Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:57 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

don't mind Story OF Ricky, but i don't really like all the comedic violence, but then i get slaughtered regularly for not liking Bad Taste or Braindead but that's just imho
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:00 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex s View Post
don't mind Story OF Ricky, but i don't really like all the comedic violence, but then i get slaughtered regularly for not liking Bad Taste or Braindead but that's just imho
I'm with you there Alex,I can just about watch "Re-Animator" and don't even get me started on "Dead Snow"
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:35 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I'm fond of the aussie and NZ comedy horrors like Bad Taste, Body Melt, Braindead, and Undead but I can't stand most of the horror comedies especially the very overrated (and unfunny IMO) Shaun of the Dead.

I first read about Dead Snow in Empire, and was looking forward to seeing it, but reading reviews and sampling various trailers and clips... I'm now thinking I'll give it a miss...

I also do like the Re-Animator's and Return of the Living Dead, but mostly agree that I tend to avoid horror comedies - especially the more recent ones!

Thinking about it more, I have to say it tends to be the stereotypical characterisation and crude or poor (usually generational teen motivated) humour that pisses me off more... comedy is fine as long as it is actually funny, but more importantly that it is in keeping with the film and it's content IMO. If the comedy becomes the content, then it is null and void as a piece of horror cinema.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:53 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

actually I quite enjoyed Dead Snow, but I watched it as a zombie film and not as a comedy (didn't even realise it was trying to be one).

I do enjoy Return of the Living Dead series, but as comedies and not horror films, which I think is the difference I don't see the point in trying to combine genres.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:03 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I like return of the livng dead alot, and shaun, bad taste, braindead and most horror comedies, but I agree that its a genre that can go very wrong... Undead for example
Old 22nd July 2009, 06:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

I always think horror comedies are made by people who can't make horror films. Or comedies.
Old 22nd July 2009, 06:14 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo
I always think horror comedies are made by people who can't make horror films. Or comedies.
But comedy isnt really a genre on its on really its alway linked to something else eg romantic comedy, musical comedy I dont see why horror is any less valid a genre to mine for comedy gold. Braindead is a horror comedy and in my option it has good elements of both.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:25 AM
Cult Addict

"Anti Christ" is released tomorrow,anybody going to see it.I might but the thought of seeing Dafoe's er,green goblin,keeps putting me off!
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:07 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Haven't seen it yet but sounds quite good apparently.

Quite a CV for Dafoe. The Last Temptation Of Christ and Anti-Christ.
Old 23rd July 2009, 01:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I agree films like Braindead and Badtaste etc r top notch to me...and cant stand the films that r horror style comedies like shaun of the dead...but got to bare in mind B T AND B D r peter jacksons first few films and look how good he become now... some ppl dont like his films but u cant dis how good of a director he is with films like the new king kong and lord ring trilogies...i equaly like meet the feebles as well

Like this? Share it using the links below!