Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th January 2019 04:08 PM

Red Sparrow is cut for a 15 certificate in case you didn't know, Nos.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th January 2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 596053)
Are you familiar with any of the films in those 101 western sets Dem?

Yes. I already have two of them - Whispering Smith and The Spikes Gang. The Spikes Gang is really good. I don't actually remember Whispering Smith but i have it on a region one set.

I wanted the sets mainly for The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid on the first set and The Way West on set three. The other films were bonuses, i bought set two to complete the set.

I watched Man in the Shadow on Friday night and that was pretty good.

iank 17th January 2019 12:58 AM

Arrived:

https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...575_medium.jpg

gag 17th January 2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 596054)
Red Sparrow is cut for a 15 certificate in case you didn't know, Nos.

The amount of time and money it must cost just to cut a few seconds and in some cases in some films a second or two , a second it hardly noticeable and at times the scene they've cut out isn't really anything worth bothering about , eg might just be a pool of blood .
Yes I'm aware that's how censorship works but at times is it really worth the bother for so little , I can understand if it was a rape scene to a child but not something like a drop of blood or something similar .

g053584398 17th January 2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 596052)
A few things I bought from the 101 Films sale and (yesterday) from HMV. It's an interesting mix of exploitation, cult, trash, recent mainstream blockbusters and classic Swedish cinema, with the limited edition Bergman collection with 31 films 'only' costing £59.99. There are many that boxset I haven't seen, and You Were Never Really Here was a blind buy because of many positive reviews.

Be aware that Truck Turner looks like crap in comparison with the Kino Blu-ray, but it does appear to feature the original score at least.

g053584398 17th January 2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 596053)
Are you familiar with any of the films in those 101 western sets Dem?

I have all three box sets and you get a mixture of academy ratio, widescreen anamorphic and widescreen non-anamorphic transfers. For the money in the sale though they are solid buys.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th January 2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 596124)
The amount of time and money it must cost just to cut a few seconds and in some cases in some films a second or two , a second it hardly noticeable and at times the scene they've cut out isn't really anything worth bothering about , eg might just be a pool of blood .
Yes I'm aware that's how censorship works but at times is it really worth the bother for so little , I can understand if it was a rape scene to a child but not something like a drop of blood or something similar .

12 seconds were cut, gag, not just a drop of blood.

Justin101 17th January 2019 11:58 AM

I still don't count this is a censorship as an uncut 18 is offered but the studio decides that more money would be made by targeting middle teens. It's elective editing. Sometimes done in a way that looks silly (Avengers Assemble) and other times you can't even notice the difference.

However, I'm sure that the couple of thousand pounds it costs the distributor to submit 'for advice' then make the edits and submit for certification, are a drop in the ocean compared to the box office receipts!

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th January 2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 596129)
I still don't count this is a censorship as an uncut 18 is offered but the studio decides that more money would be made by targeting middle teens. It's elective editing. Sometimes done in a way that looks silly (Avengers Assemble) and other times you can't even notice the difference.

However, I'm sure that the couple of thousand pounds it costs the distributor to submit 'for advice' then make the edits and submit for certification, are a drop in the ocean compared to the box office receipts!

I never said it was censorship, only gag said that. It's all about getting as many people as possible to see the film and an 18 certificate in theory narrows that audience down somewhat.

I read the book last year and the scene in question is a lot more harrowing in print than it is on either 15 or 'R' rated version.

Justin101 17th January 2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 596130)
I never said it was censorship, only gag said that. It's all about getting as many people as possible to see the film and an 18 certificate in theory narrows that audience down somewhat.

I read the book last year and the scene in question is a lot more harrowing in print than it is on either 15 or 'R' rated version.

Sorry I know, I wasn't responding to you directly, I've only just seen the conversation and weighing in :lol: It's just what American distributors have been doing it for years with the whole 'cinemas won't take an NC-17 film' thing because it seriously reduces their income. I'm surprised it's taken so long for the UK to get involved with it.

:whip: