Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2010, 04:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Vince you will be interested to know that the film has not been submitted yet.

When I saw it advertised as completely uncut on PLAY I knew that couldn't possibly be true.
Old 11th March 2010, 05:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Vince you will be interested to know that the film has not been submitted yet.

When I saw it advertised as completely uncut on PLAY I knew that couldn't possibly be true.
I think Play are just using the R1 artwork - as they do a fair bit for pre-release titles. I think even the upcoming Shameless Satan's Baby Doll has the Severin US artwork displayed on Play.

It will be interesting to see if Red Nights passes uncut (doubtful from what I read above). If not, I wonder how much will be trimmed...
Old 11th March 2010, 05:18 PM
Ex-member

For shame!!!

Never mind I have that freakin box set of naughty Nazis to get through yet.
Old 11th March 2010, 10:06 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Same here. The listed release date is just over 3 weeks away, so it seems there's some wishful thinking involved there.
Old 8th January 2012, 08:21 AM
Cultist

What about some of the more obscure titles on the 'banned' list? Have the likes of Bare Fist: The Sport That Wouldn't Die, Hooligans, Perfect Victims, Possession (Until Death Do You Part); SAS Weapons & Training and S&M - Why? been seen by any of the people here? I take it that last one is an S&M documentary that could pass at '18'/'R18' now, depending on what's in it.

Or do most of these sorts of rejections simply sink without trace?
Old 9th January 2012, 03:53 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurosleaze View Post
What about some of the more obscure titles on the 'banned' list? Have the likes of Bare Fist: The Sport That Wouldn't Die, Hooligans, Perfect Victims, Possession (Until Death Do You Part); SAS Weapons & Training and S&M - Why? been seen by any of the people here? I take it that last one is an S&M documentary that could pass at '18'/'R18' now, depending on what's in it.

Or do most of these sorts of rejections simply sink without trace?
I think most of these would pass now except 'Hooligans' as the BBFC still maintain a strong censor view on real life material put together for entertainment purposes. It's even listed on their reasons for rejecting works on their guidelines. So real life violence put together just for giggles and laughs or for enjoyment seems to be a long standing no-no.
Old 9th January 2012, 05:19 PM
Cultist

As for Hooligans: it was actually released with a 'MA 15 +' certificate in Australia and the U.S. as Hooligans and Thugs: Soccer's Most Violent Fights, complete with "banned in the U.K." on the cover.

The banned UK version only ran around 37 minutes but the complete (?) title is 20 minutes longer and can be seen on YouTube.
Old 10th January 2012, 08:29 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I have a problem with films like Green Street as they seem to promote football related violence as a constructive, fairly glamorous and life affirming pastime so, if those documentaries seem to do the same thing, I'm not surprised the BBFC heavily censor or ban them.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 10th January 2012, 01:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I have a problem with films like Green Street as they seem to promote football related violence as a constructive, fairly glamorous and life affirming pastime so, if those documentaries seem to do the same thing, I'm not surprised the BBFC heavily censor or ban them.
I disagree. I thought Green Street portrayed them as mindless, stupid thugs with no real ambition or purpose in life other than to look for a fight. I didn't find it glamourous or inspiring, in fact I found it depressing and profoundly saddening. Only an idiot would find these mindless thugs glamourous and something to aspire to. And the people who really are like the characters in the film, laugh at films like these and think they're tame and not 'manly' enough. That's my opinion anyway.
Old 10th January 2012, 05:29 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Well, when you watch Hooligans it's mostly made up of a mixture of a monotonone, uninformative and idiotic voiceover that promotes the idea of hooliganism and their 'exploits', set to endless media and CCTV footage (often poor-quality) - a mixture of very wide-angle shots of people storming football pitches and fighting as well as closer footage of people fighting in the stands and other places around the world (the aftermath of such events is almost never seen) set to a painfully repetitive and dull variety of 'techno' tunes along with a few short TV interviews taken at the time with police and law enforcement along with approving 'vox-pops' from hooligans themselves After about ten minutes the 'documentary' became so mindless and repetitive (the 'music' was killing me) that I had to switch off.

Hooligans, like Mushroom Growing Made Easy and others is easily available to view on YouTube should one so wish.

Like this? Share it using the links below!