Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Wes 30th September 2013 07:13 PM

I love Blair Witch Project, I thought it was real lightning in a bottle stuff, and a brilliant piece of intense psychological Horror. I mean it was a scary movie. The film ushered in a lot of bad found footage movies but the Blair Witch can't be held up for that. Anyway, Man Bites Dog predated it...

Bringer Of Funerals 30th September 2013 07:25 PM

I could have made a better film running round my woods with my friends and recording it

Wes 30th September 2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 369197)
I could have made a better film running round my woods with my friends and recording it

Ha, ha....dude, very harsh !

Refused 30th September 2013 07:30 PM

Can't deny the impact of the film, even though found footage is pretty tiresome these days. The marketing campaign was genius as well.

Wes 30th September 2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 369202)
Can't deny the impact of the film, even though found footage is pretty tiresome these days. The marketing campaign was genius as well.

I probably mentioned this before re: found footage but the idea of the students still filming when everything around them was falling asunder is absurd - but Bram Stoker's characters do the same thing in Dracula - amid all the vampire shenanigans and despite of the horror of the situation, Stoker's characters still find time to jot it all down in their diaries (which is how the book is presented). So, my conclusion would be to just go with it...

bdc 30th September 2013 07:59 PM

Totally forgot to post these,they arrived on Friday. :)

Devil's Express (1976) (Code Red)

Triple Feature (Code Red)
- Female Bunch, The (1969)
- Piranha, Piranha ( Piranha ) (1972)
- Tarzana the Wild Girl ( Tarzana, sesso selvaggio ) (1969)

http://dv1.us/p1/968/210968-d0.jpg http://dv1.us/p1/998/210998-d0.jpg

TJ Doc 30th September 2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 369115)
The Scream Factory version :cool:

I'm 99.9% sure Universal's initial release has the superior transfer. It's also the only version that comes with Terror in the Aisles.

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th September 2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Doc (Post 369218)
I'm 99.9% sure Universal's initial release has the superior transfer. It's also the only version that comes with Terror in the Aisles.

I think there's been some debate about the transfers of both. I heard there were complaints about the Universal release. Ah well.

TJ Doc 30th September 2013 08:26 PM

That would be due to the infamous missing Moustapha Akkad credit (I think Uni even offered replacement discs at one point).

trebor8273 30th September 2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 369217)
Totally forgot to post these,they arrived on Friday. :)

Devil's Express (1976) (Code Red)

Triple Feature (Code Red)
- Female Bunch, The (1969)
- Piranha, Piranha ( Piranha ) (1972)
- Tarzana the Wild Girl ( Tarzana, sesso selvaggio ) (1969)

http://dv1.us/p1/968/210968-d0.jpg http://dv1.us/p1/998/210998-d0.jpg

Quote:

Think i will go for universal release then it's a bit cheaper and never seen terror in the aisles

TJ Doc 30th September 2013 08:35 PM

I should say, Scream's release does have better audio options... but there's only so much you can do with an ancient stereo mix from the early 80s, so I doubt there's much of a discernible difference.

Edgeworth 30th September 2013 09:56 PM

Stuff i've ordered in the past week or so:
To Kill A Mockingbird (digibook), Sudden Death, Mother, Enter The Dragon (40th anniversary), Class of Nuke 'em High, Plague of Zombies, Western collection (The Searchers, Pale Rider, Rio Bravo, Wild Bunch, How the West was Won), Street Fighter Trilogy (DVD) & Big Trouble steelbook, Long Goodbye pre-ordered and paid for!

Gonna be a good month, so much good stuff coming out in October too!

keirarts 30th September 2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 369187)
Bugger all wrong with Blair Witch IMO
Mother of Tears is ok, certainly better than D****la 3D (see, I can't even bring myself to write it!) and the Card Player, but it's no Deep Red or Inferno etc.

Agree on all counts, Dracula 3d is an abomination.

keirarts 30th September 2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

I think Scream Factory's looks a little more 'cleaned' for want of a better term but both releases are great. For Halloween night viewing I would say Terror in the aisles is the best extra!:popcorn:

fuzzymctiger 1st October 2013 01:19 AM

I quite liked the Card Player, so I guess I'll have to check out Mother Of Tears :)

As for Blair Witch, I first saw that a couple of years back after hiring the DVD having only heard the name, and that it was scary.

Found it very slow, but like all good horror movies the last half hour certainly pays off, I found it very creepy.

Linbro 1st October 2013 02:11 AM

Must admit, I was blown away by Blair Witch when I saw it at the cinema, on its release. Still enjoy watching it now, but it was much more effective on the big screen.
It's well worth looking up the short story 'Sticks', by the late, great Karl Edward Wagner - some definite 'inspiration' for the film. The real inspiration for the short story is also worth reading, very strange and creepy.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st October 2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 369095)
TANZ DER TEUFEL 2 Extended Cut Mediabook arrived this morning from D&T Mailorder :)

My Re-Animator MediaBook was shipped by them this morning, so I look forward to that arriving.

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st October 2013 03:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Completely forgot that CONVOY was released on blu-ray here in the UK on monday, so I had to order it. Uncut and featuring the original poster artwork, it would've been rude not to.

Attachment 121318

Linbro 1st October 2013 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
'Django Unchained' Aussie steelbook and JB HiFi exclusive of 'No One Lives'.

Linbro 1st October 2013 08:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interior of DU

Linbro 1st October 2013 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Japanese BD's of 'Blue Velvet' (digibook) and 'Mulholland Drive', Arrow 'Squirm'.

Linbro 1st October 2013 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interior of BV - beautiful!

trebor8273 1st October 2013 11:02 AM

6 Attachment(s)
more Deliveries today to add to my shameless collection

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 369317)
more Deliveries today to add to my shameless collection

Don't forget the Shout Halloween 2 is region locked.

trebor8273 1st October 2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 369329)
Don't forget the Shout Halloween 2 is region locked.

Going for the universal version with terror in the aisles documentary which is region free, but getting shout Halloween 3 as well

fuzzymctiger 1st October 2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 369330)
Going for the universal version with terror in the aisles documentary which is region free, but getting shout Halloween 3 as well

Universal's release is the superior in my eyes.

Terror In The Aisles in HD and looks very nice, and the film itself I believe has the superior transfer. Small damage, like scratches and flecks are littered here and there throughout the whole film, but the Shout edition has just stuck it through a filter to remove those, and has a weird noise on it.

As for Halloween 3, it's one of my favorite blu ray, fantastic film, best its ever looked, and the Horror's Hallowed Ground has a pant wettingly hilarious cameo by Mark Patton.

Rik 1st October 2013 03:24 PM

Just to derail the thread back to the Blair Witch Project again for a second, try watching it with headphones on, totally different experience!

Anyway, as you were :focus:

trebor8273 1st October 2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 369356)
Just to derail the thread back to the Blair Witch Project again for a second, try watching it with headphones on, totally different experience!

Anyway, as you were :focus:

Well years since I seen it, so might give it a shot but I can't see it making the characters any less annoying and wanting to keep punching them in the face

ArgentoFan1987 1st October 2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 369364)
Well years since I seen it, so might give it a shot but I can't see it making the characters any less annoying and wanting to keep punching them in the face

Well, all the character hate each other and I think that hating them yourself worked for the film.

Wes 1st October 2013 04:39 PM

Yasujiro Ozu: The Gangster Films

If you build it he will come... I've had this 2-disc BFI set in my Amazon cart for ages (never dipping below 18 bucks) so was really pleased to see this on Base earlier for £7.29...

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org....?itok=TGwmuo_Z

monkeyscreams 1st October 2013 04:49 PM

Pre-ordered from Eureka:
- Mabuse, der Spieler (steelbook)
- late Mizoguchi boxset

:clap:

Eureka Offers - New Releases

trebor8273 1st October 2013 06:06 PM

Just ordered

from ebay seller ludovico

Basket case trilogy steelbook 10.99

Scanners steelbook 8.99

From beyond blu ray 8.99

From amazon

Halloween 2 universal import

Shout factory Halloween 3

Rik 1st October 2013 06:15 PM

Here's the link for the shop for those interested
Childrens, Comedy items in DVD store on eBay!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st October 2013 06:33 PM

My limited edition Evil Dead 2 wooden box arrived today, and it's a really nice package. Pictures will follow, but the most important thing is probably the AV quality on the BD.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st October 2013 06:39 PM

I just ordered the From Beyond BD from eBay – £8.99 is a great price.

Wes 1st October 2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 369392)
Here's the link for the shop for those interested
Childrens, Comedy items in DVD store on eBay!

Sadly, this store doesn't need any business off us Europeans... I'm only slightly bitter, ahem...

Postage to: United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Germany

Excludes: Russian Federation, Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Ukraine, Vatican City State

nekromantik 1st October 2013 07:15 PM

Yesterday's arrival! Can't wait until February for SF release plus it contains all 3 cuts in HD while SF will only include DC.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/02/e8uqu7a4.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Edgeworth 1st October 2013 08:05 PM

http://eurekavideo.co.uk/kevin/img/MIZ.jpg

Eureka pre-orders for this month are up, gonna pay for Mabuse and Red River when i'm not so broke. Mizoguchi set a steal at £38, can't wait!

monkeyscreams 1st October 2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgeworth (Post 369435)
[Mizoguchi set a steal at £38, can't wait!

38 gbp is a very good price, 8 films, 4 discs and a massive book. Only 2000 copies.

SShaw 1st October 2013 09:45 PM

Down Terrace and Jersey Girl turned up from Amazon.com