All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th February 2013, 07:16 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman View Post
I've just had a quick look through this thread so sorry if it's already been mentioned but I suggest everyone download CCleaner and run it weekly. You can select to keep cookies, auto form, etc. You'll be surprised at the amount of space being taken up by useless temp files.
Ccleaner is certainly a very good tool,I haven't used it myself since I found Advanced System Care though (which also has an option to delete temp files).
Old 17th February 2013, 08:39 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Switched to Chrome browser again...
Seems to be better for now,will have to test some more...
Old 18th February 2013, 10:47 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Finally decided on a new (cheap) HDD...

Just ordered:
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

It will be running at Sata 2 speed for now (until I get a mobo with Sata 3 ports...).

Also noticed WD has a cloning tool available (download from site) for their customers.
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:28 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Trying to help 2 of my colleagues with busted hard drives,both have relatively new laptops...but are unable/unwilling to get a new hard drive/fresh Windows 7 install from disc...

Thought about making a Puppy Linux live cd/dvd to run their systems on...no experience with this so if anyone has tips?

Thinking about Lucid Puppy or Saluki...they are not familiar with Linux (neither am I) so maybe best to keep it simple?
Old 23rd February 2013, 05:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

I've run my old laptop, p3 800mz with puppy without a hdd, it has 256meg ram and runs puppy okay(a bit slow tho) the easiest way is to use the cd to boot and use a usb stick(I use a 4gig) to create storage/install on it as a mock hdd.
But a big pain is Linux won't open .EXE files, i.e. Windows programs.
Now if that's okay try puppyarcade, that comes with emulators for game roms and ditches the more work based stuff. There is also a floppy disc 'Bootpup' program for older p.c.
That lot should keep you going.
Old 23rd February 2013, 08:17 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I've run into some trouble with savepup it seems (Saluki Linux) as I can't save anything on the usb it's installed on?
Did I forget something...
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

The first time you boot up, when you click on 'power off' it should ask if you want to create a save file, it takes a while to create one, if that failed you can 'mount' a usb stick and drag a file into it's partition and click 'copy' to put it there, also if you don't 'frugal install' on a usb without a hdd it won't save to usb during 'power off'.
All of the above aply to puppylinux.
The .sfs file is where saves go.
It took a few atempts for me to adjust from windows so I'm sure you'll get round it. The main thing is getting the o.s. up and running.
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

just checked my usb, in the folder with the main .sfs file(mine is pup 420arcade.sfs) there should also be another file, mine is 'pup save.2fs'. Much like windows thats where saves go on power off, it takes whatever changes there is in the ram and loads that on next boot, if you add a folder to 'root' it should be there when you re-boot.
Again this is puppylinux.
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Uhm,so I should add a folder myself?
Saluki is a version of puppy.
When I power off it asks if I want to save but doesn't let me specify where (I have 1 partition (1 GB stick) and in the end tells me the savefile is 0 kb?

"also if you don't 'frugal install' on a usb without a hdd it won't save to usb during 'power off'."

I'll need to look into that...

I'm thinking of switching to Lucid Puppy to keep it easy for my colleagues although their computers are both newish...
Old 24th February 2013, 01:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Interesing, one thing is that you set the size of the save file so it will fit on the stick(I think it starts at 256meg or so) on the menu you'll find 'savepup' if you click on that it should have info of a save file found, you seem to be doing everything right, tomorrow I'll do a install on a spare usb and see if I can find a snag.

Like this? Share it using the links below!