Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

ArgentoFan1987 1st June 2013 01:43 PM

Does anyone know if my VIPCO DVD's are heavily cut or only slightly cut?

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st June 2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 344823)
Recent purchases. I'd love to hear feedback as usual.

The Sons of Katie Elder is one of the finest American westerns. Apart from Wayne it has a great support cast - Dean Martin, Dennis Hopper, Strother Martin and George Kennedy.

Wayne was recovering from his first bout of cancer when he made the film and filming was beset by problems due to his health. Watching the film however you would never know.

The film has a typically energetic score by Elmer Bernstein and some beautiful location photography.

This was Dean Martin's second film with John Wayne. If you enjoy it then you must pick up Rio Bravo (his first) which is an all time classic and influenced so many films in later years, most notably John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13.

ArgentoFan1987 1st June 2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 344845)
The Sons of Katie Elder is one of the finest American westerns. Apart from Wayne it has a great support cast - Dean Martin, Dennis Hopper, Strother Martin and George Kennedy.

Wayne was recovering from his first bout of cancer when he made the film and filming was beset by problems due to his health. Watching the film however you would never know.

The film has a typically energetic score by Elmer Bernstein and some beautiful location photography.

This was Dean Martin's second film with John Wayne. If you enjoy it then you must pick up Rio Bravo (his first) which is an all time classic and influenced so many films in later years, most notably John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13.

I love Rio Bravo!

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st June 2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 344844)
Does anyone know if my VIPCO DVD's are heavily cut or only slightly cut?

Demon is cut by 1 min 41 secs which is basically all the violence and Moon by around 1 min 20 secs.

ArgentoFan1987 1st June 2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 344848)
Demon is cut by 1 min 41 secs which is basically all the violence and Moon by around 1 min 20 secs.

WOW! That's a lot! I might just fork out the extra couple of pounds and get longer versions .

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st June 2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 344849)
WOW! That's a lot! I might just fork out the extra couple of pounds and get longer versions .

The Severin release of Bloody Moon looks great.

ArgentoFan1987 1st June 2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 344851)
The Severin release of Bloody Moon looks great.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Forgot to mention earlier that I've got some excellent stuff waitin to be delivered from Amazon! I'll post them as soon as they arrive!

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st June 2013 01:57 PM

7 Attachment(s)
This weeks new pick ups.

ArgentoFan1987 1st June 2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 344853)
This weeks new pick ups.

Good selection.

Just wondering, is Starman the film when the guy as magical powers and bring the deer back to life etc. ? If so I remember seeing a bit of it as a teenager and was stunned! Never got around to watching it all as it was on TV and I probably had school or something.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st June 2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 344855)
Good selection.

Just wondering, is Starman the film when the guy as magical powers and bring the deer back to life etc. ? If so I remember seeing a bit of it as a teenager and was stunned! Never got around to watching it all as it was on TV and I probably had school or something.

Dunno. Never seen it. :)