Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1298Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2017, 01:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

After completing Resident Evil 7, I felt like playing another survival horror game so picked up The Evil Within for 10 pounds second-hand. Waited for the latest patch to download before playing it as I wanted the game to display in 16:9 viewpoint (the original full widescreen display choice wasn't very enticing).

Played for 6 hrs yesterday, am currently on chapter 6. Pleased about a few things:

- That it is a lengthy game (15 chapters)
- That it has new game plus meaning that additional playthroughs won't be anywhere near quite as challenging and will feel much more rewarding
- That I waited until patches were available for the game. Fixing framerate issues and adding 16:9 mode

Turned off film grain completely and despite being a PS3/PS4 title that's over 2 years old, I think that it looks very nice indeed on my PS4.

Had to look at YouTube videos on two occasions to work out how to progress - on the dark haired boss fight where you use fire as a means of attack and on my latest level where enemies constantly respawned until you take out the 4 distant figures with your sniper rifle.

Would recommend to fans of Resident Evil, especially now that it has been patched and is very cheap. Game seems like a crossbreed of titles like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and The Last of Us from what I have played thus far. Really enjoying it so far.

New game plus with many upgrades should result in easier, more fun and a less challenging gameplay experience if you can just perservere through the first fairly punishing playthrough.

I had to resort to running and headshot gunning with the sniper rifle against the second chainsaw boss after I had used up my meagre collection of crossbow bolts and it was quite exciting. Took me a few attempts.

Wouldn't surprise me if, at some point, I have to load up an earlier save in order to preserve powerful crossbow ammo for bosses only. So yep, having some fun with Shinji Makami's (the creator of Resident Evil) The Evil Within.
Old 18th April 2017, 01:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
After completing Resident Evil 7, I felt like playing another survival horror game so picked up The Evil Within for 10 pounds second-hand. Waited for the latest patch to download before playing it as I wanted the game to display in 16:9 viewpoint (the original full widescreen display choice wasn't very enticing).

Played for 6 hrs yesterday, am currently on chapter 6. Pleased about a few things:

- That it is a lengthy game (15 chapters)
- That it has new game plus meaning that additional playthroughs won't be anywhere near quite as challenging and will feel much more rewarding
- That I waited until patches were available for the game. Fixing framerate issues and adding 16:9 mode

Turned off film grain completely and despite being a PS3/PS4 title that's over 2 years old, I think that it looks very nice indeed on my PS4.

Had to look at YouTube videos on two occasions to work out how to progress - on the dark haired boss fight where you use fire as a means of attack and on my latest level where enemies constantly respawned until you take out the 4 distant figures with your sniper rifle.

Would recommend to fans of Resident Evil, especially now that it has been patched and is very cheap. Game seems like a crossbreed of titles like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and The Last of Us from what I have played thus far. Really enjoying it so far.

New game plus with many upgrades should result in easier, more fun and a less challenging gameplay experience if you can just perservere through the first fairly punishing playthrough.

I had to resort to running and headshot gunning with the sniper rifle against the second chainsaw boss after I had used up my meagre collection of crossbow bolts and it was quite exciting. Took me a few attempts.

Wouldn't surprise me if, at some point, I have to load up an earlier save in order to preserve powerful crossbow ammo for bosses only. So yep, having some fun with Shinji Makami's (the creator of Resident Evil) The Evil Within.
I'm midway through and ither than finding a few of the puzzles overly obscure I'm really enjoying it. Awesomely atmospheric in places.
Old 18th April 2017, 02:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm midway through and ither than finding a few of the puzzles overly obscure I'm really enjoying it. Awesomely atmospheric in places.
Took me a while to figure out what the matches are for. I initially thought that they existed to stop the bodies re-animating (like the Crimson Heads in the Resident Evil 1 remake), but they're only used to create fire traps to use on other enemies.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:44 PM
Cult Rookie

I'm playing through Wolfenstein: The New Order for the first time. Absolutely love the world of the game and the tone of it is spot on. Excited to get through it so I can play the new Doom. (I'm quite slow.)

In little breaks, I'm playing Tricky Towers, which is an amazing little riff on Tetris.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:42 PM
Cult Addict

I played through that Wolfenstein game about a month ago, i agree really liked the steampunk/futuristic designs and the way the advanced nazi world was depicted.
Nice little shoot em up.
Demoncrat, bleakshaun and 6566329 like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 20th April 2017, 07:57 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I played through that Wolfenstein game about a month ago, i agree really liked the steampunk/futuristic designs and the way the advanced nazi world was depicted.
Nice little shoot em up.
one of my favourite shooters
Old 20th April 2017, 11:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Picked up Driveclub for 8 pounds secondhand (I have been playing a lot of games recently), PS4 is currently downloading a 19gb update so I won't be able to play for a while! Unusually the game won't actually let me start gameplay without the download first taking place. Shame as it is a day off work.

To be fair, I knew that there would be a really big update since it adds a lot of extra content. Apparently (from what I was reading last night) the initial amount of race tracks is doubled by having the updates. And I understand that weather conditions and extra cars were also patched in.

I've also read that despite being 2 and a half years old, Driveclub is still one of the PS4 consoles most graphically impressive titles (is that correct?) so am keen to finally see it. btw It will be nice to have a driving game again, I haven't played one since my PS3 days.

Saw that some folks were complaining about the arcade/simulation crossbreed style handling of the cars so am really hoping that won't be an issue.
Old 20th April 2017, 04:45 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
one of my favourite shooters
Criminally underrated games.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 20th April 2017, 06:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Criminally underrated games.
i can't understand why, nazis, black humor, space nazis, german cover of house of the rising son and this
nosferatu42 and 6566329 like this.
Old 20th April 2017, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nioh

Enjoying it but lets be honest, after a nice run of killing enter an abondened ship a get killed within 30 seconds by the boos monsters giant balls losing all my progress and my williness to continue

Like this? Share it using the links below!