Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2020, 09:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As you all should remember I always show some films on Boxing Day. This year will be no different, even if logistically it's a nightmare

Voyage Of The Rock Aliens and Things (with Futtocks End in the middle to lighten the mood slightly )

Ahem.
If I get my hands on Fatman, then I'll watch that methinks.
Otherwise tis BC, EA, CE, IUSA etc.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 2nd December 2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 1st December 2020, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fred Claus. 2007.

Fred is Nick's big bitter brother who moves to the North Pole to help out in exchange for money, When a efficiency expert turns up and causes chaos Fred tries his best to behave.

Over the last two years This film has come to grow on me, I may not be a Vince Vaughn fan but this one I do like him in, Paul Giamatti seem to have good laughs between them as the bitter brothers. Kathy Bates and Trevor peacock play the parents and Rachel Weisz as Fred's girlfriend who try a intervention on how bad Fred's jealousy really is. The start of the film becomes heartwarming on the story of St. Nick, then when Vince makes a appearance it becomes a good laugh. Keven Spacey plays the efficiency expert who seems to despise Christmas, Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

vRqKw0PFHnYfV0pc5dC1ulNfe1e.jpg
Old 2nd December 2020, 09:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Die Hard. 1988.

New York cop John McClane travels to L.A. to be with his family for Christmas, the building where she works is taken over by German terrorists and McClane is forced to take action on his own in the building.

One of greatest action films ever produced, with a case to be made for the the absolute great time of the festive part of the year. The story is nothing special, one building, 20 or so terrorists and one bad ass vest wearing Bruce Willis. Its basically Bruce vs. the bad guys. And he does it with style, and many twists along the way.

What follows is just over two hours of high octane action, smart dialogue and technical smarts with unfished floors of the building that makes it McClane's play ground to kill the bad guys, either shooting, throwing them out the window or blowing up a floor and making friends with a routine patrol cop on the outside who got his car smashed to hell.

Alan Rickman does a great job as villain Hans Gruber who wants to show the Nakatomi company what real power is with his side henchman Alexander Godunov who John seems to enjoy upsetting by surviving a gun fight and smart mouth comments.

p10255_p_v10_as.jpg
Old 2nd December 2020, 09:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I just watched Silent Night, Deadly Night for the first time, I really enjoyed it, nothing quite says Christmas like Linnea Quigley having sex on a pool table

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd December 2020, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sint (Saint) (2010)

I've watched this wonderful Christmas horror film every single year since it first came out. I find it so wickedly entertaining.

It's funny and suitably gory as the zombie like Saint Nicholas (Who looks uncannily like Tobias Forge from Ghost) rides his undead horse along rooftops slaying anyone who gets in his way.

Shot in Amsterdam by Amsterdamned director Dick Maas, the film distorts the tradition of Sinterklaas, turning him and his followers into vengeful ghosts and whilst it's not in the least bit scary it is one hell of a fun ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV5BMjA5ODgyMjA5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY3Mzk5Mw@@._V1_.jpg (102.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Die Hard 2: Die Harder. 1990.

John McClane is in Dulles Airport, Washington D.C. waiting for Holly to return home as rogue military seize control and rescue a drug lord from justice. In order to rescue the drug lord the terrorists have taken control of the airport.

Die Hard 2 makes Bruce Willis look better and better. The role of John McClane is one filled with the fight for right and to trying to stop the bad guys. This film has more freedom as it is held at an airport and McClane is all over the place and some tight spaces a swell and close encounter with some hand grenades.

William Sadler plays the Colonel of the military group hoping to rescue a Mexican Army General and drug lord looking for a new peaceful life except he meets McClane. Dennis Franz plays the Airport Police Captain Lorenzo who seems to follow his own judgement and no one else's. John Amos plays Grant who is tasked to deal with the situation.

Although the original is the best movie this is a worthy sequel that I still score very highly. Great plot, great action scenes and fight sequences and simply filled full of fun and some good laughs even with janitor Marv trying to negotiate a deal.

Die_Hard_2.jpg
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010)

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without old naked Santa elves being sold for $85,000 each.

Ten years on this is still an amazingly original Finnish fantasy horror film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rare-Exports-A-Christmas-Tale.jpg (90.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 3rd December 2020, 04:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010)

Ten years on this is still an amazingly original Finnish fantasy horror film.
It's an absolute gem of a film, one I'm glad I watched knowing almost nothing about what it was about. I think it's best experienced with out any knowledge of its content – I wish I'd been watching it on a regular basis for the last decade.
Old 3rd December 2020, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Christmas Carol. 1984.

A bitter old miser s visited by three ghosts to show him the error of his ways and force him to change and show him the meaning of Christmas.

With so many versions of this Charles Dickens tale and we all may have our favorites, this one is always my best version, George C. Scott plays the bitter Ebenezer Scrooge and gives out a great performance even with the mutton chops, even with the change in him on Christmas day makes it more heartwarming and cheerful.

David Warner plays his assistant Bob Cratchit, bringing a more softer sentimental method of acting to the role that does measure up to Scott's performance. Frank Finlay plays the ghost of Jacob Marley and a bit more serious that matches up to Michael Horden in 1951 version. Even though this was a T.V. Movie this does seem to have it's darker moments with the Ghost of Christmas present and the Ghost of Christmas yet to come.

Angela Pleasance, Edward Woodward and Michael Carter play the ghosts that come to visit Scrooge and show him what has happened and what may happen. Roger Rees plays the nephew Fred who tries to get his uncle to warm up to the festive spirit and also the narrator of the film.

XMAS-CAROL-DVD-e1512211182796.jpg
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Christmas Story. 1983.

In 1940s, little Ralphie tries to persuade everyone that a Red Ryder BB gun is the perfect gift, while his family prepare for a Christmas that's to never be forgotten.

"A Christmas Story" tells of the materialistic journey of Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) as he searches for the golden, upheld idol of all red-blooded American boys: A Red Rider Air Rifle while everyone tells him he will shoot his eye out. Ralphie spins an intricate web of cunning and deceit as he plots to get his hands on it - including an essay, a trip to Santa Claus and more. The movie also shows us a glimpse of his family - his irritable, foul-mouthed father who fights with the furnace and has a good heart. His whiny little brother Randy who gets dressed up to go outside in the cold by his sweet natured mother.

From the start right up to the end this is a fun family film that we can all relate to with the preparation of Christmas and the dad getting the Lamp in a shape of a leg that stands out in the window for all to see and thinking it's the golden idol of everything. Every household should have this in their Christmas collection pile.

A-Christmas-Story-Poster.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!