Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

SymbioticFunction 6th December 2023 12:02 PM

A UK blu-ray of Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny just arrived. A while back, I bought a very cheap Italian 4K UHD/bd set of the first four films but I decided that I'd be happy with upscaled 1080p for this entry. Still undecided as to which is better, this or Crystal Skull, maybe a proper home viewing of Dial will help me decide. :) btw I previously really liked the first hour or so but felt that it became a bit too cartoony after that. I think it's worth owning if only for the opening 20 minute de-aged sequence set in nazi Germany.

iank 7th December 2023 02:50 AM

Arrived:

https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...g?t=1673538592

iank 8th December 2023 02:43 AM

Arrived:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mG0AA...MEw/s-l140.jpg

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th December 2023 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 693413)

The Oblong Box?

iank 8th December 2023 08:38 PM

Correct. :xmastreedance:

Nordicdusk 8th December 2023 09:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A little Xmas present for myself.Attachment 249087Attachment 249088Attachment 249089Attachment 249090Attachment 249091

Sent from my Nokia C01 Plus using Tapatalk

SymbioticFunction 9th December 2023 11:50 AM

The Mandalorian season 1 4K UHD/blu-ray steelbook set arrived. Will be a Christmas present to myself. Luckily I was able to get 20% off the crazy £45 asking price (by creating a new account at HMV). With those sort of prices, it's probably wise that Disney decided to release season 2 a month later, instead of at the same time. I normally wouldn't spend so much money on a tv series but I'll make an exception for a physical copy of this particular Star Wars show.

Justin101 10th December 2023 11:07 AM

A couple from Amazon, Door is a double bill with Door 2 and they are first time releases on home video. Giallo-esque apparently. Missed Cape Fear for £6.99 last month but it’s reduced again.

https://i.ibb.co/tH4gd6Y/IMG-2676.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th December 2023 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of charity shop purchases from an AgeUK shop when i was out and about yesterday. £2 for the two. Both were half price.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/att...7&d=1702217839

Delighted with The Good the Bad and the Weird. Great film.

iank 10th December 2023 11:00 PM

Arrived:

https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...g?t=1647049857

davcol 11th December 2023 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorcerer 1977. I thought I'd treat myself to a BD upgrade of this absolute classic. I won't bother with a synopsis as I know anyone still posting here is a cinephile like myself. Best wishes to all over the festive period.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th December 2023 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davcol (Post 693509)
Sorcerer 1977. I thought I'd treat myself to a BD upgrade of this absolute classic. I won't bother with a synopsis as I know anyone still posting here is a cinephile like myself. Best wishes to all over the festive period.

Great purchase, davcol. That second hour is a genuine nail biter.

Oddly i've never seen Wages of Fear that this film was based on.

Demoncrat 11th December 2023 07:06 PM

Wages is basically the same film but shorter cough. Just as gripping imho.

davcol 12th December 2023 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 693512)
Great purchase, davcol. That second hour is a genuine nail biter.

Oddly i've never seen Wages of Fear that this film was based on.

I've never seen Wages of Fear either but plan to. I had a region 1 dvd of Sorcerer but my old player is on its last legs and seeing as though I have a decent BD player i decided to upgrade. I do love the fact that we a viewer I can't help wanting these characters (who are all had men) to succeed. It's also hyper tense.

Nordicdusk 12th December 2023 05:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Arrived faster than expected I have only ever seen Scream and Scream Again.Attachment 249153Attachment 249155

SymbioticFunction 13th December 2023 01:23 PM

Picked up a 4K UHD/blu-ray four disc set of Superman II (it has both theatrical and Donner cuts) from Cex for £12. I had a few old discs to trade in so I didn't pay much. Looks pretty stunning based on a sneak peek, I'm really happy about owning it (I already own the first film in 4K).

I'm currently waiting for a blu-ray of the German horror film Anatomy (which starred Franka Potente), will hopefully arrive soon. Haven't seen that horror film in over twenty years so I'm not sure what I'll make of it after all this time. It's a German bd which is said to have English subtitles (I'll be gutted if that turns out to be incorrect).

J Harker 13th December 2023 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
CEX pickup. Old fave I haven't seen in yonks.
Showdown in Little Tokyo Attachment 249166

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Nordicdusk 14th December 2023 11:56 AM

Loved that film when I was a kid not seen it myself in an eternity

J Harker 14th December 2023 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 693571)
Loved that film when I was a kid not seen it myself in an eternity

Same here. I think the only copy I owned was a vhs copy back in the early 90s.
Don't think it's had a UK blu ray release.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2023 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 693572)
Same here. I think the only copy I owned was a vhs copy back in the early 90s.
Don't think it's had a UK blu ray release.

No it hasn't. I still have that very same snapper cased dvd.

peter alex 14th December 2023 03:52 PM

I still have the snapper case DVD as well I wish it did have a Blu-Ray release cause my snapper broke off now it doesn't close

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2023 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter alex (Post 693579)
I still have the snapper case DVD as well I wish it did have a Blu-Ray release cause my snapper broke off now it doesn't close

Do you have any snapper cases you don't rate because they are easy enough to replace.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2023 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yay, at last. Although having loved Spiral last night i almost bought Saw X instead. :xmaslol:

J Harker 14th December 2023 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 693582)
Yay, at last. Although having loved Spiral last night i almost bought Saw X instead. :xmaslol:

See if you're as enthusiastic after watching it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2023 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 693585)
See if you're as enthusiastic after watching it.

Well, seeing as everyone thinks it's shit my expectations are low, however i really want to watch it on Boxing Day night so now i can.

Besides everyone says Crystal Skull is crap too and i love that. :xmasnuts:

J Harker 14th December 2023 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 693589)
Well, seeing as everyone thinks it's shit my expectations are low, however i really want to watch it on Boxing Day night so now i can.

Besides everyone says Crystal Skull is crap too and i love that. :xmasnuts:

No Crystal Skull is great. Better than Temple of Doom in my opinion.

Justin101 14th December 2023 06:54 PM

I really like Crystal Skull too I think it’s really entertaining. And I agree that Doom is the 4th worst out of the 5 lol.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th December 2023 10:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Recent arrivals: the Essential Jacques Tati and the Detectorists collection from Amazon as both were significantly reduced, Rick and Morty from eBay, and The Big Bang Theory from CeX.

Justin101 15th December 2023 10:49 AM

That Jacques Tati set is excellent, I saw how reduced it is currently which is an insane bargain, I think I paid about a fiver more which was still a steal. The aesthetic of the box set itself is beautiful too.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th December 2023 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 693615)
That Jacques Tati set is excellent, I saw how reduced it is currently which is an insane bargain, I think I paid about a fiver more which was still a steal. The aesthetic of the box set itself is beautiful too.

It was in my 'saved for later' section for a long time before I saw that price drop and didn't want to miss out on that deal.

davcol 15th December 2023 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 693582)

I really rate the first Saw film with Danny Glover. The rest are increasingly ridiculous as they go along but are very entertaining. I forget which ones are which but the one with the fake survivor attending a Jigsaw therapy group is hilarious.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th December 2023 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davcol (Post 693630)
I really rate the first Saw film with Danny Glover. The rest are increasingly ridiculous as they go along but are very entertaining. I forget which ones are which but the one with the fake survivor attending a Jigsaw therapy group is hilarious.

Although i've enjoyed them all i couldn't tell you which was which other than the second one had that needle scene in it which was very shuddery stuff.

Awesome elaborate traps that rip people in two? No problem.

A pit with a load of needles in it? Total freak out. :xmaslol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th December 2023 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I read about Andre Braugher's death, it led to reading reviews of Homicide: Life on the Street. As I consider The Wire to be one of the greatest TV shows ever made and something I never tire of watching, I wanted to buy the Homicide: Life on the Street box set.

Even though my watchlist is enormous, I looked online and found someone selling a new and shrink-wrapped box set with all six seasons on eBay for a good price, and it came today.

SymbioticFunction 16th December 2023 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 693551)
I'm currently waiting for a blu-ray of the German horror film Anatomy (which starred Franka Potente), will hopefully arrive soon. Haven't seen that horror film in over twenty years so I'm not sure what I'll make of it after all this time. It's a German bd which is said to have English subtitles (I'll be gutted if that turns out to be incorrect).

Yep, the German bd has English subs. Transfer looks quite rough and dated so I'm glad that I only paid several pounds for a second hand copy.

SymbioticFunction 16th December 2023 10:51 AM

A UK blu-ray of Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio has arrived from HMV. I'm really happy that this got a disc release rather than just being a streaming option on Netflix. :) btw Was supposed to be a digipack with some sort of pull out nose but is just in a standard Criterion plastic case (which suits me just fine, I prefer plastic cases).

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th December 2023 01:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple of discs from the local Air Ambulance shop. I'll probably regret getting Jonah Hex as i watched it on dvd and thought it was terrible, but the idea of listening to the score by metal band Mastodon and Marco Beltrani in HD has appeal.

Still, only a pound each.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th December 2023 06:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Four films from Amazon i really want to watch over the Christmas week.

Prey which has just come out and was full price cost more than the other three put together. :lol:

iank 20th December 2023 10:04 PM

Arrived:

https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...g?t=1466016615

iank 20th December 2023 10:15 PM

Also just arrived:

https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...g?t=1611932128

J Harker 1st January 2024 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First pickup of the new year. A CEX purchase. Kubricks Paths of Glory, a total blind buy.

Attachment 249388