You have named the file "CULT LABS ZFE.jpg". You're not serious about making a ZFE cover looking like that are you?
I don't think he is.
Old 10th June 2012, 08:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnToZero View Post

I think it's named that because he did it for us lucky people on Cult Labs forum.
And if I'm not mistaken, he's put himself getting eviscerated by the lovely lady.
Old 10th June 2012, 08:29 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The "hand" artwork is actually one of the few decent covers from that era of horror films, and I'm sure it would look nice enough on another release. But this "It's old it must be better" or "It's what I grew up with" stuff doesn't half boil my piss.

Rick Melton's shark pic is excellent and would be a great new cover image for a new release of this film for a new generation. Breasts and all.

I'm weary of the perpetual nostalgic clamouring for things to look like the past.

Also, it's not like Zombi 2 is Citizen Kane or The Searchers or Rashomon or anything: it's a reasonable and fun low budget zombie rip-off flick. Why is everyone going on like this release has to be treated as the Holy Grail?
re.form likes this.
Old 10th June 2012, 08:46 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
The "hand" artwork is actually one of the few decent covers from that era of horror films, and I'm sure it would look nice enough on another release. But this "It's old it must be better" or "It's what I grew up with" stuff doesn't half boil my piss.

Rick Melton's shark pic is excellent and would be a great new cover image for a new release of this film for a new generation. Breasts and all.

I'm weary of the perpetual nostalgic clamouring for things to look like the past.

Also, it's not like Zombi 2 is Citizen Kane or The Searchers or Rashomon or anything: it's a reasonable and fun low budget zombie rip-off flick. Why is everyone going on like this release has to be treated as the Holy Grail?
No-one said the original artwork for anything is better than new stuff. And if I, or anyone else wants the original art, then so what? tbh, I couldn't care less what art goes on the front. I never use it. I prefer artwork that was used to promote the filmehen it originally came out, even if it was crap. If people want to use the new art, then I have no problem with that, I'm not going to moan about them, so why moan about us?
Old 10th June 2012, 08:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
No-one said the original artwork for anything is better than new stuff. And if I, or anyone else wants the original art, then so what? tbh, I couldn't care less what art goes on the front. I never use it. I prefer artwork that was used to promote the filmehen it originally came out, even if it was crap. If people want to use the new art, then I have no problem with that, I'm not going to moan about them, so why moan about us?
It just all seems so negative and backward looking. Riles me sometimes.

Plus:

"I prefer artwork that was used to promote the filmehen it originally came out, even if it was crap."

I find this impossible to understand.

It's fine to want some old or "iconic" artwork, but many (I wasn't really thinking of you, Stephen) get so precious about it and seem to look down on new artwork. And I think new artists should be encouraged and employed over and above nostalgic wistfulness.

Some people get over -emotional about artwork...I get over-emotional about people getting over-emotional about artwork!

Like this? Share it using the links below!