Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2014, 08:23 PM
Active Cultist

Oh yeah I get the whole thing about cover art being the reason most of these got nabbed. I just referenced Driller Killer as it was the first one to pop to mind when I mentioned the thing with dogs.
And I'm not sure how these movies would be "tame", as the budgets were higher and effects more convincing - or would it be because they were coming from well known studios that were open about their production values, they were accepted?
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
Oh yeah I get the whole thing about cover art being the reason most of these got nabbed. I just referenced Driller Killer as it was the first one to pop to mind when I mentioned the thing with dogs.
And I'm not sure how these movies would be "tame", as the budgets were higher and effects more convincing - or would it be because they were coming from well known studios that were open about their production values, they were accepted?
Although they had bigger budgets they didn't use the same techniques as the Italian splatter masters as an example.

Kills tended to be bloody but quickly edited, or not shown in close up. Barely anything from the studios looks the same as Giannetto De Rossi's work on Zombie with the camera in close showing every last arterial pump.
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:02 PM
Cult Rookie

I was reading an article on the BBFC and the re-issue of classification for movies and media in the UK on Feb. 24th 2014. I just wanted to say what a complete load of horse shit!

The entire program centers around protecting children from different aspects of cinema experience their parents deem inappropriate and unhealthy; but at the same time takes any and all responsibility from those exact parents who should be protecting their children(and rightly so) when they slip through and see something vile.

What I mean is for a film to classify something to a particular age group between, say... 12 and 15 is a total abuse of a rating system in the first place. Parents really need to pick up the helm again and spearhead this movement back into the direction of properly protecting children by doing their jobs, screen the movies first! Don't go by what retards in Parliament or the US Government deem is ok for children.

At the end of the day its always a parents responsibility to protect their own children and not go by what politicians think. When politicians get too much power it does become blatant censorship which I am against. Government should never be able to control what an adult watches at home.

Here in the US it seems violence is OK as long as there is no foul language or nudity, but its almost the exact opposite in the UK. When I visited London when I was younger I remember seeing Die Hard on TV and how all the MFer's were left intact, the nip-slip at the beginning was still there but blood, headshots and most of the brutal violence was cut out, even in mid-sentence.

What do you guys think? How would you construct a new rating system and based on what aspects? What ruins children more? Fake violence? Real nudity? Bad words?
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

In answer to your questions, I think children are influenced more by violence than nudity as violence can be imitable whereas nudity is completely normal and most children will see it at home, 'in the flesh', so to speak!

In terms of language, things have moved on a great deal since I was young and words which were frowned on are now commonplace in family TV shows, such as The Simpsons. When it comes to swear words such as the 'F word', shit and so on, I think the BBFC are about right when it comes to their use in films which are classified PG, 12A, 15 and 18.
Old 2nd February 2014, 02:45 PM
Cult Rookie

I would agree with you on the violence if the actors actually died. If a child is so easily influenced by depicted fake violence then A. Parents should step in and do their job, B. Never join the military.

Most stances on sexuality are double standards especially when you have a liberal view on it.
Old 2nd February 2014, 03:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smagmata View Post
I would agree with you on the violence if the actors actually died. If a child is so easily influenced by depicted fake violence then A. Parents should step in and do their job, B. Never join the military.
There is a problem as some imitable violence is in U and PG rated films, or in TV shows, and it isn't the sort of thing which would necessarily occur to someone that it would require an explanation to their child.

My parents were fairly strict about what I watched and did really well about explaining what was real and what wasn't, and its consequences. Yet, for reasons unknown to me, I did something which could have snapped someone's neck because I'd seen it on TV and didn't think about what might have happened until years later.
Old 2nd February 2014, 06:10 PM
Cult Rookie

I'd hope personal accountability wasn't lost on your parents and if something bad HAD happened (thank goodness it didn't) they would not have blamed TV.
Gothmogxx likes this.
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smagmata View Post
I'd hope personal accountability wasn't lost on your parents and if something bad HAD happened (thank goodness it didn't) they would not have blamed TV.
That would have been the last things on their mind.
Old 2nd February 2014, 11:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

The problem is it's not a ratings board but a censorship one, in the U.S. if film makers don't like the ratings or required cuts they can go unrated as a last resort, in the U.K. that's not an option it's "Do as we demand or get prosecuted , or if we really don't like it we ban it and tell film makers who maybe took years to get it made to just f*@k off" although nowhere near as bad as 1984-2000 the BBFC still hold far too much power over entertainment media.
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Willy Wonka on 5 yesterday...still has the chicken death etc. This on the channel that is scissor happy!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of whatever we say goes......

I've always wondered why we in the UK are treated so harshly, as u/c films are allowed in european supermarkets et al. And they don't run around macheting and raping each other. Put it all down to the squeamishness that is at the heart of "morality" in this land, a dire hangover from the Victorian era!! 21st century people!!

If want to watch fake snuff/ CP, disembowelling blah blah et bloody cetera in the privacy of my own home.....which I do anyhow thanks to the internet.

And this smokescreen of "protecting the children" is as wafer thin as it was in the 80s. Protect them from what? Reality?

The bairns I know and work with all seem fairly well adjusted for all this torrent of filth that they are apparently subjected to. EG one is horse mad, just like certain quines (girls) were in my day. People don't change that much it seems. Just the level of hysteria imo.

I needs to lie down now.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!