LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2024, 01:25 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Sorry to be mainstream but a 10 pounds blu-ray copy of Disney's new Haunted Mansion arrived today (while I still had a free prime trial). Unlike the critics (I think only youtuber Chris Stuckmann gave it a positive review), I thought this was a very much fun supernatural family film. My wife and I had a good time when we first saw it.

In short, this film was quite good family fun and I'm glad to own a physical copy. Looking forward to us revisiting it.
There's no need to apologise for liking a mainstream film and enjoying something most critics didn't.

Humour is very subjective so all that's important is that you and your wife enjoyed it, and will probably take a lot of pleasure in watching the film whenever you want to, regardless of what streaming services (if any) you have.

I half-watched Haunted Mansion a few weeks ago (I was watching the film while sorting some things out, so didn't give it my undivided attention) and, while I didn't think it was a great film, I'd be lying if I said I was bored or disinterested by a film with heart, a fine ensemble cast, and an engaging storyline.

I've been meaning to rewatch it for a couple of weeks, so I'll try and do that this weekend.
SymbioticFunction likes this.
Old 15th February 2024, 07:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Picked up some cds.

Round The Horne Vol 14

Round The Horne - The Very Best Vol 1

Both in excellent condition. £3 the pair.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th February 2024, 11:14 AM
Cult Master

So... feeling a bit down, I decided to treat myself to a copy of 'The Complete Monterey Pop Festival' Criterion Blu-Ray as a mail-order thing from CEX. It cost me £15:00

When it arrived through the post, I was extremely disappointed to see the state it was in. There *should* have been a big (80 page) booklet with it, but this was missing from the case, which meant that box was crushed

Obviously, I did what everyone does in the 21st century - I posted a scathing 1* review on their website

A few hours later I had an e-mail from them saying they would 'look into things' which they did do and (to their credit) they admitted that the product was inferior and not as advertised (due to the missing booklet), immediately refunded my money and told me to keep the discs

As a result, I have effectively acquired a free 3-disc Blu-Ray of the very first rock festival !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broken Case.jpg (100.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Creased Box.jpg (98.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Creased Interior Spine.jpg (93.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Misshapen Case.jpg (95.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Twisted Case.jpg (96.3 KB, 30 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th February 2024, 11:19 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
So... feeling a bit down, I decided to treat myself to a copy of 'The Complete Monterey Pop Festival' Criterion Blu-Ray as a mail-order thing from CEX. It cost me £15:00

When it arrived through the post, I was extremely disappointed to see the state it was in. There *should* have been a big (80 page) booklet with it, but this was missing from the case, which meant that box was crushed

Obviously, I did what everyone does in the 21st century - I posted a scathing 1* review on their website

A few hours later I had an e-mail from them saying they would 'look into things' which they did do and (to their credit) they admitted that the product was inferior and not as advertised (due to the missing booklet), immediately refunded my money and told me to keep the discs

As a result, I have effectively acquired a free 3-disc Blu-Ray of the very first rock festival !!
Oh well. Can't really complain then can you.

It's a poor show that they sent out a product that was incomplete in the first place, but the fact the issue was rectified immediately shows good customer aftercare which to me is as important as anything.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 16th February 2024, 11:29 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Oh well. Can't really complain then can you.

It's a poor show that they sent out a product that was incomplete in the first place, but the fact the issue was rectified immediately shows good customer aftercare which to me is as important as anything.
Absolutely

Obviously I'm disappointed about the lack of booklet (which I was really looking forward to reading), but fair play to them for the actions that were taken

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th February 2024, 11:32 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Absolutely

Obviously I'm disappointed about the lack of booklet (which I was really looking forward to reading), but fair play to them for the actions that were taken
It's that feeling of being able to buy with confidence knowing that if something isn't right with your order they will do something about it.
Old 16th February 2024, 11:33 AM
Cult Veteran

CEX are good to their customers really. But, that booklet either went straight in the bin like with slip covers, or they left it in the box on the shelf and someone had robbed it. I doubt the staff knew it was supposed to have one when they packaged it up.

I want that box set myself, it’s pricey in HMV though, would love to watch the Janis Joplin set.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th February 2024, 11:34 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's that feeling of being able to buy with confidence knowing that if something isn't right with your order they will do something about it.

Music Magpie is exactly the same, I’ve had the odd quibble with the quality of something I’ve bought but never an issue with the company who have always either refunded no questions asked or sent me a replacement.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th February 2024, 11:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Music Magpie is exactly the same, I’ve had the odd quibble with the quality of something I’ve bought but never an issue with the company who have always either refunded no questions asked or sent me a replacement.
Yep, Music Magpie are really good too. Must admit i've given up using them though. I mainly ordered cd's but the fact so many releases now are card digipaks i got fed up with buying things that weren't in near mint condition.

In fact i haven't used them since i went to Blu-ray knowing that whatever discs i buy on Blu would be for the very last time ( FFS! It better had be) so i wanted everything to be as near mint as possible, no disc scuffs, nothing. These things are for the rest of my life.

I won't order from Cex or any other second hand products for the same reason. I need to inspect them in the shop as i'm a picky barsteward. You should see me buying books.

The only seller i will buy off are Onlinemusicfilmsandgames on Amazon marketplace because the things they sell categorised as 'near mint' are always shrink wrapped.
Old 16th February 2024, 02:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Arrow Ring collection blu-ray set from Cex. I actually only bought this for a physical copy of Hideo Nakata's Ring 2 (I had a standalone bd copy of the first film already). Saw that sequel a week ago and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Also a second hand bd copy of Nakata's Dark Water arrived which I haven't seen in twenty years, curious as to how I will get on with that as well.

Like this? Share it using the links below!