Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2011, 11:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Read Marc Almond's Tainted life at the behest of mate. michty! when Julian Cope is telling you youre taking too many drugs etc.

Philip K Dick's Cantata-140. another excellent read from the man hollywood regularly steals from. in an overcrowded future, a way is discovered to relieve the population boom, buuuut like in most PKD stories the human race ****s it up again.

someone made a film out of the Atrocity Exhibition????????
sold!
Old 29th November 2011, 11:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
Read [COLOR="Magenta"]
sold!
Yep, and the DVD includes a commentary track from Ballard himself...

Atrocity Exibition DVD
Demoncrat and Phurious like this.
Old 30th November 2011, 08:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Phil, I love that title Against the World, Against Life...

The Ballard shorts are fantastic, I read both Volumes last year - just incredible. In fact I was reading Ballard's 1964 novel, The Drought last week - no one writes sci-fi like Ballard, every page is full of dazzling invention... Phil have you seen the 2000 film adaptation of The Atrocity Exibition ? Well worth seeking out and as dense and impenetrable as the novel... I've heard the 2002 Swedish film Low-Flying Aircraft is good as well...
Ballard is one of my all time faves. His exploration of social themes over the last 40 years is endlessly fascinating no-one writes detached characters with such skill, yet manages to make the stories utterly absorbing - love him, love him.

My faves are High-Rise, Concrete Island and Super-Cannes, but that's unfair really as I like anything that he's done.

I had no idea The Atrocity Exhibition was adapted - gonna have to see that immediately (in fact I just one-clicked bought it on Amazon now!).

Thanks Wes

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 30th November 2011, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
Read Marc Almond's Tainted life at the behest of mate. michty! when Julian Cope is telling you youre taking too many drugs etc.

Philip K Dick's Cantata-140. another excellent read from the man hollywood regularly steals from. in an overcrowded future, a way is discovered to relieve the population boom, buuuut like in most PKD stories the human race ****s it up again.

sold!
I've had Tainted Life on my shelves for a while, but never got round to reading it. Should rectify this.

Old 30th November 2011, 08:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

@Wes and @TheHamish

Seeing as you guys like two of the finest Sci-fi writers ever to have graced this fair planet I wonder if you have read John Brunner's Stand On Zanzibar or Samuel R. Delany's Dahlgren?

Two of the most epically mind-****ing and expanding sci-fi novels that I've ever read - as experimental and literate as anything by Joyce, Burroughs et al. Cannot recommend enough (although PKD detested Dhalgren - surely reason enough to read it!)
Wes likes this.

Old 1st December 2011, 06:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
@Wes and @TheHamish - Seeing as you guys like two of the finest Sci-fi writers ever to have graced this fair planet I wonder if you have read John Brunner's Stand On Zanzibar or Samuel R. Delany's Dahlgren?
Thanks Phil, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for - the last book I finished, just a few days ago was Man in the High Castle - that's the kind of reading mood I'm in at the moment...
Demoncrat and Phurious like this.
Old 1st December 2011, 09:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Last week, killing a bit of time in my local library, I stumbled upon a book called Dead Brigade by James Lovegrove. It's about a team of British soldiers that are zombies and although more like a short story (it's only 136 pages long, with huge text and plenty of blank space on the pages), it's actually pretty good. It only took me an hour to read it and after a bit of digging, I found out that the publishers (Barrington Stoke) are designed for dyslexic readers and adults with a low reading age, hence the strange format. Highly recommended and I think the story could be developed further and turned into either a full length novel or even a film.
Ideal for a train/bus journey to work, or instead of the morning paper in the toilet

Well hello Mister Fancypants.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st December 2011, 12:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
@Wes and @TheHamish

Seeing as you guys like two of the finest Sci-fi writers ever to have graced this fair planet I wonder if you have read John Brunner's Stand On Zanzibar or Samuel R. Delany's Dahlgren?

Two of the most epically mind-****ing and expanding sci-fi novels that I've ever read - as experimental and literate as anything by Joyce, Burroughs et al. Cannot recommend enough (although PKD detested Dhalgren - surely reason enough to read it!)
duly noted Phu! i take it youve read Bester as well??

aaand i just reread MAUS as i hear theyre making a film out of it! lawdy!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st December 2011, 12:42 PM
Cult Addict

Green lantern:the sinestro corps.
Old 1st December 2011, 04:08 PM
Cultist

Just finished "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell (I just worked on the UK section of the film shoot so was interested to read the book) and "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick Dewitt. I'd recommend them both. I particularly enjoyed The Sisters Brothers - great, weird, darkly comic western which felt somewhere between a Cormac McCarthy novel and a Coen Brothers script.

Trampy And The Tramp win Curry Lover(s) of the Year award at the Scottish Curry Awards 2010

www.trampyandthetramp.blogspot.com

Like this? Share it using the links below!