Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th June 2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 250613)
I will admit that I have little knowledge, understanding or interest in politics, but I have always found it incredibly ironic that the original Paul Wegener version of 'Der Golum' (1920), which was made in Germany with a German cast and crew, was stoutly pro-Jew

"In 16th-century Prague, a Jewish rabbi creates a giant creature from clay, called the Golem, and using sorcery, brings the creature to life in order to protect the Jews of Prague from persecution." - IMDB synopsis

That's not entirely surprising as anti-Semitism was only prominent in several German films, all commissioned (if not made) by Joseph Goebbels and the Ministry for Popular Enlightenment and Propaganda.

I can't think of a single film made before the Nazi party took power which had overtones (or even undertones) as anti-Semitism.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 250619)
I havent heard of any of those Nazi films

Do yourself a favour and, aside from reading the Wikipedia articles the titles link to, don't investigate any further. I don't think you can buy those two I mentioned as I had to borrow them specially from Newcastle Uni's video library, where they were ordered for academic purposes and came with strong warnings!

Hawkmonger 15th June 2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 250614)
CALAMITY OF SNAKES is an evil film imo. The sheer level of snake abuse in that film is truly horrific. If I could I'd have every print of it burned.

Here here! A repulsive film.
I dont condown animal slaughter that is recorded on camera so long as they are granted a swift death and are promptly consumed so as not to be wasteful and showing that there death's where not just for the reason of pointless slaughter and cruelty (la Most death's in Cannibal Holocaust) but needless killing for pleasure (Cannibal Ferox, Mountain of the Cannibal God's etc) ride's right up my arse.

SharonLynette 15th June 2012 09:28 PM

Okay so I went a bit mad with my none existent money and of course they haven't arrived yet but I have just ordered;

Dramarama: Spooky - The Complete Series
They Came From Beyond Space
Night Caller
The Black Torment
The Fiend
Chase A Crooked Shadow
Leprechaun
Vamp
Spirits Of The Dead

Didn't bother with Manimal as zavvi has it listed as not out yet and I certainly don't trust Amazon.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th June 2012 09:31 PM

Some nice pick-ups there.

I've a real soft spot for The Black Torment, and Vamp is tonnes of fun.

Gojirosan 15th June 2012 09:36 PM

I enjoyed Vamp far, far more when I watched it recently than I did when I saw it back in the 80s.

SharonLynette 15th June 2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 250679)
I enjoyed Vamp far, far more when I watched it recently than I did when I saw it back in the 80s.

I haven't actually seen it before but I've had my eye on it for a while. Just picked up the dvd version for 4.95 on zavvi.

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th June 2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250675)
Okay so I went a bit mad with my none existent money and of course they haven't arrived yet but I have just ordered;

Dramarama: Spooky - The Complete Series
They Came From Beyond Space
Night Caller
The Black Torment
The Fiend
Chase A Crooked Shadow
Leprechaun
Vamp
Spirits Of The Dead

Didn't bother with Manimal as zavvi has it listed as not out yet and I certainly don't trust Amazon.

I do love the Leprechaun fims. They get sillier as they go on though. The leprechaun rapping for instance. But they're all quite enjoyable in their own way.

SharonLynette 15th June 2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 250683)
I do love the Leprechaun fims. They get sillier as they go on though. The leprechaun rapping for instance. But they're all quite enjoyable in their own way.

I have never got past the first, but I would like to make it to da hood! It is good fun though, and suitable for a 5 and 3 year old, right?

keirarts 15th June 2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250687)
I have never got past the first, but I would like to make it to da hood! It is good fun though, and suitable for a 5 and 3 year old, right?

For daftness I always reccomend ghoulies go to college.

Scyther 16th June 2012 02:05 AM

Picked up the OOP Pinky Violence set from Panik House (including the Reiko Ike CD) as well a a four pack from Kino Video, Asian Action including Yakuza Graveyard and Cops Vs Thugs Excited to check those out!
G.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.