Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st December 2014, 02:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hey fellow Culties.
Right, today a thought came to mind (Don't groan..!) so I thought I'd share with you. Yay you!!

It's this; A friend of mine recently sold off a load of Asian and violent DVDs as he is converting to blu ray only from now on. This tempted me as I have a bit here and there and he got good money for a few like the Tokugawa collection but I think this is a mistake, after having a look around.

His argument is that everything is coming to Bluray but are now limited to 1000 or 1200 copies so everything he now buys will become collectors dreams in but a couple of years. I do get this, in a way, but I think it's wrong to dump your DVDs now as they might be very hard to get again. Remember video...

Take the Tokugawa Trilogy I mentioned earlier. My mate got £150.00 for the 3 slipcases. Good money. These are the Shock Video releases btw, but in my opinion he has a very low chance of ever getting them in a decent Bluray release. One of them, Shoguns Sadism, aka Oxen Split Torture has been put out on Bluray in Germany but has no English options at all. And even with our Nekromantik passing BBFC, these would still struggle to ever pass our stringent criteria, so will never appear uncut over here. Those films are now forever gone from his collection and a precedent has been made for their assumed value.

I think there are many films on DVD we will wait an awful long time for, if they ever appear at all, in our New World Order of censorship that refuses to make films for adults and brings ever more censorship into our daily lives. For years now we have had utter tosh coming out of film studios that are terrified of losing money so aims everything at a 15 year olds mentality. It says a lot when most film fans agree that the 70's was the last great decade for films.

So my thoughts are this; don't be too quick to sell off your old films, they might be highly sort after in years to come.

Like this? Share it using the links below!