Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2014, 12:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Well lets just hope that the focus of this is solely on 15 and 12A classifications... We already had a new set of censorship rules implemented back at the end of 2012, we require no more...
Old 21st January 2014, 07:52 PM
Active Cultist

Default Video Nasties and Other Horrors of the Time..

Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

Something that's been on my mind since first reading into the Video Nasties fiasco.. What happened with other films coming out around that time that were part of an established series?
For example, it was all kicking off in 1984, so did films like A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th Parts 1-4, Halloween 1-3, etc suffer at all? Or because they were part of a series that had theatrical release, or from acclaimed directors, were they left alone?

Reason I wonder is because many of these films are gorier, and have far more convincing effects than those that found themselves on the DPP list, and are much more widely available today. It doesn't quite add up to me (that said, neither does the argument from the time that Driller Killer could have an adverse effect on dogs )
Old 21st January 2014, 08:42 PM
Cult Master

There was no consistency what-so-ever in the video nasty scandal

Many films were singled out for the simple reason that they were 'in the wrong place, at the wrong time' - hence the reason why 'The Burning' is a nasty, while the so-similar-it-could-be-the-same-film 'Friday 13th' wasn't!
Demoncrat and applecore like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st January 2014, 09:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Threads merged.
applecore likes this.
Old 21st January 2014, 11:07 PM
Active Cultist

Cheers Demdike, was wondering where it had gone

And thanks suziginajackson, I had a feeling it would be something along those lines. Same reason The Big Red One got nabbed at one point, eh?
I also find it quite funny how the Nasties and their creators were scrutinised so much, yet guys like Wes Craven, Tobe Hooper and Sam Raimi went on to become extremely successful
Old 22nd January 2014, 03:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

Something that's been on my mind since first reading into the Video Nasties fiasco.. What happened with other films coming out around that time that were part of an established series?
For example, it was all kicking off in 1984, so did films like A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th Parts 1-4, Halloween 1-3, etc suffer at all? Or because they were part of a series that had theatrical release, or from acclaimed directors, were they left alone?

Reason I wonder is because many of these films are gorier, and have far more convincing effects than those that found themselves on the DPP list, and are much more widely available today. It doesn't quite add up to me (that said, neither does the argument from the time that Driller Killer could have an adverse effect on dogs )

Friday The 13th has an acclaimed director?

cough.

What you have to remember is that none of these idiots were cinema literate in any way....plus twas only another in a long line of "bogeymen" that is used to keep you frightened...see muslims cough

I know politics is frowned upon here, but you can't really help it when talking about this era.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd January 2014, 05:16 PM
Active Cultist

Was more hinting at Wes Craven and John Carpenter, but even so, Sean S Cunningham isn't exactly an unknown name in the horror field.

Plus, I do find it odd that they were just grabbing titles almost at random, or that sounded slightly horror-y, and overlooked titles like ANOES, F13, etc, which I take it were actually quite popular at the time?
Old 22nd January 2014, 06:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Basically they never bothered about Friday the 13th and ANOES which came out the same year as the Video Recordings Act was put into practice, because they were too tame really.

They don't exactly compare with Cannibal Holocaust, The Beast in Heat etc.

Major studio movies on the whole were never as violent or scuzzy as the indie goods produced elsewhere.
Old 22nd January 2014, 06:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Basically they never bothered about Friday the 13th and ANOES which came out the same year as the Video Recordings Act was put into practice, because they were too tame really.

They don't exactly compare with Cannibal Holocaust, The Beast in Heat etc.

Major studio movies on the whole were never as violent or scuzzy as the indie goods produced elsewhere.
As for Driller Killer - it was the artwork that got it banned not the film content.

I quoted myself there not Applecore.
Old 22nd January 2014, 07:17 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
As for Driller Killer - it was the artwork that got it banned
The same goes for 'SS Experiment Camp'. It was the cover art which brought the film to the notice of the "moral majority" more than the film itself!
Demoncrat likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!