Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

42ndStreetFreak 26th January 2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LineSix (Post 59680)
Good choice! Doctor Who is awesome, although I have to say I'm not that interested in the new series, it's pretty good but just doesn't have the same feel that the classics had. In the classic series you would get a storyline carefully developing over six or so episodes (give or take), now it's just one 45 minute flash in the pan and thats it, done and dusted.

Agreed. You miss the plot development and indeed the cliff hangers in the new "Dr Who". It's all rushed and shouted and makes little or no sense to any young children.

I do like the way the FX can add more to an enemy (like making the Daleks look like a real universal threat) and it's quite good the way they have made the sheer weight of time (and loss over that time) effect the Doctor's character.
But the rushed, wildly over the top attitude and constant running and shouting sap the series of any effective sci-fi mechanics grip on the viewer or any really fleshed out stories.

Ste67GB 26th January 2010 08:48 PM

Re:What films have you purchased recently?

Bargain at 9 quid from amazon - got the classassic Sci-Fi Collection : Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers / Thing From Another World / Incredible Shrinking Man / This Island Earth / Creature From The Black Lagoon / It Came From Outer Space [DVD]

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

Gojirosan 26th January 2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Strange (Post 59677)
I want to pick up the Blind Dead films, but I'm a bit put off by talk of cuts and PAL>NTSC transfers. Did you order the US or UK set?

The US one. Hence why it's taking ages, I suppose!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th January 2010 09:22 PM

Blind Dead films are class.

Picked up COFFIN ROCK and WHITEOUT (Blu Ray) today from ASDA.
CREEPSHOW BR arrived in the post!:cool:

Rob Strange 27th January 2010 02:29 PM

The Creepshow bd is very nice. I've still not seen the Blind Dead films - just never got around to watching them.

pedromonkey 27th January 2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste67GB (Post 59694)
Bargain at 9 quid from amazon - got the classassic Sci-Fi Collection : Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers / Thing From Another World / Incredible Shrinking Man / This Island Earth / Creature From The Black Lagoon / It Came From Outer Space [DVD]

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

very cool set, and for 9 quid very cool price, i've got the first 4 on single discs but am looking to get Creature and It came. Incredible shrinking man is an excellent film along with the others but that is a stand out title in an already outstanding set.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th January 2010 07:57 PM

Like that signature Pedro.Let's hope you never get drunk with Mad Mel eh?:biggrin:

pedromonkey 27th January 2010 08:24 PM

I tell you what reaps, that would be one hell of a night, walking around calling rozzers sugar titz then we'd be chased like the toecutter, smash through a caravan at highspeeds, heading to an oil refinery (petrol station) where we'd fight the evil Humongus, find a feral kid ( chav) and beat it up, win a massive poker championship by luck, blasphem at a priest, denie the holocaust and end up back at mine for a LETHAL WEAPON marathon just as danny glover turns up to proclaim that he is too old for this shit......crowe aint got shit on gibson.:rockon:

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th January 2010 09:36 PM

Just bought the region 1 Blind Dead Collection on ebay for £25.They better be good after people on here saying they are. :lol:

vincenzo 27th January 2010 09:54 PM

The first one takes a while to get going but when it does it's superb. The second one is equally good.

Galleon and Seagulls impressed me not. :ohwell: