Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th December 2023, 09:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Santa's Summer House (2012)

Cynthia Rothrock? Chris Mitchum? Gary Daniels? Daniel Bernhardt?
and no one gets kicked?? Hmmmm ....

A group lose their way to their destination, finding some solace when a welcoming couple invite them to their abode instead.
The epitome of a write off (10 minute croquet scene cough), this had the usual platitudes, even if it was filmed in summer ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th December 2023, 09:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Santa Clause 2

One of my favorite Christmas Movies, still enjoy it still, this sees Tim Allen have to find a Wife or the desantafication begins. He ends up with a School Principle played by Elizabeth Mitchell. However a Toy Santa has taken over the North Pole.

Elf

There are Film Roles that are only suited for one person and Will Ferrell as Buddy The Elf is one of them, he is so perfect for this Film. Accidentally taken back to The North Poll, he is raised as a Elf but his incompetence leads him to go to New York to find his Dad, also played to perfection by James Cann as the grumpy Novelist. Zooey Deschanel play the girl who he falls for (BTW originally, I thought it was Reece Witherspoon) and Peter Dinklidge has a small cameo as someone who Buddy mistakes for an Elf and is not too pleased. Still really good.

Also this Film is celebrating it's 20th Anniversary this year (FEEL OLD LOL)
Never seen Elf, not a fan of Will Ferrell, when being advertised other day wife said have you ever seen Elf? Thinking she wants to watch it, I said no I'm not a fan of him, she chuckled and said snap.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 25th December 2023, 11:09 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Elf

There are Film Roles that are only suited for one person and Will Ferrell as Buddy The Elf is one of them, he is so perfect for this Film. Accidentally taken back to The North Poll, he is raised as a Elf but his incompetence leads him to go to New York to find his Dad, also played to perfection by James Cann as the grumpy Novelist. Zooey Deschanel play the girl who he falls for (BTW originally, I thought it was Reece Witherspoon) and Peter Dinklidge has a small cameo as someone who Buddy mistakes for an Elf and is not too pleased. Still really good.

Also this Film is celebrating it's 20th Anniversary this year (FEEL OLD LOL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Never seen Elf, not a fan of Will Ferrell, when being advertised other day wife said have you ever seen Elf? Thinking she wants to watch it, I said no I'm not a fan of him, she chuckled and said snap.
According to Chloe's children when they were 10 and 8 (about 17 years ago)... "it's the funniest film ever made"

According to Susan, every year for the last 16 years.. "Meh" !

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th December 2023, 09:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

My Xmas night movie was Happiest Season, the 2020 rom-com/family xmas flick. McKenzie Davis is the chick who takes girlfriend Kristen Stewart home to meet her family and then forces her to pretend to just be her roommate as she's not actually told them she's gay. Shenanigans ensue. Just as fun second time.
Old 25th December 2023, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Christmas Story (2007)

The story of little Nicholas, an orphan who is looked after by a different family every year up until Christmas. Nicholas spends his days carving small wooden toys which he secretly leaves on their doorsteps every Christmas Eve and so the legend of Father Christmas is born. Unfortunately not everything goes to plan.

An utterly charming film from Finland about the legend of Father Christmas. This wonderful little tale is beautifully acted by all concerned and is populated by believable characters and set ups. The cinematography is absolutely stunning, filmed on location in Lapland, the film beautifully captures all that is wondrous about Christmas. From snowy landscapes to the warmth that radiates from the homes and villages, sometimes quite sad and others uplifting, Christmas Story is the perfect fireside tale, especially as it offers a new alternative to the primarily commercial approach of Santa Claus movies that Hollywood would have you lap up.

I've seen this many times over the last couple of decades and it cried out to me ahead of any new blockbuster or any other film to watch this Christmas night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images (Large).jpg (85.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 26th December 2023, 06:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I watched my favourite movie of all time again last night - Casablanca (1942).

Although there isn't a Christmas tree in sight, this single line of dialogue as Humphrey Bogart's Rick Blaine gets all melancholic about the return of old flame Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Bergman), places the film firmly into the Christmas movies category. (For me, anyway )

The best movie of all time is also the best Christmas movie of all time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1686 (Large).JPG (80.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 26th December 2023, 07:31 PM
Cult Addict

I avoid anything Christmas until it's actually upon us, think it makes it more special to get in the Christmas spirit at the actual time, rather than starting in November like some.

Anyway my favourite A Christmas carol film is the Alastair Sim 1951 Scrooge one, but i've watched it for the last few years so thought i'd give this one a go.

51ElCHSV97L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

This i thought was really good as well, George C. Scott is suitably miserable but it's the rest of the cast that add the extra weight, David Warner is really good as Bob Cratchit accompanied by a frail vampire looking Tiny Tim.
Angela Pleasence appears as the ghost of Christmas past, Edward Woodward is Christmas present and Frank Finlay is Marley.

The final ghost is a looming death figure, and it is the ghost story aspect that is really amped up here especially in the first half an hour which was pretty creepy.

I really enjoyed this and felt it was a really well made version, that is in many ways just as good as Sims version.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 26th December 2023, 07:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Teenage Scrooge is Turlough from Doctor Who.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 26th December 2023, 07:40 PM
Cult Addict

Yeah i had to look twice. and was like that's Turlough, the crafty bastard companion.
Demoncrat and iank like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 6th January 2024, 05:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

It Happened on Fifth Avenue (1947)

An utterly wonderful Christmas tale about a drifter and his dog who every year 'move in' to the luxurious New York apartment of a billionaire who vacates the place from November to March. Things start to go haywire when the billionaire's grown up daughter accidentally discovers what is going on.

An charming and heart warming film that's both clever, surprising and funny, the cast are brilliant and the message at the heart of the film is that people are more important than possessions.

A delightful cast including Dom DeFore, Charlie Ruggles and Victor Moore ensure you always watch with a smile on your face but the charm honours always go to Ann Harding who lights up the screen.

To say anything about the film other than the bulk of it plays out in the days from Christmas Eve to New Years Day would spoil it for anyone who wishes to see it. It's definitely worth going into cold and letting it wash over you as come the New Year speech you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

A real Christmas and New Year treat and as life affirming as that Frank Capra / Jimmy Stewart film everyone goes on about.

Watched December 30th.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITHAPPENEDONFIFTHAVENUE.jpg (60.7 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!