Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2008, 01:44 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
I vividly remember those "Strong Uncut Version" VHS tapes from the Danish VIPCO as they were also sold in some shops in Germany.
I still hold on to my "SUV" tape of "Night of the Demon"- in absence of any usable DVD....
Their best reelase was probably the Widescreen ZFE in its uncut glory.
Those VHS cassetes weren't exactly the cheapest...but at least they didn't have any Danish/Dutch/Japanese subs....which was good enough back in those days.
I've still got all my old Vipco uncut Danish tapes, they have sentimental value
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Realm-...43030832454357
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just another episode in the neverending German censorship activvities:

While a German label is still giving it all after many struggles to honor the original "TCM" FINALLY with a legit release and the FSK's full approval (which means they'll first have to get it out of the courts' clutches who banned the movie twice, in '85 and '93), "Storm Warning" (YES! "STORM WARNING") just got BANNED...in a version identical to the US "R-Rated" cut, missing already 30 secs of gore!

Considering that the most mainstream genre movies featuring on the list during the 80's witchhunt days were the two "Fridays" (3 and 4), it's safe to say that things seem to be on a significantly worse course in the 21. century over there....

Be nice to the BBFC, folks. They love and respect you.....
Old 23rd December 2008, 06:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well its' about time TCM was unbanned, it's fairly tame by today's standards.

The BBFC were silly enough to have banned it as well at one stage. Overall though there is very little violence. The main reason for the ban here appeared to be the lengthy terrorisation of Sally and the sound of her screaming.

The rejection of Storm Warning is yet more stupidity. I've seen the unrated version and it's not that bad. Quite entertaining actually.
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'll never complain about the BBFC again (well not until the New Year !)I saw the trailer for Storm Warning & thought it looked OK,so I'll check it out soon.
Old 23rd December 2008, 05:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Well its' about time TCM was unbanned, it's fairly tame by today's standards.

The BBFC were silly enough to have banned it as well at one stage. Overall though there is very little violence. The main reason for the ban here appeared to be the lengthy terrorisation of Sally and the sound of her screaming.

The rejection of Storm Warning is yet more stupidity. I've seen the unrated version and it's not that bad. Quite entertaining actually.

"TCM"'s main difficulty is the sore fact that "un-banning" a once banned movie in Germany is a quite complicated legal process, which most labels wouldn't have the nerve to go through....

In the case of "Storm Warning" it's far worse than a rejection.
Like "Hostel Part II" it got pulled off the shelves of stores and can't be sold or hired legally in Germany any more...apart from the severely butchered FSK approved sellthrough versions.
It's the "Video Witchunts Reloaded" all over again....
Old 23rd December 2008, 05:51 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

do the censors still feel that violence on screen breeds violence in reality in germany?
Old 23rd December 2008, 06:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

That's one of their views which even over 2 decades of unconclusive research haven't been able to update to more commonly accepted guidelines in other EU countries.
Their crusade against "killer games and violent videos" has been on a dramatically rising return ever since the conservatives moved back into government.
Even worse, the whole "Youth protection" thing has become a legal jungle- with basically 3 (!) alternate "18" ratings (plus the suicide option of an "unrated" release) and drastically oposing views by the different institutions who've got a say in the issue.
While a movie might earn the certificate of "not being seriously harmful to minors" (like "Storm Warning"), any judge can overrule this verdict and simply ban the movie of his disliking.
Then there's the dreaded $131, which prohibits movies from portraying acts conflicting with the "human dignity" or being " ethically disorientating" for the supposedly more easily influenced viewer.
It's the hardliners' favourite tool and you can bet that they'll use it on every genre movie, which doesn't meet with their bright and shiny world views....
Old 24th December 2008, 08:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
I'll never complain about the BBFC again (well not until the New Year !)I saw the trailer for Storm Warning & thought it looked OK,so I'll check it out soon.
Storm Warning is quite good. I wasn't expecting much, but it has some decent performances, and suitably squeemish scenes. I liked it.
Old 26th December 2008, 06:22 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Does anybody know which is the BBFC age classification for games legal or advisory guidelines .?

On one of the games, BLITZ 2 , ( US footy ) I got this year it had 3 different ratings. Cert 18 bbfc, 16 PEGI , and Teen, US rating. (13 to 17)
I checked the other games Santa brought and 2 more had conflicting ratings, MK vs DC, 15 bbfc 16 PEGI and Mature US rating. Here the bbfc went for a 15 in a fight to the death fighter but the other 2 ratings board give max age ratings . IMO MK is the more violent game .
The first game was a US footy game and was hit with an 18 by the bbfc, who obviously dont know how to rate this new media now thrust upon them as the other 2 boards went for Teen and 16, both lower than the games inexperienced bbfc.

Parents buying games for 14 to 16 year olds are confused, as are shop staff when asked , as they explain the PEGI rating to the bemused parent.
Shops also dont know what to do when a 16 year old tries to buy a 16 PEGI game because its labeled 18 bbfc beside the 16.

Some games have even suffered as shops wont stock an arcade US footy game bbfc 18 as it cuts out a large age section that this game was made for.

The bbfc now 'cut' games, which has stopped a small amount of titles not to get a UK release as removing stuff from the finished game is not only expensive but can take an extremely long time, forcing the game to miss its release date and all the PR expense promoting the game.

The BBFC should stick to film as thats what its good at, films, games are not like films with a beginning, middle and end that last 90mins, in some games there is 'no end' or the path to 'the end is determined by the players desicions. How can the bbfc possibly rate such a differing experience for each different player.?

RANT OVER -Sorry, But is the BBFC Rating thelegal age for buyer and seller have to go by even if it differs vastly in age rating to the other ratings on the box ? and are all older games on the current Gen machines which have no BBFC Rating legal to sell.?
Anyone know.?
Old 26th December 2008, 06:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The BBFC work on the premise that a game is exempt from classification and it's up to the releasing company to decide whether any of its content requires a BBFC certificate. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Like this? Share it using the links below!