Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2008, 06:38 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

This is how the BBFC classify Games, and here's an interesting BBFC case study discussing their problems with Manhunt.
Old 26th December 2008, 06:38 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
That's one of their views which even over 2 decades of unconclusive research haven't been able to update to more commonly accepted guidelines in other EU countries.
Their crusade against "killer games and violent videos" has been on a dramatically rising return ever since the conservatives moved back into government.
The thing that makes a nonsense of such claims though is when you look at countries like Holland, which has NO censorship what-so-ever and films and games are classified and rated by the distributors themselves.

Surely, if all the old arguments about screen violence were true, they should have higher rates of violent crime and sexual assault compared to countries with more restrictive censorship. But the fact of the matter is they don't!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Realm-...43030832454357
Old 27th December 2008, 03:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
This is how the BBFC classify Games, and here's an interesting BBFC case study discussing their problems with Manhunt.
Thanks for the links Vince. Very interesting stuff.

I agree with you totally DA, but even if the BBFC relaxed to the level of the Dutch they'd still be tied with laws like the OPA, etc to ever be 100% censorship free.
Old 28th December 2008, 05:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Her's a link to a list with the cuts made to the German rental version of "Chaos", texts in German only. The rental version misses about 5:30 mins and the sellthrough, FSK approved version will miss an additional (!) 10 mins.

http://www.schnittberichte.com/schni....php?ID=769448
Old 28th December 2008, 07:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes surprise, surprise, that those 2 key scenes were subject to heavy cuts. They were 2 of the most violent scenes I've ever seen.
Old 31st December 2008, 07:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The same label will also release the fairly gory "Carver" in February in Germany after all...with 3 mins of cuts to the rental version and a full 5 (!) missing minutes removed for the FSK approved sellthrough version....
Luckily, I have the UK DVD, which should be a must for those who like modern takes on the backwoods/slashergenre with a gorno makeover....
Old 5th January 2009, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Speaking of the BBFC and the problems with Manhunt 2, I finally got around to playing the game and I can't for the life of me understand what their problem was.

I'm not going to compare the game to horror movies because it's an entirely different medium but when you compare it to the original Manhunt or even most modern games in the horror genre Manhunt 2 is tame in comparison.

The BBFC can defend their statement over and over again but at the end of the day they passed the first Manhunt uncut with no problems. I believe it had to do with external pressure.
Old 5th January 2009, 08:54 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPWNINJA View Post
The BBFC can defend their statement over and over again but at the end of the day they passed the first Manhunt uncut with no problems. I believe it had to do with external pressure.

Wasn't the version they eventually passed a 'toned down' version though?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Realm-...43030832454357
Old 5th January 2009, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonT View Post
Wasn't the version they eventually passed a 'toned down' version though?
They basically threw a filter over the 'executions' to obscure the animation and took one of the executions out completely.
Old 12th January 2009, 12:08 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

They (BBFC) worked with the development team of "Condemed 2" from the start as there were 'elements' of the first game that 'concerned' them.
This was the first game were the BBFC were consulted with from start to finish by any games dev team as changing content of a finished game can be very time consuming and expensive.
Condemed 2 was released to poor press reviews, especially when compared to the original "Condemed" (The mood , that made the first game so compelling was complently missing) and this resulted in low sales figures and the game took only a few weeks to end up in most shops ' Bargin Bin ' with massive price cuts. ( £49.99 to £19.99 ) (PS3)

The BBFC dont know how to rate Games , all age restrictions concerning Games should be handled by PEGI as its recognised throughout Europe and it solely rates , not censors.

Like this? Share it using the links below!