Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Inspector Tanzi 5th February 2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 126491)
I didn't like the DC of The Warriors at all and have only kept the DVD for it's extras, the theatrical version is the superior cut.

Definately, wasn't gone on them comic pages.

Paul@TheOverlook 5th February 2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 126493)
Definately, wasn't gone on them comic pages.

They're proper pony, that's why!

the blob 5th February 2011 10:47 PM

I still haven't even touched the seal on my HD DVD. Everyone said the comic scenes were crap so I took their word for it and I'll probably just watch my old Theatrical dvd again next time.

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th February 2011 11:18 PM

They are crap. Hill's raspy voiceover at the beginning of the DC is crap and the re-ordering of escape from the cops in the subway and the introduction of the baseball furies is unforgivable and ruins the flow.

oaxaca 6th February 2011 12:11 AM

Watched 2 blu rays so far this weekend:

DR ZHIVAGO - Classic! Epic Russian saga featuring breathtaking cinematography and an all-star cast; including Omar Sharif who seems to start crying every other shot :p. PQ and sound both excellent considering the film is 45 years old.

THE PROFESSIONALS - Fun & well shot western set during the Mexican Revolution. Lancaster is on good form, as is Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan & Jack Palance. Claudia Cardinale is the femme fatale. Again the AV is spot on; its amazing how much of the movie looks as though it was made yesterday!

Bought another classic tonight (last one until next payday :p):
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...-vnWC3WWZwDIzP

As to comments about the Directors Cut of THE WARRIORS; Having never seen the theatrical cut I'm guessing the comic strip bits won't bother me too much. Still, I wish they had put both versions of the film on the BD. Never mind...

Gojirosan 6th February 2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 126514)
They are crap. Hill's raspy voiceover at the beginning of the DC is crap and the re-ordering of escape from the cops in the subway and the introduction of the baseball furies is unforgivable and ruins the flow.

I agree to all those points...

...but rather than actually "crap" I found it "weird". Still wish the original print had been used.

But nonetheless, it's a superb Blu. Picture quality is crisp and the colours are amazing. Still worth a watch, I think. I've had no inkling to get rid of my Blu DC.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th February 2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 126514)

Totally agree with all the above comments regarding this.
Spoils an otherwise perfect film.

oaxaca 6th February 2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 126573)
Totally agree with all the above comments regarding this.
Spoils an otherwise perfect film.

Surely its how Hill would have wanted us to see his film though? Do directors cuts not generally mean the director was unhappy with certain aspects of the theatrical cut and wanted to amend them, hence deliver to the audience a film as close to his original intention as possible.

I suppose this doesn't necessarily make a directors cut 'better'... just truer to the director's original conception.

But as we are talking about a very capable director/screenwriter/producer in Walter Hill, his cut should in theory improve the film. Obviously what happens in theory and reality are often different. And I can't really comment as I haven't seen EITHER version of the film yet :p

Inspector Tanzi 6th February 2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 126576)
Surely its how Hill would have wanted us to see his film though? Do directors cuts not generally mean the director was unhappy with certain aspects of the theatrical cut and wanted to amend them, hence deliver to the audience a film as close to his original intention as possible.

I suppose this doesn't necessarily make a directors cut 'better'... just truer to the director's original conception.

The biggest problem for me is that the comic scenes look too fresh, not like comic art from the 70's but more like a mid/late 90's style onwards.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th February 2011 12:11 PM

I grew tired of waiting for my order to be shipped from DVD Pacific so ordered the R1 Flesh for Frankenstein from Amazon marketplace.