LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2009, 07:54 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
I dont know what you mean Noss.
The 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time

4. Microsoft Windows Millennium (2000)

This might be the worst version of Windows ever released--or, at least, since the dark days of Windows 2.0. Windows Millennium Edition (aka Me, or the Mistake Edition) was Microsoft's follow-up to Windows 98 SE for home users. Shortly after Me appeared in late 2000, users reported problems installing it, getting it to run, getting it to work with other hardware or software, and getting it to stop running. Aside from that, Me worked great.

To its credit, Me introduced features later made popular by Windows XP, such as system restore. Unfortunately, it could also restore files you never wanted to see again, like viruses that you'd just deleted. Forget Y2K; this was the real millennium bug.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/12577..._all_time.html

Sometimes Microsoft haven't a clue in what they're doing.
Old 25th August 2009, 03:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Im getting the Missus a laptop outta my fag savings at the weekend , as it and another model are currently on offer and seem to good a bargain to pass on., especially as the one she liked has a printer, accessories , bag etc, for the same price as the other on offer thats just standalone . Do laptops have problems with any versions of Windows.?
Is there anytype of Windows I should look for .? as Norton security and stuff like that it says are included.

I have my PS3 straight into my Modem and change the cable to my 360 one if I want it online, will I need a Router for the Laptap or would she be better with a pre paid wireless Dongle.?

I just wanna make sure what I buy is a bargain and not something thats gonna cost the missus a forturne after the initial RRP.

Last edited by vipco; 25th August 2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 25th August 2009, 05:25 PM
Ex-member

Is it a Netbook or a Laptop you're looking at?

Most laptops will take any version of Windows thrown at them these days, netbooks usually come with XP or Linux pre-installed.

If it's for indoor use, then a wireless router will do fine - plus you won't have to keep swapping over the cable between the Xbox and PS3.

If it's for outdoor use and need a wireless dongle, get one of those free laptop/netbook deals as you can get them for £15 a month for 18 months (15gig p/m cap on 3). I'm not too fond of the dongles myself and 3 are a terrible service.
Old 25th August 2009, 11:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I think its a 17 / 19 inch Laptop, the one without the printers an Acer or something like that. Both are £349.99 or £379.99, not 100% sure, but am told this is a bargain. She's wanting the laptop / printer offer.

At that price im better off just buying it , so Virgin/NTL should fit me a Router , and that cuts out any other internet payments.
I was only going to get a 3 month pre paid dongle to give her internet access from day 1 without disconecting me , untill I get the wirless broadband installed.

Its for indoor use, but my current Broadband set up uses a Modem and it only has the 1 usb slot.

I found out about them from my mate who opted for the laptop / printer deal and he's happy enough but we both know zilch when it comes to PC's / Laptops.
The only problem he's had so far was his Anti Virus security program asked if he wanted to pay 80 quid or something for the full service, , but he said no and its fine and that was a week ago.

I hope to get Madden 10 tomorrow, for the online league I play in , so if she can get parked close to the store i'll pick her up the laptop as well tomorrow .

Lets just hope it is a bargain and not something she's gonna have to keep buying stuff for, but the sales guy on the fone said that they had everything you needed , so fingers crossed.

Whats a net book, Noss ?

Last edited by vipco; 25th August 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 26th August 2009, 04:57 AM
Ex-member

Quote:

Whats a net book, Noss ?

A stripped down Laptop.

I had an Acer, they're good machines. I did have a problem with the hinges on it so treat it with kid gloves.

Orange are doing a pre pay dongle for £5.

Remove the pre-installed demo anti-virus and stick on avast when you get it.
Old 26th August 2009, 10:42 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Thanks mate for the advice that i'll definitely be taking.

BTW, whats Avast.?

Thanks again Noss.
Old 26th August 2009, 11:36 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
BTW, whats Avast.?
Avast is a free anti-virus software package:

http://www.avast.com/

It's the best free one out there, updated daily.
Old 26th August 2009, 01:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Brilliant mate.

The 'bargain' ended up costing an extra 50 quid, plus they cant deliver till Friday.
I paid in full and thought i'd get it home today but the guy said they deliver from their store.
I dont know how but it cost 50 quid extra as the RRP on my reciet was £399.99, not their stated £359.99 in store on the display model .
Old 26th August 2009, 02:06 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Brilliant mate.

The 'bargain' ended up costing an extra 50 quid, plus they cant deliver till Friday.
I paid in full and thought i'd get it home today but the guy said they deliver from their store.
I dont know how but it cost 50 quid extra as the RRP on my reciet was £399.99, not their stated £359.99 in store on the display model .

Did the store model include VAT in the final price? Most computer equipment doesn't. If the final price did include VAT at £359.99, you need to complain.

Which store did you get it from?
Old 26th August 2009, 04:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Bannons, a local store that im told specialize in HP, like Englands Brighthouse stores . £399.99, was the full single payment price he worked out so i'll ask them why there was a price difference by fone tomorrow.

My mate gets all his stuff from them and it was him told me of the LT sale , as he knew my missus wanted one,
The one with the printers a Lemonov or something similar , not Acer, but the guy was enthusiastic about its capabilities.

Like this? Share it using the links below!