All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151400Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2015, 05:58 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I've read a lot of his horror stories before in this cheaper Wordsworth collection Dem

Some of them are very good, Pigeons From Hell for instance is brilliant. He was a fantastic writer.
The Del Rey edition contains a more eclectic mixture of stories than the l cheaper Wordsworth one, and the illustrations are superb, really adding to the stories. I'll tell you more when I've read more but if you like Howard's writing then as an edition this is a no brainer. The texts in this edition have also been meticulously researched to be as faithful to the original manuscripts as possible if thats something that matters to you. Incidentally the cheaper one can be picked up for three quid if you want to read the stories without investing too much.
I have the 3 Conan volumes from Del Rey plus the Soloman Kane and Bran Mak Morn books. All excellent.
Old 11th April 2015, 06:04 PM
Cult Addict

I've got the Wordsworth edition of Solomon Kane and the Gollancz big black book of Conan. I do have the Del Rey of Bran Mak Morn but I've only managed a story or two out of each so far. It only the horror stories I've read quite a few of.
Old 11th April 2015, 06:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I've got the Wordsworth edition of Solomon Kane and the Gollancz big black book of Conan. I do have the Del Rey of Bran Mak Morn but I've only managed a story or two out of each so far. It only the horror stories I've read quite a few of.
I am a bit of a Howard freak. I have a 16 page list of all his short stories which I check any new compilations of his work against, looking for the ones I don't have.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 11th April 2015, 06:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I am a bit of a Howard freak. I have a 16 page list of all his short stories which I check any new compilations of his work against, looking for the ones I don't have.
All i read was -

Quote:
I am a bit of a freak.
Old 11th April 2015, 06:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
All i read was -

Eye of the beholder and all that!
Old 11th April 2015, 06:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
All i read was -

I think that's a given on any of my posts.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 11th April 2015, 06:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Steve Harrisons detective stories are great.
Old 11th April 2015, 06:59 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I think that's a given on any of my posts.
I'm not so sure... to me you seem one of the more 'normal' ones here; although, I think that says more about me than it does about you!

Old 11th April 2015, 07:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default reviews

Quote:
Don't know any of them but i hope you review them for us.
Ok Dem, you asked for it

Wither- a Swedish film more evil dead than the awful dead remake. I enjoyed it a nice bit of gore. Imagine going to pub to see a tribute act of your favourite band not expecting much but been pleasantly surprised at how much the singers sound alike.

Sanitarium- set in an asylum ran by Malcolm McDowell, the film focuses on three of the patients stories. Robert Englund is in it fleetingly and Lou Diamonds Phillips acts his little heart out. The film is quite melancholic and takes itself seriously despite a creepshow style comic over the end credits. Well acted and produced but ultimately a one watch wonder.

Reaper- The warnings were on the cover, bad photoshop of Danny Trejo and Vinnie Jones as grim reapers. a lack lustre tale of an escaped cult leader who survives the electric chair and becomes a cloaked electric slasher , Jake Busey pops up for 5 minutes and Sadly Jones and Trejo dont have any screen together despite the blurb's claims. Well at least I dont think they did as i got bored and fast fowarded quite a bit near the end.

Shadow walkers- the review on the box claims it's project x meets Donnie Darko and since I dont want to give too much plot away I kind of agree. three friends go to a party in a rich kid's house but a meteor hits electric cables causing time warp wierdness. I enjoyed this one.

So I'd reccomend wither and shadow walkers
Old 11th April 2015, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
Ok Dem, you asked for it
plasterface likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!