Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree642Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th December 2023, 10:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Cinematic Prayer (2019, Andrey A. Tarkovsky)

Go on, guess what it's about then?

Ahem. The apple's not fallen that far from the tree with this rather elegiac effort concerning his father, a Russian director some of you may have heard of (coat in hand ...).
A mix of recollection, image and mood all honour Sr's legacy. Sigh.
Recommended.
Back to the filth then ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th December 2023, 11:14 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I rewatched the 2012 two hour feature Eurocrime! The Italian Cop and Gangster Films That Ruled the 70s again last night.

Very entertaining. Interesting that the Charles Bronson film The Valachi Papers is actually featured in the doc. I've never seen it but now am odds on to pick up the Indicator limited edition Blu-ray in the forthcoming October sale.

Made me smile when i saw that Jonny Redman, a member here and the first person to welcome me to Cult Labs, has his name in the opening credits.
I remember being very excited to see this back in the day, it didnt disappoint. The whole Eurocrime genre was a new one to me in 2012, before that i was interested in Italian horror. I learned about these films through this site. Mike Malloy had penned an article about his top ten and someone must of shared it here. This lead me Lovelockandload.net and Johnny Redman. For roughly two years that is all i watched aside from Spaghetti Westerns. When i had social media i actually added Johnny and Mike who i would class as influences on my film tastes. Good times.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 14th December 2023, 11:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

That's what it's all about surely?
The discovery of something new to mine.
Indeed, Italian horror was a gateway to all of the continents cinematic wealth. Plus after reading about all these films for years, the access is unparalleled nowadays. Sigh.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th December 2023, 11:53 PM
Active Cultist

When i think about it The Nasties boxset from 2010 is what started my interest in Italian films. I had seen some of the westerns on moviedrome when i was a teenager and later it was all of the Fulci and Argento stuff that was kinda my jumping off point.
Over the years i have collected a lot of films from Blue Underground, Arrow, 88films, Mondo Macabro, Shameless ect which i will keep. I have to admit that i have everything i wanted and all of the newer stuff is just upgrades of stuff i already had and as a result my collection has stalled.
Old 23rd February 2024, 07:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Radical Dreamer (2022, Thomas Von Steinhecker)

Doc about W Herzog. Recommended, as it's about him instead of his work. That features, but is not the focus.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!