Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2009, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Awesome reviews for two great current generation games! This thread has made me want to replay Dead Rising again for the third time.

I recently picked up Legends of Wrestlemania myself for the PS3 (based on your recommendation Vips) and I have to agree with everything you just said. Simple but extremely fun game! I hope to soon be meeting you online for a Hulk Hogan vs "Rowdy" Roddy Piper rematch at the first ever Wrestlemania!
Old 10th April 2009, 01:14 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Cool KP, nice that you agree'd with the review. Thanks, and i'd love to meet you online mate , sounds fun.

I've a few more i'd like to write and post up .

I was also thinking of maybe doing a few X 360 / PS3 comparison reviews , as i've noticed that a few titles i've owned on both consoles at one time or enougher , some titles have been superior on one system than the other, especially Racing games, of which im a big fan.

Plus , as I update my EA Sports games on release day each year religiously , I was thinking of maybe mini reviews of the 09 EA Sports range, nothing in to in depth , more of a update on how all the EA Sports games are playing with their 'real world' updates and adopilve AI etc.

Though im not sure, as although I'd like to give it a go , its a section for eveyone and I wouldn't want people to think I was taking over., or it was my section , as its not, its a corner for the gamers in the Shameless /Cult Labs/Arrow comunity to hang when they have news to share, or just gossip when things are quiet.

It would be nice to see a few more review's here, anything from a full review to a mini sumary, if I can cobble together something resembling a 'review', anyone can.

Perhaps some of the new members might like to give it ago, or perhaps any lurkers out there who've yet to join , might consider signing up and joining in.
Old 11th April 2009, 03:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default Skate 2

SKATE 2
Extreme Sports
EA
PEGI - 16
BBFC- N / A
360/PS3
DLC - Yes

Review version - X 360

Ok , first things first, although theres been change for SKATE 2 , if you did'nt like SKATE then chances are your probably not gonna like SKATE 2 .
Its still got the same control system, its still set in the same city as the original game and the game structure is pretty much the same .

So what has changed in SKATE 2 to warrant a full price sequel and not just DLC .?

Well first off EA has doubled the skaters trick list and still kept it true to life.

While rival game Tony Hawk allows you to skate and pull tricks in a way you never could in real life, all SKATE 2's skating is well within the confines of reality , with the abilty to 'Ollie' the World Record height being probably the most 'OTT' feat that most real life skaters would have trouble doing thats included in the game.

New tricks include the 'Hippy Jump', Handplants, and new variations of each trick from the first game as well as more flatland trick variations , all within the limits of any pro boarder, so no skating alone telephone lines here , and its much the better for it , as every challange always feels obtainable to all level of players , as your counting on human, not exaggerated abilites to pass them.
That , and the control system of Right Stick for all tricks and face buttons for pushing your board feeling so natural .
Its a control system that imho works well and you'll never fail a challange due to a late button press as the assignment of the tricks to the Right Stick makes sure of this.

True, your still skating in San Vanelona , but due to some diaster its changed dramatically , now we get a rebuilt city in some places and a run down mess in others, welcome to New San Vanelona.
The rebuilt part is barely recognisable but feels familuar to skate if you owned the first game , while the rundown sections are more of a challenge than they were first time around before the damage.

Thats not to say that the 'new' city is easy. Parts of the 'new' city have been built with anti skating blocks in the walls and railings , due to a zero tolerance policy by order of 'the man' , and large areas have had an increased sercuity pressence, who seem hell bent on wrestling you to the ground and , occasionally , stealing your cash in the process .!

To help overcome this EA now allow you to disembark from your board and walk, they've also give you the ability to move objects in the game world to help you overcome the anti skate blocks , gaps etc and lay down that perfect 'line' or complete various goals.

Back on the board you also have the ability to skitch, a process of holding a passing car and getting a high speed tow, which has several in game uses.

Graphically its improved over the already gorgeous first game. Gone is the continual sun glare from the first game and its been replaced with different skies that give a different hue according to the time of day in the game , which really makes the game world quite beautiful.
The game world is still open and vast so the ability to take a train to different areas is welcome but purely optional, as making your way across town by board can uncover special challenges that break up the time it takes you to reach your chosen destination , as this city is big. in scale as well as fun.
Dont let the size put you off , as if you do get lost the mini map will clearly point you in the right direction, so dont feel afraid to explore the city as theres plenty of events to be found thats not part of the main storyline.

Online play is available were you can 'own' certain city skate spots or try to take them from the current holder, theres competitions and games of S.K.A.T.E. also on offer.

Overall SKATE 2 is an impressive game with plenty to offer hardcore boarders and casual gamers alike, plus there's the promise of DLC .
Its immediately accessible to all players from the start , and alot of that is down to the great simple control set , as well as intelligent game structure and a well balanced dificulty curve .
If you haven't played the previous game a tutorial level will quickly bring you up to speed so you never feel intimidated by the game.

Maybe not to everyones taste, but a great game for those who like extreme sports or skateboarding , or maybe who just wanna try something different .

Overall 9 / 10

Last edited by vipco; 13th April 2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 13th April 2009, 04:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Next review soon......ish.

Last edited by vipco; 17th April 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 16th April 2009, 04:54 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I'm loving this games review thread Vipster - you thought of turning it into a blog? It's dead easy and I think would show off better the effort you're putting in - just a thought!
Old 16th April 2009, 06:59 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Its something to think about Almar.
I'm in hospital Saturday till Tue , / Wed, latest if all goes well , so i'll start getting myself sorted after that.

Thanks for the 'thumbs up' Almar. It means alot comming from 'The Boss'.
Old 16th April 2009, 07:11 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Good man! You get yourself better then have a wee go - doesn't hurt to try, makes the most of the effort you already put in and I think it's really exciting. Practice creates good writing and a regular blog offers a good structure and anyone who is interested but not sure how to start can ask Sam or me for pointers and advice.
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Unfortunately im not using a PC , and using the PS3 V Keyboard takes ages to write anything as you can 't see what your writing sometimes .
Its a keyboard on the TV screen and you type using the JoyPad and sticks, thats why my reviews are not the best and definetly not what I had envisaged the final result to be.

Maybe i'll stick to short mini sumeries instead of reviews as a Blog is way beyond me.
Old 3rd May 2009, 02:59 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Unfortunately im not using a PC , and using the PS3 V Keyboard takes ages to write anything as you can 't see what your writing sometimes .
Its a keyboard on the TV screen and you type using the JoyPad and sticks, thats why my reviews are not the best and definetly not what I had envisaged the final result to be.
Pick up a cheap USB keyboard for your PS3, as all USB keyboards work with the PS3. I've have a wireless Micorsoft keyboard/mouse hooked up to mine.

The on-screen keyboard is a pain in the arse (and thumbs).
Old 3rd May 2009, 04:21 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

That sounds like a great ideo Vips - it's a shame to have your output choked off because of a lack of a keyboard.

Like this? Share it using the links below!