Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th August 2023 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 689043)
It's one of the (many) films that should *never* have been classed as a nasty or offensive in any way

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 689050)
Totally agree, very very limited violence and gore to point it's almost none existence, great film tho,

Wasn't it Unhinged that was passed 18 uncut by the BBFC and did the cinema rounds then the DPP decided to classify it as a 'nasty'on video.

Wonder what they'd have made of the Russell Crowe film of the same name that was released a few years ago?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th August 2023 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 689052)
Wasn't it Unhinged that was passed 18 uncut by the BBFC and did the cinema rounds then the DPP decided to classify it as a 'nasty'on video.

Wonder what they'd have made of the Russell Crowe film of the same name that was released a few years ago?

The 88 Films DVD says it was previously banned.

Additionally, the BBFC website said it was given an 18 certificate for its cinema release in 1983, then the first (and only) home entertainment entry is an 18 certificate in 2004.

There must be a reason why there is a 21-year gap between its theatrical release and being classified for home entertainment, so a ban makes sense.

I watched it and the 2017 remake a few days apart – if I didn't know which was which and you told me one was rated 18 and the other 15, I would have guessed the 1982 film was rated 15 and the 2017 film was more deserving of the 18 certificate.

MrBarlow 8th August 2023 01:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Picked these up

Thanks to Justin for the amazon like for Dawn Of The Dead

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th August 2023 01:54 PM

A sweet haul there, Mr B. :clap:

Justin101 9th August 2023 01:00 PM

I guess the weird thing is I’ve never seen a Bruce Lee film!

https://i.ibb.co/9hGSJ9y/IMG-2305.jpg

Susan Foreman 9th August 2023 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 689117)
I guess the weird thing is I’ve never seen a Bruce Lee film!

https://i.ibb.co/9hGSJ9y/IMG-2305.jpg

Not a bad one to start with!

Justin101 9th August 2023 02:47 PM

Oops another. Amazon just delivered. Forgot about this I ordered it when the Arrow sale started and went out of stock, the sale is over now and it just arrived lol

https://i.ibb.co/1zTTbV7/IMG-2306.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2023 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked this up in Asda for £2. It was just sat there on a shelf of various bargains. 2023 Diaries for 10p and such like.

MuckyFunster 9th August 2023 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuckyFunster (Post 689041)
Arrived from eBay! The final slasher classic that I was missing. I’ve now got all 50 blus and the 3 dvd only releases! [emoji2] happy chappy

Anyone recognise this?

Attachment 247379

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one recognise *this particular copy* of 88 Slasher classics Unhinged DVD? In it’s blu ray box?

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th August 2023 09:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Does anyone need a kidney? I'm selling one cheap to pay for this and the Bruce Lee set [emoji23]

Attachment 247420
Attachment 247421

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2023 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 689136)
Does anyone need a kidney? I'm selling one cheap to pay for this and the Bruce Lee set [emoji23]

Attachment 247420
Attachment 247421

Very nice. Loved Broken Trail.

Do you know? Is Extreme Prejudice a different transfer to the one StudioCanal put out over here last year as part of their Cult Classics range complete with Art Cards and slip case?

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th August 2023 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 689137)
Very nice. Loved Broken Trail.

Do you know? Is Extreme Prejudice a different transfer to the one StudioCanal put out over here last year as part of their Cult Classics range complete with Art Cards and slip case?

I've never actually seen Broken Trail, but I love a good western and miniseries, so I'm looking forward to it. From what I've read elsewhere, it's the same transfer for Extreme Prejudice.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2023 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 689139)
I've never actually seen Broken Trail, but I love a good western and miniseries, so I'm looking forward to it. From what I've read elsewhere, it's the same transfer for Extreme Prejudice.

Thanks.

Broken Trail is a classic western adventure. In a way i was surprised at how good it actually was.

We are talking a similar quality as films such as Open Range and the 3:10 To Yuma remake rather than something starring a Baldwin brother you never knew existed.

I really got into it and felt proper sympathy for all the characters.

I hope you enjoy it.

I'm sure you've seen The Long Riders before. If you haven't i'm not spoiling anything by saying it's ****ing ace.

Keep meaning to pick up the recent release of The Driver. Always liked that one.

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th August 2023 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 689141)
Thanks.

Broken Trail is a classic western adventure. In a way i was surprised at how good it actually was.

We are talking a similar quality as films such as Open Range and the 3:10 To Yuma remake rather than something starring a Baldwin brother you never knew existed.

I really got into it and felt proper sympathy for all the characters.

I hope you enjoy it.

I'm sure you've seen The Long Riders before. If you haven't i'm not spoiling anything by saying it's ****ing ace.

Keep meaning to pick up the recent release of The Driver. Always liked that one.

Yeah i've seen The Long Riders.

I only saw Open Range for the first time a few months ago. Had been meaning to watch it for a while and I loved it. The final gunfight was up there with some of the best. Can't wait to see Costner's new western(s) Horizon when it eventually gets made.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2023 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 689142)
Yeah i've seen The Long Riders.

I only saw Open Range for the first time a few months ago. Had been meaning to watch it for a while and I loved it. The final gunfight was up there with some of the best. Can't wait to see Costner's new western(s) Horizon when it eventually gets made.

Open Range is superb isn't it. Like you say that gunfight was a stunner. All the more impactful due to the languid pace of what comes before it.

I knew nothing about Horizon until now. Sounds intriguing. Now that Yellowstone's ended (I really need to see that) he should be able to get it all shot... well after all the damn strikes anyway.

Have you seen Hatfields & McCoys? That was a fine western mini series for Costner.

iank 10th August 2023 12:49 AM

Arrived:

https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...407_medium.jpg https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...g?t=1336083798 https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...385_medium.jpg https://images2.static-bluray.com/mo...524_medium.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2023 09:47 AM

Enjoy Guardians. It's your last one from Disney.

MuckyFunster 10th August 2023 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuckyFunster (Post 689126)
No one recognise *this particular copy* of 88 Slasher classics Unhinged DVD? In it’s blu ray box?

This is actually The Reaper Man’s very own copy of Unhinged! 🥹 as seen here -

Attachment 247426

I messaged with the eBay seller who told me that Andy was her dad. Obv selling some of his collection.

Justin101 10th August 2023 12:11 PM

Sorry Mucky I didn’t have a clue what you were talking about but it all makes sense now :)

I remember the original post.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th August 2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuckyFunster (Post 689041)
Arrived from eBay! The final slasher classic that I was missing. I’ve now got all 50 blus and the 3 dvd only releases! [emoji2] happy chappy

Anyone recognise this?

Attachment 247379

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuckyFunster (Post 689156)
This is actually The Reaper Man’s very own copy of Unhinged! 🥹 as seen here -

Attachment 247426

I messaged with the eBay seller who told me that Andy was her dad. Obv selling some of his collection.

It must be lovely to own that item, knowing where it came from, how it was assembled, and by whom.

If you're feeling flush and want to own some rare and quality items, visit The Reaper Man's family eBay store for a mutually beneficial transaction

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2023 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 689162)
It must be lovely to own that item, knowing where it came from, how it was assembled, and by whom.

If you're feeling flush and want to own some rare and quality items, visit The Reaper Man's family eBay store for a mutually beneficial transaction

That's obviously where Mucky got it from if you read his post. He said the seller was Andy's daughter.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2023 06:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Three from the local Air Ambulance shop. £1 each. I zoned in on the wonderful Brooklyn straight away.

All three are really good films.

Demoncrat 10th August 2023 06:12 PM

Picked up Total Recall, this being the UK Studio Canal BD ahem. £2.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2023 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 689172)
Picked up Total Recall, this being the UK Studio Canal BD ahem. £2.

The recent edition with the new restoration and artwork?

If so, nice purchase. I watched that last weekend. :clap:

Demoncrat 10th August 2023 06:25 PM

Well, tis full of extras, so I'll say yes .... :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2023 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 689174)
Well, tis full of extras, so I'll say yes .... :nod:

Looks like this.

Demoncrat 10th August 2023 06:29 PM

Well, that'll be no then, though it does say on the back about the new PV approved print .... ?

Justin101 10th August 2023 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 689171)
Three from the local Air Ambulance shop. £1 each. I zoned in on the wonderful Brooklyn straight away.

All three are really good films.

What's The Impossible about?

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2023 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 689176)
Well, that'll be no then, though it does say on the back about the new PV approved print .... ?

Is it the Rekall edition?

The new one is a two disc affair with a feature length doc on the second disc about Carolco

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2023 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 689177)
What's The Impossible about?

It's a really good film with Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts and their kids holidaying in the far east when a tsunami hits.

It's scary stuff and a real emotional roller coaster as the family all get separated amid the devastation.

I have it on dvd and decided ages ago that the next time i watched it would be on Blu-ray so it was a great find.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2023 06:44 PM

From it's Wiki page.

Quote:

It is based on the experience of MarÃ*a Belón and her family in the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. It features an international cast including Naomi Watts, Ewan McGregor and Tom Holland in his film debut.

The film received positive reviews from critics for its direction and its acting, especially for Watts who was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress, the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama, and a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role.

Justin101 10th August 2023 06:45 PM

It's on Netflix and Amazon Prime so I'll check it out and buy it if I like it, sounds good though!

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2023 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 689181)
It's on Netflix and Amazon Prime so I'll check it out and buy it if I like it, sounds good though!

It was one of those i ignored to begin with and then i bought it purely as something to watch... and thought it was fantastic.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th August 2023 08:09 PM

I saw The Impossible at the cinema on New Year's Day, 2013, when it was released.

It's a powerful and emotional drama about a family affected by the 2004 tsunami, with excellent performances from Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts, and a young Tom Holland, and the recreation of the tsunami is astonishingly realistic.

I have seen it a couple of times at home and it is always a tough, but rewarding watch.

Demoncrat 10th August 2023 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 689178)
Is it the Rekall edition?

The new one is a two disc affair with a feature length doc on the second disc about Carolco

Single disc.
It just says the title, his face and a mountain cough.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2023 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 689194)
Single disc.
It just says the title, his face and a mountain cough.

Congratulations. :clap:

That's the 2012 release. You've managed to find an edition that's not listed on DVDCompare.

Demoncrat 11th August 2023 08:20 AM

It surprises me not, all the pictures of the cover that I found were "unsuitable" for here :rolleyes::nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th August 2023 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 689199)
It surprises me not, all the pictures of the cover that I found were "unsuitable" for here :rolleyes::nod:

Unsuitable?

Oh must have been the limited edition hardcore cover. :laugh: and not this one below.

J Harker 11th August 2023 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 689202)
Unsuitable?

Oh must have been the limited edition hardcore cover. [emoji23] and not this one below.

I much prefer that original artwork to the newer remastered edition.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th August 2023 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 689202)
Unsuitable?

Oh must have been the limited edition hardcore cover. :laugh: and not this one below.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/att...1&d=1691768273

That's the one I have – I bought it from Music Magpie for £3.79! :lol: