Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2018, 04:27 AM
Cult Addict

And finally (just because i wanted to know myself) the top ten of all sections combined. (probably...)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Suspiria
The Thing
Martin
Night Of The Living Dead
The Evil Dead
Deep Red
The Beyond
Tenebrae
Inferno

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 14th March 2018, 06:56 AM
Cult Addict

section 2 non prosecuted.

beyond.jpg dead and buried.jpg

Evil_Dead_poster.jpg funhouse.jpg

inferno.jpg late night trains.jpg

LivingDead1.jpg 220px-Possession_film_cover.jpg

witchwho.jpg creepxom#.jpg
Old 14th March 2018, 07:06 AM
Cult Addict

section 3.liable to seizure and confiscation under a 'less obscene' charge

Actually the toughest list.

blueeyesofthebrokendoll1.jpg chant of jimmy.jpg

dawndead.jpg deepred.jpg

220px-Hillshaveeyesposter.jpg suspiria#.jpg

thingca.jpg ShogunAssassin.MoviePoster.jpg

rabi.jpg martin.jpg
Old 14th March 2018, 07:46 AM
Cult Master

My original list of favourite nasties:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
My favourites:

1: The Evil Dead - One of the greatest films ever made. Plus, how can anyone NOT have Sir Bruce Campbell at the top of their list?
2: I Spit On Your Grave - Well deserving of the 'nasty' tag. The rape scenes are truly horrifying, but the feminist revenge scenes are just as powerful
3: Cannibal Holocaust - A truly evil film, that everyone should see at least once in their life
4: Zombie Flesh Eaters - A Great film, with lashing of gore. Not to be taken seriously, and with many scenes that will stay in your mind for days/weeks/years after viewing
5: Absurd - A film that lives up to it's name! Much better than 'Anthropophagus'
6: The House On The Edge Of The Park - Even the butchered Vipco release was disturbing. Violence never looked so gratuitous
7: Tenebrae - One of Argento's best. Transsexuals and axe murders. What's not to like?
8: The Beyond - The second Fulci on my list. Surreal and hypnotic
9: Island Of Death - Another gratuitously disturbing film, and I don't just mean the Demis Roussos theme song!
10: The Last House On The Left - Nasty through and through. The only thing that stopped it from being higher on my list as the unnecessary comic relief
3 new lists:

Section 1: DPP 39 prosecuted films

1: I Spit On Your Grave - Well deserving of the 'nasty' tag. The rape scenes are truly horrifying, but the feminist revenge scenes are just as powerful
2: Cannibal Holocaust - A truly evil film, that everyone should see at least once in their life
3: Zombie Flesh Eaters - A Great film, with lashing of gore. Not to be taken seriously, and with many scenes that will stay in your mind for days/weeks/years after viewing
4: Absurd - A film that lives up to it's name! Much better than 'Anthropophagus'
5: The House On The Edge Of The Park - Even the butchered Vipco release was disturbing. Violence never looked so gratuitous
6: Tenebrae - One of Argento's best. Transsexuals and axe murders. What's not to like?
7: Island Of Death - Another gratuitously disturbing film, and I don't just mean the Demis Roussos theme song!
8: The Last House On The Left - Nasty through and through. The only thing that stopped it from being higher on my list as the unnecessary comic relief
9: Fight For Your Life - Incredibly powerful and, due to the racist elements, highly unlikely to ever be re-released
10: Blood Feast - To quote the director, 'It's no good, but it was the first of its type'

Section 2: Non-prosecuted films

1: The Evil Dead - One of the greatest films ever made. Plus, how can anyone NOT have Sir Bruce Campbell at the top of their list?
2: The Beyond - The second Fulci on my list. Surreal and hypnotic
3: The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue - One of the first film inspired by Romero's original. Still very effective and, with the ecological plot, as timely as ever
4: Inferno - Argento's sequel to 'Suspiria' is another surreal masterpiece. No, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but enjoy the imagery
5: Zombie Creeping Flesh - Laughably inept, but when did that ever stop a film from being enjoyable?
6: Don't Go In The House - Sleazy and nihilistic, but undeniably well acted and disturbing
7: Contamination - Fun 'Alien' rip-off
8: Dead And Buried - Not particularly scary (needle-in-the-eye excepted), this is a nice homage to EC comics or an episode of 'The Twilight Zone'
9: Visiting Hours - Misogynistic and nasty, but a good laugh for those of us who remember when ITV broadcast the uncut version in 1989 resulting in 'words' with the Broadcasting Standards Council
10: The Funhouse - A lesser Tobe Hooper film, but I prefer it to 'Death Trap' (which was also on the list of course)

Section 3: The 'supplemental' list

1: Texas Chain Saw Massacre - How this avoided being included on the section 1 list is anyone's guess. The title alone would have had 'people of a nervous disposition' wringing their hands in despair
2: Shogun Assassin - A beautiful orgy of blood flowing violence
3: Friday 13th - By-the-numbers film, but it's influence on the modern slasher cannot be underestimated
4: Nightmare City - Fast moving 'zombies' a good 25 years before Zack Snyder thought of it!
5: Deep Red - Argento's masterpiece
6: Suspiria - Argento's masterpiece...again!
7: Dawn Of The Dead - Arguably Romero's best zombie film
8: The Thing - A masterclass in practical effects. Even today, almost 40 years later, it is believable
9: Rabid - Scary and believable
10: Zombie Holocaust - A personal favourite, mainly due to the 'bouncing arm' effect!

Bonus list: 10 controversial films that were banned and/or seized by the police, but never classed as Nasties

1: Basket Case
2: Child's Play 3
3: City Of The Living Dead
4: The Exorcist
5: The Last House On Dead End Street
6: Maniac
7: Mother's Day
8: The New York Ripper
9: Scum (BBC Version)
10: Straw Dogs

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th March 2018, 12:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Top ten films from the section 3 list.

Alice Sweet Alice
Dawn Of The Dead
Suspiria
The Thing
Martin
Night Of The Living Dead
Hills Have Eyes
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Deep Red
Phantasm

Some of my favourite horror films ever feature so if ended up doing a top ten of all sections combined it would end up being section 3 heavy i feel.
Is Alice Sweet Alice that good? Better than Suspiria and Night of the Living Dead? I really need to watch it again if that's the case.
Old 14th March 2018, 05:00 PM
Cult Addict

No, those are my favourites but not in any order of preference, although i do think 'Alice' excellent.
Demoncrat likes this.

Old 14th March 2018, 05:28 PM
Cult Addict

I never order my lists to preference order as i find it really difficult to narrow it down.

If you must have them in order it probably goes like this, although i would say the top 5 are all rated about the same from me and are all absolute classics.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Suspiria
Night Of The Living Dead
Deep Red
The Thing
Martin
Dawn Of The Dead
Phantasm
Alice Sweet Alice
Hills Have Eyes

Old 14th March 2018, 05:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Alice is a grim wee flick. Paula Sheppard only did two films. This and .... Liquid Sky. What a pedigree

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th March 2018, 10:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Section 2: Non-prosecuted films Top 10

Inferno (1980)
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (1974)
The Evil Dead (1981)
The Beyond (1981)
Last Stop on the Night Train (1975)
The Toolbox Murders (1978)
The Slayer (1982)
Don't Go in the House (1979)*
Unhinged (1982)
Visiting Hours (1982)

Like this? Share it using the links below!