Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Bringer Of Funerals 9th June 2012 02:12 PM

My UFC dvds came today and I ordered them yesterday, thats fast

keirarts 9th June 2012 02:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 68190

Attachment 68191

99p each from cash converters. Probably crap but hard to argue at that price.

(meteor storm is directed by Tibor Takacs of GATE fame so could be interesting.)

Bringer Of Funerals 9th June 2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 249178)
Attachment 68190

Attachment 68191

Probably crap but hard to argue at that price.

You can't argue for the good cheesy fun it will provide though

Hawkmonger 9th June 2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 249150)
So i was out at a shopping center seeing Dark Shadows for the second time with a friend, and i thought id pop into my local JB Hi Fi, and i picked up the Army Of Darkness Necronomicon for $40!! :high5:

The books fits perfectly with the shape and style of the other 2 once out of the box. The pages are great and in the tradition of the others. The set is essentially dual format, with the Theatrical Blu Ray, Theatrical DVD, and the Directors DVD. Absolutely thrilled to have this. :rockon:

Attachment 68147
Attachment 68148
Attachment 68149
Attachment 68150
Attachment 68151
Attachment 68152

I MUST HAVE IT! :eek:

bdc 9th June 2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 248968)
Damn! Just found an English friendly French DVD of Antonio Margheriti's HUNTERS OF THE GOLDEN COBRA but the seller won't ship to the UK. :rant: :(

Wondering which dvd that is because I found a French dvd cover online that says French audio only?

Do you have any confirmation there's also English audio?

I should probably be able to get it. ;)

Hawkmonger 9th June 2012 07:33 PM

The world phoned, bdc. It want it's DVD's back.

bdc 9th June 2012 07:49 PM

Too bad,I'm keeping them! :lol:

PaulD 9th June 2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 249230)
Too bad,I'm keeping them! :lol:

I'd honestly love to see pictures of your collection. Seriously - do it! :)

bdc 9th June 2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 249232)
I'd honestly love to see pictures of your collection.

I don't have that many dvd's really compared to some other collectors (I've seen much larger collections on dvdaf) but I only buy things I'm really interested in,not every dvd that I spot. ;)

I mean I try to be more selective about my purchases,I'm also still upgrading my old vhs collection.

I've posted some pics of my Code Red collection in the past but my camera is very old and I rarely find the time to make pics.

PaulD 9th June 2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 249233)
I don't have that many dvd's really compared to some other collectors (I've seen much larger collections on dvdaf) but I only buy things I'm really interested in,not every dvd that I spot. ;)

I mean I try to be more selective about my purchases,I'm also still upgrading my old vhs collection.

I've posted some pics of my Code Red collection in the past but my camera is very old and I rarely find the time to make pics.

You disappoint me :) You must have a great HK cinema collection!

bdc 9th June 2012 08:25 PM

It's ok but still needs some more titles. ;)
Wish I had started collecting HK dvd's somewhat earlier...
Maybe I'll make some pics someday.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 249180)
You can't argue for the good cheesy fun it will provide though

A bag of Wotsits would have been better. :p

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 09:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just two arrivals this week.

The Studio Classics set contains four discs.

Black Widow
Call Northside 777
Dangerous Crossing
Laura

From what i understand Laura is a classic of Noir cinema.

Pete 9th June 2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 249221)
Wondering which dvd that is because I found a French dvd cover online that says French audio only?

Do you have any confirmation there's also English audio?

I should probably be able to get it. ;)

It's the Opening DVD. A couple of sites I looked at claimed it has English audio. PLEASE SAY IT DOES!

Prince_Vajda 9th June 2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 249243)

It definitely is. A very fine film with a clever story and outstanding performances of Gene Tierney (damn, I love this beautiful lass! :love: ), Vincent Price, and Dana Andrews. They're all excellent, but Clifton Webb outplays them all. Such a great film!

It's not only a classic of Noir cinema, it's one of the best movies ever made. Brilliant is the word. :nod: :clap:

Greetings!

bdc 9th June 2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 249245)
It's the Opening DVD. A couple of sites I looked at claimed it has English audio. PLEASE SAY IT DOES!

I'll have to check online as I don't have it. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 249247)
It definitely is. A very fine film with a clever story and outstanding performances of Gene Tierney (damn, I love this beautiful lass! :love: ), Vincent Price, and Dana Andrews. They're all excellent, but Clifton Webb outplays them all. Such a great film!

It's not only a classic of Noir cinema, it's one of the best movies ever made. Brilliant is the word. :nod: :clap:

Greetings!

With that build up i'm certainly looking forward to watching it now. :nod:

bdc 9th June 2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 249245)

According to what I read on a French forum it seems it has but the film on the dvd is actually Ark of the Sun God?! :confused:

Pete 9th June 2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 249254)
According to what I read on a French forum it seems it has but the film on the dvd is actually Ark of the Sun God?! :confused:

This is the one I'm talking about:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Could there actually be DVD's of both?

bdc 9th June 2012 10:01 PM

I'm talking about that one as well. ;)

Seems the label "mixed up" the titles of the 2 films.

The complete French title on the dvd is Les aventures du Cobra D'or:le temple de l'enfer.

Notice the added "The Temple of Doom" (freely translated).

So they seem to maybe have wanted to retitle this to look like a sequel?

The correct French title of Hunters of the Golden Cobra is Les aventurIERS du Cobra D'or btw.

So seems there is no French release of Hunters of the Golden Cobra from what I've read...

Pete 9th June 2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 249261)
I'm talking about that one as well. ;)

Seems the label mixed up the titles of the 2 films.

The complete French titles on the dvd is Les aventures du Cobra D'or:le temple de l'enfer.

Notice the added "The Temple of Doom" (freely translated).

Ah ok. I'm actually a little bit glad it's ARK OF THE SUN GOD as I want to see that one a bit more.

bdc 9th June 2012 10:08 PM

Well according to the French guys on the forum... ;)

Pete 9th June 2012 10:13 PM

I'm glad it's actually ARK OF THE SUN GOD as it means I won't have to track down that elusive Italian release! But then I'm also sad because I don't think there is a release of HOTGC.

SharonLynette 9th June 2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Black Widow
Call Northside 777
Dangerous Crossing
Laura

Now that is a fine collection.

Nordicdusk 9th June 2012 11:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 68287

Attachment 68288

Attachment 68289

Attachment 68290

Nordicdusk 9th June 2012 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 68291

bdc 10th June 2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 249264)
I'm glad it's actually ARK OF THE SUN GOD as it means I won't have to track down that elusive Italian release! But then I'm also sad because I don't think there is a release of HOTGC.

The Japanese vhs of Hunters seems to have the best presentation (and English audio).

Hawkmonger 10th June 2012 09:39 AM

Found this in CEX yesterday for 50p.
I'm sure my cash starpped wallet can spare that much.
And excelent and sometimes creepy mockumentary that I have been hunting for for years.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th June 2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 249247)

It's been a while since I saw Laura, but agree 100% with your comments. It's a brilliant film, superbly scripted, directed with style and knowing humour and with pitch perfect performance from the entire cast.

It's a five-star film and no one should be disappointed.

SharonLynette 10th June 2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 249294)
Found this in CEX yesterday for 50p.
I'm sure my cash starpped wallet can spare that much.

And excelent and sometimes creepy mockumentary that I have been hunting for for years.

I'm very jealous, 50p! I've been wanting to see this but haven't found a cheap copy myself.

Hawkmonger 10th June 2012 10:07 AM

I'ts yours for £20! :tongue1:

Bringer Of Funerals 10th June 2012 11:00 AM

Ive bought the dvd Fist Of Legend by Cine Asia in HMV for £7, what is Ghostwatch anyway

SharonLynette 10th June 2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 249302)
I'ts yours for £20! :tongue1:

Very randomly (mainly because there is never anything I want to stream from them) lovefilm has it to stream, watching it now!

Gojirosan 10th June 2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Black Widow
Call Northside 777
Dangerous Crossing
Laura

Crikey Dem! What a cracking set! As others have said, Laura is a stone masterpiece, but Call Northside 777 is just superb too. It's well rated, but still under-rated, I reckon. It has a brilliant cast, all on top form and Henry Hathaway's economical, vérité-esque directorial style is just ideal. I love that film. May have to watch it again now! :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th June 2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 249322)
Crikey Dem! What a cracking set! As others have said, Laura is a stone masterpiece, but Call Northside 777 is just superb too. It's well rated, but still under-rated, I reckon. It has a brilliant cast, all on top form and Henry Hathaway's economical, vérité-esque directorial style is just ideal. I love that film. May have to watch it again now! :lol:

The only one i've seen is Call Northside 777, a very long time ago.

The set was around a tenner delivered, region 1 of course.

Its always worth keeping an eye on what the major studios release as sets without any fanfare.

Pete 10th June 2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 249293)
The Japanese vhs of Hunters seems to have the best presentation (and English audio).

I shall try and seek that out.

Cheers, B. :)

Hawkmonger 10th June 2012 03:11 PM

I buckeled and nabbed this for a fiver. :rolleyes:
I've just applied for a second job to carry me over during the summer holidays and stop me going mad, so I should have alot more dosh to through around.

demonknight 10th June 2012 03:15 PM

I would have to agree with bizarre eye. Excessive packaging is a good thing when what I order arrives in perfect condition. When I buy something on line I expect it to arrive in one piece and damage/dent free. Keep it up amazon.

SharonLynette 10th June 2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 249346)
I buckeled and nabbed this for a fiver. :rolleyes:

I've just applied for a second job to carry me over during the summer holidays and stop me going mad, so I should have alot more dosh to through around.

Bargain. Watched this again recently when it was on TV (keep meaning to replace my video copy), really put me in the mood to go on holiday.

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th June 2012 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bought the original region 1 dvd of Conan The Barbarian from ebay for £2. Non-anamorphic, but I only bought it for the artwork :)

Attachment 68409